Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #151 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by guudasitgets View Post
No offence but I'm very involved in road racing and there are plenty of fuel cells in race cars out there WITH EFI pumps in them and filler tubes. The stuff is being used so maybe YOU haven't found them but they are out there. And a lot of them in Midgets & Sprites too.
I take offense that you read through this thread, and this was the only comment you could make.
Of course there are fuel cells with EFI. Are there any that fit into the space I have put mine? Those racing midgets might benefit from moving the fuel tank from out back behind the rear wheels to ahead of them as I have done.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #152 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

I've finished the brake system, installed the master cylinders and run the brake lines.

Here is how I hooked up the clutch slave cylinder (one from a mazda truck, inexpensive)

You can also see in that picture the U-turn radiator pipe I fabricated from thin aluminum, and covered in fiberglass for a little strength, leaving the stock thermistat in place.

Here is the front u-turn radiator pipe, and you'll see how I recycled the old metal radiator tube (that went out the pump to the back) that now connects the u-turn from the head forward. So we have both radiator connections as shown no coming out the front.

And also wanted to show my super cool new gas pedal:

It was a fingernail file I picked up at the dollar store!
The Following User Says Thank You to nimblemotors For This Useful Post:
Christ (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #153 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I've been secretly following this thread from the start, even during my absence from EM as of late. I find this thread particularly thrilling, sir. You've done well for yourself here.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #154 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fokus - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 32.04 mpg (US)

Lecksus - '03 Lexus RX300
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Benzzzzz - '11 Mercedes Benz ML-350 4-Matic
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
I take offense that you read through this thread, and this was the only comment you could make.
Of course there are fuel cells with EFI. Are there any that fit into the space I have put mine? Those racing midgets might benefit from moving the fuel tank from out back behind the rear wheels to ahead of them as I have done.
For Scca racing you can't run a fuel cell in the drivers compartment so they don't build the cars with the fuel cells ahead of the rear axle as you stated.
You would have to give me dimentions of the space you have for me to find a fuel cell the size you need. And no it's not the only comment I could think of, it's the one I posted because I was trying to help you in case you wanted to find something I may have a parts sorce for. If you want help finding somthing you need thats what a forum is for , true?
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-...ehicleid=10608
Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #155 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post

A lot of the sports-racers from the 70s (e.g., Porsche 917K, Ferrari 512) had the fender cut away aft of the rear wheels. Not sure if it was more for down-force or if it helped drag.

-soD
917 and the 512 did that to get rid of all the exhaust heat back then. They did know about wheel well aero resistance but they only did something in the front, look at your image can you see the louvers at the top of the front wheel arches? That was to vent it off. CanAm cars had the same thing. Till the Lotus 79 came out, there wasn't too much attention paid to anything after the rear axle in the early 70's. Wouldn't mind taking the 917 for a lap at the Ring though.
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #156 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GTI TDI - '91 Volkswagen Golf GTI
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 61.23 mpg (US)
This is a VERY COOL project - I can't wait to see how it turns out!
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankencar For This Useful Post:
nimblemotors (05-01-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #157 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by guudasitgets View Post
For Scca racing you can't run a fuel cell in the drivers compartment so they don't build the cars with the fuel cells ahead of the rear axle as you stated.
The fuel tank is not in the drivers compartment, look at the pictures.
I finished this tank months ago, and don't need a different one.
I did fix some leaks in it last week, now it fills right up to the top of the filler neck without any drips.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #158 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

I just had to go and redo the front bodywork to improve the flow,
making most of my previous fiberglass bodywork I did not used anymore.
Oh well, I think it'll be MUCH nicer this way. Here is the start, much more to do,
and in particularly wait for the custom headlights and grill, will make it worth the effort I think.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #159 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The fuel tank is not in the drivers compartment, look at the pictures.
I finished this tank months ago, and don't need a different one.
I did fix some leaks in it last week, now it fills right up to the top of the filler neck without any drips.
I never said yours was in the drivers compartment. Putting a fuel cell that close to the drivers compartment and ahead of the rear axle is not done much in road racing classes that the Midget runs in, the cell is too big and you can't run too much of a race on 2.5 gallons. So thats why the mount it where they do.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #160 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

Here is the hardtop that I've been working on. The "vinyl" texture has been sanded off, the drip rails removed, chopped and raked 2 inches. I've also removed the inner panel and replaced it with coremat and carbon fiber, so it has extra 1 in of head room inside.
Really liking this hardtop! I think I'm going to put the door windows into the top, and make the entire top clamshell open hinged in back, so getting in/out of the car isn't so difficult!

Reply  Post New Thread