Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Beast - '82 Honda V45 Sabre Vetter Fairing
90 day: 39.38 mpg (US)

The Wife's bike - '82 Honda CM450E Red
90 day: 57.22 mpg (US)

Yellow Submarine - '04 Dodge Neon SXT
90 day: 28.71 mpg (US)
My insurance for 2 bikes, 2 licensed riders, Liability, rider coverage, and uninsured motorist is $150/Year. Easily covered by the fuel I save.

I am still learning to drive more efficiently, I have cut my speed down to the legal limit (60mph vs. 70mph) and my mileage went from 38mpg to 45mpg! (Saving me $2 a day) But, it is not nearly as much fun.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Hello,

I had a '81 Yamaha Maxim XJ750. It got over 50mpg, was shaft drive. It had 4 carbs (one for each cylinder) and the airbox leaked bad (causing the engine to want to rev without throttle input). When the electrical system went, I gave it to someone who could and would work on it.

It took him 2 years, but he got it running again and traded it for some roof work.

My car gets paid off this winter, so I hope to be two wheeling by next summer.

I was originally looking at a Honda Shadow Spirit, but that was about a year ago. I am now thinking about picking up a used dual sport (like a Kaw KLR650) and then maybe later a more long distance friendly bike. I first need to test ride one. I have already tried Buell's Ulysses (too expensive, brakes work too well, and way to top heavy for how well the brakes work).

When I got my first bike, I took the safety course. When I get my next bike, I will take it again, as both a refresher and it cant hurt.

LDJ
Old 10-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #53 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Sister in law's dad crashed his fuel-saving scooter (solo incident) about 4 weeks ago - been in the hospital ever since, pretty banged up. He'd had it a few years; 2nd incident.

Not being a "concern troll" , just reporting.

I'd reconsider a bike again if my transportation situation was suited to one. (As it is I have too many motorized vehicles and not enough need for any of them :-P)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtech1 View Post
how about the cheaper insurance rates or in some states .

I did not even think insurance; aero, wipers heater, boost, etc. Then after licensing my EV as a bike my insurance for 6 months was $45.

The savings almost floored me! Needless to say- I bought a $29. car cover and that Aspire is getting the best mpg it ever got
Old 10-04-2008, 01:44 AM   #55 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
So far my bike is cheaper than my car

But then again I have dumped way to much money in my car this year. I can't say I got the bike for mileage reasons but it is the only thing I own that I trust to take a trip around the entire planet on. The DR650 is the best all around bike you can get.

Bike was $4650, All the money I have spent modifying and maintaining the bike is prob $1500 total over 15,000 miles last year on it, but now I am done modifying it and it is exactly how I want it. Car is probably close to $8k just this year. Not counting all the money spent on it the previous years. Insurance for the bike is $250 a year full coverage, car is $60 a month liability.

That cost isn't counting the safety gear I wear while riding. I never ride anywhere without all my safety gear on. I normally wear an Olympia AST jacket and Airglide pants, they have CE armor and are very well made. Also armored Cortech gloves, Acerbis X-tight boots, and other random bits that get swapped out depending on the weather and temperature. I am the only person I know of around here that really rides ATGATT and rides year round even in the snow. I have low sided my bike at 40mph and didn't get a scratch on me and nothing unrepairable to the bike

I guess if you only count the cost to maintain the bike and car and not the upgrades my bike still comes out cheaper than my car. I guess bigger bikes cost more to maintain but this one is pretty much just tires and oil. If anyone asks I tell them that the right bike can save a good bit of money but really most of the big bikes people want to buy end up costing more to ride than even a giant suv station wagon.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Scooters for fun first.

I bought the two Auranthetics this spring to have fun first of all and save gas and emissions as a bonus. They cost me abut $300 each (my Daytons cost more) plus a $100 motor to replace a burnt one.

They are actually Taiwanese mini bikes which were imported without motors and converted by the Auranthetic Corp in Caly between 72 and 79. 1hp series wound industrial motors and 2 12V deep cycles give them about 25mph for about 35 miles.

The older bike's motor I replaced with 2 hp for double the fun. The torque curve on these motors is almost linear and silent. You have to experience an electric drive to appreciate the superiority over combustion.

