Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2022, 01:30 AM   #121 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I installed most of the foam board under the shed.

I don't know why I thought I needed to cut the insulation into the pieces. I cut each one in half, slid it from the middle to the edge, shoved a 2×4 between the insulation and the 4×4, slid in the other piece, lined it up, and then shoved in a spacer on that side.

I needed to plane a bunch of scrap wood because somehow a 2×4 was 1/4" too thick on one side.

The other side doesn't actually seem to be touching the 4×4!

I only need to cut four more pieces, which I will cut in half before installing, but I think I will seal everything with Great Stuff first, and then reuse the scrap wood.
I knew the batteries in my crazy bright head lamp wouldn't last forever, but I used them until they died, swapped them with ones fresh from the charger, and then needed to use a far weaker head lamp for at least an hour.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2022, 06:40 PM   #122 (permalink)
Not Doug

Good news everyone! I successfully insulated my hand and bits of gravel! :)

I realized that I had forgotten my gloves, but I was in a hurry. Great Stuff to Fall out of Cracks and Make a Horrible Sticky Mess! I didn't try to fill in the voids, just seal the gaps. I figured I could go back and try to fill it in, but it kept falling and making a mess.

I need to wait for what fell on my towel to dry, so I did about a foot on each side, over the 4×4s, and to the edges.

I got most of the way around before the can ran out.

After I see my clients I can put down a tarp, finish the side, fill in the gaps around the first section, and hopefully do at least a couple more.

When I got Great Stuff to Fall and Make a Big Mess on my hands I ran inside and rubbed salt on it.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #123 (permalink)
Not Doug

Why did I just log in four times in a row?! I demand to speak to your manager!

I forgot to put down the tarp. I finished the bit on the side, filled in the gaps where I already sprayed, and did two more sections.

I still had foam in the can, but I couldn't work further in without getting Great Stuff on me.

I already have it all over those gloves and a bunch on my arms and one leg.

I needed to cut off some leg hair, but I need to use a razor to remove a patch of polyurethane cancer.

I have been talking to a beautiful lady in Arizona City and staying up far too late, but she was supposed to have surgery today, and allegedly the surgeon told her to stay up late so she would be extra tired.

I moved my Holbrook clients to Saturday morning because I have too many clients up there to fit before the afternoon clients I have been seeing for a while.

Except the crazy mom still wanted me to come today.

I scheduled another client first tomorrow because the crazy mom always complained about the time.

This was the first time I was home when my brother's COTA came. I was already planning on waiting her out, but the first thing she said was "I was hoping Xist wouldn't be here."

I put on my painting sweats, but I didn't have the time before leaving for work.

I had too much to do.

Last edited by Xist; 05-19-2022 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Otto cow wreck razor to tackle
Old 05-19-2022, 12:28 AM   #124 (permalink)
Not Doug

I only saw 1/4 Holbrook clients on Saturday, but finally installed the rest of the foam board today.

I messaged the first mom to let her know that I was on my way, but she didn't respond, or answer the door.

Some guy was there, but he didn't answer the door, either. He came out to warm up his 2010 Honda because he doesn't understand 2010 Hondas.

The mom told me a scary story about health problems necessitating driving my client 4 hours to Phoenix Children's Hospital, but asked if I wanted to come in and meet everyone

I saw my next client, but not the sibling, who the mom said was having medical issues, and she was trying to figure out how to get him to Phoenix Children's Hospital.

I just wish they had bothered to cancel, I could have written notes instead of wasting time and gas!

The mom of my fourth client has had someone else watching her kids for the last few sessions, but that person said they would be available. Unfortunately, I had so much going on I didn't think I needed to reach out directly.

I needed to reach out directly.

I stopped to get a burrito from the kids' menu and the place was so slow that I was ten minutes late.

A sister opened the door, looked shocked, slammed it on me, and then someone asked through the window if I could wait... a while.

After twenty minutes I asked to reschedule and the mom responded "Of course! I didn't know you were coming!"

So, I drove to Arizona City--this whole story is in the thread about my CEL, isn't it?

I thought that I had mentioned it, but forgot where.

