Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #441 (permalink)
heading for 40

Hong Kong MTR - '98 Bombardier/ nee Adtranz A-Stock 5 paired doors
90 day: 102.63 mpg (US)
if i am being tailgated during the day i use my left foot to tap the brake enough to get the light on but not engage the brake. i continue at my speed and they back off.
at night i do the same,or i will fiddle with the rear view trying to find the right position to reflect their headlights into their eyes.

does my sig work now?
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #442 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

I don't mind headlight flashing when the slow driver is left lane, in multi lane. Far left lane is for passing only. Ohioans seem to not understand this, one bit.
Is Ohio one of those states that doesn't have a keep right law. The state of Florida doesn't.

Seen in a parking lot.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #443 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

RAV4 - '16 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
I had my first (definitely not the first, but the first I noticed) exasperated tailgater today.

The 2006 Highlander Hybrid's electric-only power is 167HP front, 68HP rear but acceleration is pathetic without the gas engine. Probably to avoid draining the battery very quickly.

I was driving about eighty feet(!) across an intersection to the next left-turn lane and noticed the "hands-up-mouth-open" annoyed look in my rearview from this lady behind me. No, I'm not going to gun it to cover eighty feet after which I have to stop and wait in the left-turn lane like everyone else...
Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #444 (permalink)
Wanting more for less

Metric - '94 Honda Magna 250
Motorcycle
90 day: 69.83 mpg (US)

RedCelica - '94 Toyota Celica ZR
90 day: 35.97 mpg (US)

i30 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.84 mpg (US)

i30-22 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad9660 View Post
Not that long ago on my way home from work late one night I coasted down a big hill on the highway, and was going to coast up to the gas station. There where no other cars on the road and this person tailgated me down to 25 mph. I really can't make sense of it. Since I always drive within 5 mph of the posted speed limit, use to drive slower but quit for safety, I don't feel I am doing anything wrong.
This is a situation I've found myself in, but as the "tailgater".

My commute drops about 2000ft going to work, so I do a lot of EOC and often build excess speed in some spots.
If I come up behind someone, I pass if it's practical.
If I know that I'm about to lose speed on the approaching rise, I follow at the speed of my "leader", rather than get in his way.

If he slows down further, I do too, because I'm still in EOC. I can't know how far he's going to slow down until it happens and I've been "stuck" behind someone turning without signaling before.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #445 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
To my knowledge no, I've never noticed it in the Ohio Revised Code. Oh boy, that might be something Fun to ticket for!

We are pretty similar to Florida, law wise. In MI, driving is fine. Cross That border, and I have to pass in the far right lane all the way through the state.

I get frustrated and accidentally end up tail gating idiots. People who break down a 35mph hill at 35 mph, and then race up the other side. It's nice downshifting.

With tail gaters, i often have to adjust my gear, depending on the rude ness. As in, you fly around a corner, I understand a moment to adjust your speed. 3 minutes on my , er, butt, let me show you some other gears. Now when doing 39 in a 35 in 6th, I don't drop to first. But I will go to 5th, maybe 4th and inform them that I CAN go slower.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #446 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
i usually let the frustration get the better of me, one time somebody was driving so close i honestly could not see their lights. i slowed down and came to a stop and so did they so i threw it in reverse and started playing with them.

if somebody starts riding my ass and wont pass ill brake check, if they still dont pass ill slow way down, still don't pass i stop the car. it'll prolly get me in trouble some day, but i don't put up with bull****.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #447 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The bumper sticker I considered when tailgaters get this close:

You must be Jerry Sandusky!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #448 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
I lean back and act like I am making adjustments to a baby car seat or act like I am tending to a "fussy baby." I used get pissed off people all the time, but now they just assume I am dealing with my newborn. Little do they know, the second he hits the car he falls alseep. lol
Old 07-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #449 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Breeze - '97 Plymouth Breeze
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
Most people tailgating don't give a crap about your bumper stickers and what you're fiddling with in the back seat and stuff. Having a sticker commenting that they're speeding and that you're not slow honestly just makes you look like an old granny behind the wheel who thinks they're doing the world a favor by contributing to traffic slowdown.

Best way to deal with tailgaters is to consider your own driving first, if you're barely skirting at the speed limit or blocking available lanes it might be time to move over, or accelerate and get over. Passing another car at 1 MPH means you're honestly being more of a hazard as well and most truck drivers will tell you the hammer lane isn't for "driving"; its for passing.

Half the reason they hate people tailgating them is because people like to granny past them with little warning which makes paying attention to blind spots nerve-racking. If you're in the left hand lane, its to pass. Its not there to drive and saunter along traffic; a loaded transport truck is huge and its easier to drive not having to constantly stare at a four in your mirror making sure you don't scare them and tag them.

I've drafted transport trucks and some don't mind, but %99 of the time someone slowly irks up behind is because they're on cruise control...and plan to pass on cruise control at the speed of continental drift.

That all being said! You do still get people in far too much of a rush, and often I simply make their lives as difficult as possible to entertain myself knowing that if I could drive anywhere to get away from them I would and their effort is futile. Being tailgated in freeway traffic is pretty hilarious because I am unaware why people think I'll somehow be able to go faster.

And, the classic of course, the unexpected brake-check...never goes out of style, but that's me. Check your skirt at the door. Then again I'm in Canada so the worst I've ever got is "dude bro dude what the dude dude oh my dude you dude suck dude what the dude hell bro dude bro!".

Last edited by RiceCake; 07-23-2012 at 12:18 AM..
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #450 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceCake View Post
Most people tailgating don't give a crap about your bumper stickers and what you're fiddling with in the back seat and stuff. Having a sticker commenting that they're speeding and that you're not slow honestly just makes you look like an old granny behind the wheel who thinks they're doing the world a favor by contributing to traffic slowdown.
Looks like you need a better sense of humor.

A lot of the crazy aggressive driving that includes tailgating is people that simply don't give themselves enough time to get to their destination at a legal speed and/or they don't plan.

When I'm in the rightmost lane of 3-4 freeway lane while the traffic moves freely, and someone tailgates, it's because they don't pay attention more than two car lengths ahead...sorry - I'm not going to compensate for their speeding or distraction issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck. For This Useful Post:
RiceCake (07-23-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread