Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #121 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here is a Cherokee limited( an image I found online) with a photoshopped aeromod idea. The roof is curved, much like a Grand Cherokee, and meets with the second windshield, which meets with a sloping front end. The roof mod could be done with some sheet metal and could be removable. The same with the front end( removable for off road use, etc.) although I'd see that alteration possibly interfering with the operation of the headlights. The second windshield would be covered in rain-x and would also be removable. This mod would probably be expensive and I'd imaging finding a way to attach the windshield would be rather difficult.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cherokeemod2small.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1902  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #122 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Taurus - '99 Ford Taurus SE
90 day: 17.89 mpg (US)

Windstar1 - '97 Ford Windstar Cargo
90 day: 16.99 mpg (US)

Vulcan - '97 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
90 day: 45.96 mpg (US)

Suzuki - '09 Suzuki SX4 Technology AWD
90 day: 24.62 mpg (US)
hideous and also although they make a big deal about the angle of approach, they leave the rear and sides dirty. which is more important.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #123 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The point of the design is to increase MPG.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #124 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Taurus - '99 Ford Taurus SE
90 day: 17.89 mpg (US)

Windstar1 - '97 Ford Windstar Cargo
90 day: 16.99 mpg (US)

Vulcan - '97 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
90 day: 45.96 mpg (US)

Suzuki - '09 Suzuki SX4 Technology AWD
90 day: 24.62 mpg (US)
no im saying that it for aerodynamics, the air exit is more important than air entry.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:14 AM   #125 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

98 Cherokee - '98 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 17.18 mpg (US)

ZX7R Ninja - '99 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
90 day: 42.45 mpg (US)
It's an interesting idea. Be it's very extensive and probably cost a fair amount. I understand what achang1 is talking about where it would probably make more sense to invest the time and money on the back of the Jeep. Some sort of SUV boat tail.

One thing I have been looking at is a small kammback? off the back window. I've been noticing more of the newer SUV's out there with a little wing off the back. One thing I'm not sure about is if the airflow over the vehicle reattaches before the back window of the Jeep. That would be a big factor with this mod.
Click image for larger version

Name:	lexus_suv.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1908

Another thing I've thought about is extending the rear bumper with some sort of a step with the right angle to keep the flow attached a little farther back.

Both of these would only be 6-10in long max. Just enough to get the effects going.

Adjusted for my driving habits. 80%city/20%Highway.
20mpg city/30mpg highway or bust! Check out my mods so far
Old 10-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #126 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

jeepin xj (pro jeep ecomodder/hypermiler) - '95 JEEP CHEROKEE XJ
Last 3: 21.58 mpg (US)
Im not sure about the rear wing if that helps or not but I have a 95 XJ and ive been inspired by this site and others fora couple months now. I have done many many mechanical mods and minor aero mods but these belly pans look good my next project i think. Also what else do you guys have done here is my long list.

1995 jeep cherokee 2 door auto 4.0
-50psi all 4 tires
-removed roof rack, removed all carpets and did rino lined floors, removed rear seats, spare tire, jack, hitch, and other heavy items removed front driveshaft too
-Hydrogen cell producing about 1.8 to 2.0 using KOH, a bubbler, and injected in intake tube right before TB. also have an efie to lean out the 02 and map sensor
-all new jeep sensor, map, 02, iac, iat, temp etc.
-custom large 3.0 inch warm air intake off the header
-pacesetter header back exhuast with high flow cat
-new bosch fuel efficent spray injectors, old jeep ones are ineficent pencil spray
-all accell high output wires, coil, cap, rotor.
-e3 larger gapped plugs than stock
-all low viscosity oils 0w20motor, 75 80w differentals and all sunthetic fluids everywhere. high efficent oil filter for synthetics (AMSOIL)
-add 5 ounce acetone, 5 ounce xylene, and 2 ounce 2 cycle synthetic additive to every fill up
-blow by catcher off of pcv valve keeps that extra oil out
-removed clutch fan and have adjustable temp electric fan coming on at 210, also have highest 195 thermostat to run as hot as possible
-throttle body spacer with the tornado lines in it supposivley helps mpg
-run engine restore every oil change, run z max every other oil change in everything, run octane boost every 3 fuel fill ups, run fuel system cleaner every 4 fill ups.

Yea long list im sure ive forgot some but i still cant get past 20mpg city, I DONT DRIVE HIGHWAY THIS IS ALL CITY.

What else can i do besides buy a hybrid, lol
I am still tuning the HHO, i have obd1 so no scan guage i have talked to yoshi and he is building me a US mpgguino and i need to install a wideband 02 sensor so i can lean it out the hho safely. Also should i do that newer intake manifold that suppoisvley gives the older 4.0 motors better hp, or is that just hp at wot or better FE all around? i may do it what you tink.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #127 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Similar experience until I found this site

Aero mods won't help very much in city driving. You might benefit from some instrumentation to help you change your driving style and see how best to drive your particular vehicle.

One thing you could try is the alternator delete or disconnect and charge your battery at home. If you had a scangauge or mpguino you would see the effect right away. Then you have a hybrid without buying a new car.

My Previa minivan was getting horrid mileage like 15 - 20 max now I get 27 - 37. My biggest change in FE was the addition of deep cycle batteries and removing my alternator. (about 17% better) Part of my problem was short trips were leaving my battery not totally charged so my alternator was sucking horsepower trying to keep up with electrical demands and trying to charge at the same time.

I have three deep cycle batteries. One yellow top in the stock position which is for short trips up to 1 hour driving and as a backup for longer trips. For those long trips I have a pair of series 27 deep cycle batteries with quick connects which go in the back of the van. I can go 150 plus miles easily with the two deep cycles.

I've also heard that a block heater helps a lot with short trips. I just installed one myself.

Good luck!

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #128 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

88 comanche - '88 jeep comanche sport
you might want to be careful with the cooling system especially if your 4.0 is newer than a 2001 i have heard that the newer heads are prone to warping. i am not being a nay sayer just keep close tabs on the temp guage.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #129 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

88 comanche - '88 jeep comanche sport
disregard my last post i was looking at a different page and when i posted it went to the end, on a different note i have a block heater on my 88 mj and it was worth the effort installing it, easier starts in the winter and i do not have to wait 20 mins for a warm up
Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #130 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Would anyone like to sell the rack they just removed?

With everyone removing their roof racks in the interest of aerodynamic efficiency, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to send one my way. My '92 Cherokee came bare bones without a roof rack, and I would like to add one to carry my oversize spare on (free up room in the rear interior). Before anyone gets on my case about aerodynamics, be aware that my Jeep seldom cruises at highway speed. Most times it travels 15 to 35 mph through sandy roads and trails here in the NJ Pine Barrens. Aerodynamic drag is hardly a concern.

Also, to keep things on point... I agree that removing the rack and any other drag inducing items is a good thing for highway travel. Cleaning up the undercarriage would be a good one too, although it may prove very difficult to fabricate an efficient belly pan to smooth out the entire underside. The best bet is to keep highway speed below 60 mph, as air drag increases by a factor of 4 for every doubling in speed. Tire inflation, tune ups, air filter, avoid sudden acceleration etc. Often overlooked is chopping down the vehicle weight. Remove back seat if not being used, space saver spare, don't carry unnecessary cargo, aluminum bumper? (my '84 GTi had one). A lighter vehicle is more efficient than a heavy one.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
low pressure kills mpg's