Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2021, 11:10 PM   #71 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
IMHO it makes more sense to put a solar array on the house[s] with powerwall[s] and reduce the requirement for Big Electricity to become involved.
That would be awesome to do. But then there's the building requirements that make it a lot more expensive then you'd think, or even the question if you're allowed to do so in the first place.

Of course then there's the other aspect of possible incentives to help pay for at least part of the cost.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2021, 03:03 AM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
That's a larger issue. The solution is to turn the building codes back on themselves. Enterprise free zones or something where things can be tried. Let Musk, Bezos and Branson compete in that space.

Apply adversarial generative AI to the question, and houses could be literally dirt cheap.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:05 AM   #73 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's a larger issue. The solution is to turn the building codes back on themselves. Enterprise free zones or something where things can be tried. Let Musk, Bezos and Branson compete in that space.

Apply adversarial generative AI to the question, and houses could be literally dirt cheap.
I don't forsee houses ever becoming dirt cheap. The rich have decided to use real estate as an investment. Making housing dirt cheap would make that investment flop. The rich have better means to lobby against that sort of thing than the poor do.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:27 AM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When I was a young sprout, I sided with the Indians "How can you own your Mother Earth?"
Quote:
The rich have decided to use real estate as an investment. Making housing dirt cheap would make that investment flop.
True until that last year or so but now you have pension fuinds and Black Rock hoovering up the whole market. They may break something. Meanwhile the Dacron hemispherical tents condition the minds of increasing numbers of ex-home owners. They will see a larger 'clean, well lighted space' favorably.

Anaeolian harp built into the roof that whistles when the wind changes direction. Because you don't need a Weatherman to know the thing.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #75 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
The building is cheap, relatively, the bare land is getting rare and expensive in the desirable close to everything locations. On my 1/3 acre lot, I can build 6 houses with typical city sized lots and driveway parking.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #76 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Distributed work will cause an exodus from cities and sprawl out into land that is dirt cheap.

House building will become cheaper when more of the process can become automated. There's got to be a better way to build than how we've been doing it the last hundred years.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 06-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #77 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Distributed work will cause an exodus from cities and sprawl out into land that is dirt cheap.

House building will become cheaper when more of the process can become automated. There's got to be a better way to build than how we've been doing it the last hundred years.
Where's that? Where is this dirt cheap land? I live where the population is very low. You can go for tens of miles with no homes anywhere insight. And yet land prices still keep going up. And building materials are now 3 times what they were a year ago. Plus getting those materials out into the middle of nowhere also costs money. I know, I've worked building houses out in the middle of the forest where your only way in is by snowmobile or a 4WD vehicle that's lifted and has two sets of chains. Forget having electricity, sewer, cell service, etc. You're only connection out there is satelite.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #78 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Sounds like newmexico.
The fact that it keeps people away is what appeals to me.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:56 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda - '12 Mazda 3 Skyactiv
90 day: 32.58 mpg (US)
For me I always think about the used market, because I have yet to buy a brand new car but I'm only 35. Used cars also represent the majority of vehicles on the road, I suspect with no evidence. Until the used combustion vehicles are gone, and really until truly cheap evs are available both new and used, we're going to have combustion engines on the road for many years to come. I'm expecting to get a PHEV for my next car so I can use the electric range around town but still be able to get on the interstate loops (we have an excellent wheel and spoke system here in my opinion and I happen to enjoy living near 410) or go north or whatever.
I see price as the main barrier to adoption. Power generation is definitely something that's going to be addressed, but if we're talking about 10 or 15 (or more) years, then there's time to build more plants. I think trying to conceptualize a model like "build a new plant every week for the next however long" doesn't take into account that we could build 50 plants simultaneously if the demand and money are there; it's not as though we have to build them in order. It's useful for showing the gulf we need to cross but it comes off a little "sky is falling" because that's not going to stop us from getting there. It's a delay at worst, and we need more and better power generation anyway. Looking at only one source, it appears that on average it only takes about 70-80 months to build a new nuclear power plant. I can't post links yet but it's from the iaea website, their latest press release about nuclear power for 2021.
I'm not very good at arguing so if you push back I'll fold like a cheap deck. I just wanted to say my piece.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to falkin42 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (06-26-2021), Joggernot (06-28-2021), JSH (06-28-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
There's got to be a better way to build than how we've been doing it the last hundred years.
2x4s and wire nails date to the rebuilding after Great Chicago fire about 140 years ago. Fuller's first failed invention was the Stockade Block.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockade_Building_System

That was 1922-27, about a century ago.