Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #1261 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Boy, you guys are amazingly smart. Is tobacco safe to smoke, too? Cuz' the people who are pulling the wool over your eyes about climate change, are doing what the tobacco industry did.

They paid doctors to say that smoking was actually healthy...

Do you have any other conspiracy theories, or just this one?

Donald Trump *almost* convinced me that global warming is a hoax, but he distracted me with his winning comb over.

And Christopher Monckton too, just blew me away with his mastery of the science - but when he claimed to have a cure for AIDS and the common cold, that was just too much!

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 01-12-2014 at 12:31 AM..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-12-2014, 03:02 AM   #1262 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
If you turn that off then you also turn off any hope of having a modern society at all.

I like 2014. I prefer it to 1745.
There's a couple of you that I think aren't familiar with the content of the five links provided. TL;DR: If the overall efficiency of industrial society (~4% in the 70s) can be doubled (to 8%), then twice the people can be accomodated with the same energy inputs or the same number can be elevated with reduced inputs.

Quote:
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Quote:
“We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.”
Quote:
“In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete.”
...I could go on.

'ASAP' means expeditiously phasing obsolete tech into a recycling input, not going back to the *beep*ing stone age.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #1263 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
...I talked to one of the pilots of the B-58 once, and being pre-titanium, the plane could go so fast, it would melt if they over did it..
Concorde had sliding toilet doors I believe, because the plane would get longer due to friction and heat. This may be a legend though...

Old 01-12-2014, 05:16 AM   #1264 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Is tobacco safe to smoke, too?
Given my mother died last July from cancer brought on by 60 years of smoking, no I don't believe that and never have.

Last edited by Arragonis; 01-12-2014 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: diagnosis.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #1265 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
The universe is inherently unsafe, the surface of an infinitely small speck called earth is the only place known to support life, and even there, no guarantees are given. Do you think that overcrowding that space is "safe"?

Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #1266 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
How do we get those areas where overcrowding occurs, to slow the rate of reproduction? I ask again, how much of my hard earned money do you want the Government to take, to spend on vote buying schemes?
How many of those citing the Tobacco Industry for the death brought about by their "Legal" products, are also all for Legalizing Pot smoking?

Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #1267 (permalink)
The PRC.

Population growth is actually slowing. Shocking but true.

Make people wealthier (and no that does not mean an SUV, 50inch TV etc - just ensure clean water, food, energy and healthcare) and population growth slows more.

Otherwise who decides who lives and dies ? For those of you who have kids - think about that really really carefully.

Suspect - I doubt you have kids, just tappin.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #1268 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Boy, you guys are amazingly smart.
Sarcasm without substance convinces no one of your position.

Quote:
Is tobacco safe to smoke, too? Cuz' the people who are pulling the wool over your eyes about climate change, are doing what the tobacco industry did.
No, there is a difference. The fact that smoking is a health hazard was provable. The propaganda that climate change is caused by man is unprovable.

Quote:
They paid doctors to say that smoking was actually healthy...
Exactly. Just as the government and well funded political entities are now paying scientists, directly and indirectly through funding to maintain a politically useful ideological position. Same thing, different interest!

Quote:
Do you have any other conspiracy theories, or just this one?
The fact that science is subsidized is not a conspiracy theory. The subsidies and grant money from government and foundations to institutions are the rewards. The punishment is that if you do not agree with the plurality of your collleagues, you risk losing your position as an academic or a scientist. Harassment and retaliation are common to both politics and scientific research.
Quote:
Donald Trump *almost* convinced me that global warming is a hoax, but he distracted me with his winning comb over.
Donald Trump is not an official spokesman for everyone who maintains that global warming / climate change is a politically useful stratagem. If the only negative criticism you have of Donald Trump is his deficient hair, you aren't a very astute activist, Neil.

I'll do it for you: Donald Trump is a bombastic blowhard. But his persona does not necessarily make him incorrect in disagreeing with the climate change ploy. In short, your appeal to emotion by ridicule of a public personality is not a convincing argument.

The Following User Says Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
mcrews (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #1269 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
How many of those citing the Tobacco Industry for the death brought about by their "Legal" products, are also all for Legalizing Pot smoking?
I live in Massachusetts. I'd rather they ban pot and legalize fireworks.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #1270 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Concorde had sliding toilet doors I believe, because the plane would get longer due to friction and heat.
And... a pivot into left field. How about a couple more?

Quote:
“Love is omni-inclusive, progressively exquisite, understanding and compassionately attuned to other than self.”
Quote:
“Dear reader, traditional human power structures and their reign of darkness are about to be rendered obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller, Cosmography: A Posthumous Scenario for the Future of Humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard
Is tobacco safe to smoke, too?
They were called 'coffin nails' in the 1950s.

Quote:
I'd rather they ban pot and legalize fireworks.
Why not both?

Closed Thread  Post New Thread