I had been wanting a M/C for the street for a few years, actually ever since a friend of mine showed up at my shop to weld back on his shift lever on his BSA. I had an XR80 when I was a kid and drove the thing all year in our farm fields but then fell in love with hot-rodded beetles as a teen. I did a ground-up resto on my moms old orange bug and dropped a 2 litre dual carbed 135hp vw screamer in it. Lowered, lightened and with a fibreglass flip front end it still got 35mpg and I could take a 5Liter mustang in the 1/4 mile. But I digress. Anyway, I sold it and missed it every day after that so when I found the electric bikes I was in 7th heaven.

One day I'll do an mpg equivalent for the garage. Needless to say because we have mostly hydro power here in BC It'll be only a cost comparison. My emissions are mostly the hydrogen from battery charging. With a little more $$$ one could charge totally solar.

OK enough horn tooting. Pick one up if you can, they are better than the import electrics.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #57 (permalink)
Hypermiler Extraordinaire

Insight - '01 Honda Insight
90 day: 90.11 mpg (US)
I actually bought a scooter for that reason myself. Much better than a motorcycle, but also takes a good amount of time out of my day.

I bought a Honda Ruckus for $1200. It gets just shy of 100MPG. If it weren't 49cc and so slow, I'd love to see what MPG I could get out of it hypermiling. But alas, I have to stay on it full throttle 90% of the time just to keep up with traffic. Anything over 40MPH is good, with 45 if I'm lucky downhill.

I drive it daily to work which is 26 miles each way - no joke! I ride it every day, rain or shine. I haven't driven a car at all since the big tropical storm that flooded my area (well one trip, but that was to SELL the car).

I found a route which is pretty scooter friendly and isn't any longer than taking the highway. Between the gas and insurance savings, I'm saving at least $160 per month. It will pay for itself with those savings by March (assuming I can bear the cold, but I'm in FL, so it shouldn't be a problem).

With a motorcycle (even a Ninja 250 which I'll probably get after this pays itself off), I'd be getting less MPG and have to pay insurance, plus the initial higher cost. Tires for the Ruckus are cheap too. I got Pirellis for $55 with a coupon from CycleGear. That was for the pair, and I mounted them myself.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #58 (permalink)
ASV
weirdo

I have a JMstar150
I was able to purchase my scooter with 1300 cash brand new. I purchased it to save on money I don’t have to spare. I pay about a hundred dollars a year for my insurance and get about 80 mpg. I have a 14 mile commute to work and back and
even with all the riding I do for pleasure and errands added on, my gasoline bill is still only about 20 dollars a month.

I ride to work at 1 AM and have the road to myself for the first half of my ride
Its very peaceful thou a little cold in the winter
The ride back is in early morning traffic and I drive as if I was invisible
Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Puddles - '95 Geo Metro LSI
90 day: 39.52 mpg (US)

Spec Miata - '91 Mazda Miata Club Racing

Scooter - '05 Honda Metropolitan

Monstro II - '99 Dodge Ram 1500

Kassia - '01 Mazda Miata LS

Precious - '97 Chevy 3500 Silverado Dually
I bought a honda metropolitan a few years ago, 49cc. Its a little hair raising since I'm in a rural area and the slowest roads nearby are 45mph, and the met tops out at 38. (dunno how you're pulling 45 downhill on a ruckus, theyre rev limited to 40)

it goes in storage around december, till april.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I bought a Honda Helix. It is getting 65 mpg on a pretty consistant basis. I have also been riding motorcycles for 40+ years. I honestly believe that a bike rider who has been riding for many years has much more of a finely tuned awareness of road conditions and hazards, and the traffic around him. Many times as a passenger in a car I will spot something happening 4 cars ahead (looking thru windshields of the cars ahead) and as I say "Hey, watch out" I see brake lights, see smoke, or watch an accident happen. The driver is usually unaware that anything is happening beyond the bumper of the car ahead of us.

The Helix is fun but I prefer more power. Its purpose is to be available if gasoline hits $12 a gallon due to some catastrophic emergency. Who knows... I have 4 Honda CBX 6 cylinder bikes and an OldWing 1100. My bones can't take the cold and rain much any more so I keep the 3 Metro convertibles running and use 2 of them a lot. My son has the 3rd one. I will put the Helix up for the winter soon. The price was right so it will stay here in a corner of the shop on the float charger.

Reply  Post New Thread