I wanted to keep my speech bag out of the heat, so I thought I would set it right inside the door, but the house is so trashed that I needed to set it several feet away, and then I forgot about it when I made a hasty exit.

She mentioned it when I got home, so I tried to figure out that when I needed to be writing notes for the second agency.

Awww nuts!

I have been wondering if Boss Lady provides habilitation through either of her agencies, but I only remember to ask when I am writing notes at the last minute.

Our lame site indicates we do habilitation, so I planned on asking about it today, but forgot.

I signed up to do it with my first agency, but between when I was hired and when I finished jumping through the hoops to start working at the employer I already had, they slashed pay, and I didn't want to involve some third party in how I take care of my brother, but that would have been worth thousands and thousands of dollars each year.

Anyway, I asked the crazy to meet me in Mesa, but she offered to drive to Payson. I agreed and met her for lunch. She suggested she drove all of the way up here and I said "Let me just see if Mom is ready for company."

I messaged Mom, but she didn't respond, although I told the crazy "Sorry, the house isn't ready!"
"That's okay, I'll drive up, and we can hang out elsewhere!"
"Yay."

She arrived in a different vehicle and had some nonsensical story about her truck breaking down and this was the loaner.

That makes perfect sense, but she claims that she does her own car repairs, but I don't have any idea what was supposed to be wrong with her truck.

However, she definitely had a loaner!

They didn't know when the part would be in-stock and the mechanic broke her truck's feelings or something, so she stayed another night, but had her truck last night, and left today.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:38 AM   #125 (permalink)
Not Doug

I bought two 12-ounce cans of Great Stuff thinking that it would totally be enough, and since it seems like I never finish a 16-ounce can before I need to wait for everything to dry.

I finally remembered to put down a tarp and a drop cloth, so, since I broke the foam off of several rocks, there should be fewer insulated rocks than yesterday!

However, I used up both cans, still have big gaps that I feel the need to fill, and need to put at least a second bead on the last boards, so two more cans?

Then I can finally jack up the shed, level the gravel, carefully lower the shed, and never move it again!

Then drywall!
Old 05-20-2022, 05:31 AM   #126 (permalink)
Not Doug

Two 16-ounce cans weren't enough.

As the second can started running low I stopped trying to fill the gap as well, but then I saw a couple of feet with just a thin bead--on the wrong side.

One more can?
Old 05-21-2022, 12:25 PM   #127 (permalink)
Not Doug

I finished insulating under the shed and mostly leveled the gravel underneath. I needed to move the gravel and dig down quite a bit--under the edge of a shed!
I don't have any idea how much the cinder blocks settled!
I should be able to shovel gravel into the hole, position the cinder block, shovel gravel around it, and lower the shed for the final time, but having filled two 5-gallon buckets with gravel, moved much more out of the way, and dug one hole under the edge of the shed, I wasn't about to do it the hard way again.
I soaked it, returned, and removed a bunch of dirt, but I was finding big rocks, so I soaked it again, loosened the big rocks with my digging bar, and removed a bunch of mud.
It should be more than enough, but how dry does it need to be before I fill in the hole, position the cinder block, and lower the shed for the last time?
Old 05-21-2022, 02:22 PM   #128 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
It depends. Sand won't move but clay can be expansive, it swells when it's wet. Plan on more settling.

Did you follow how Telsa built the Austin Gigafactory? I thought it was enlightening.

They poured footings and put up columns and the roof before they laid the floors. But the subsoil was suboptimal [], so they dug deeper holes, filled them with rock and tamped the rock to make a foundation for the foundation.

OTOH with a lightweight canopy or greenhouse you also have to strap them down so they don't blow away. I don't post about it a lot but I've found out the hard way.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:53 PM   #129 (permalink)
Not Doug

I was an overenthusiastic digger!

The mud is damp to the touch, but I don't expect a hole under a shed to dry quickly.

I don't think that a little dirt would cause much of a problem, but since I only had dirty gravel and gravelly dirt on this side, I dumped the two 5-gallon buckets of gravel into the hole.

It wasn't enough!

Clearly a little dirt wouldn't cause much of a problem, but I stretched some metal screen over the metal shelves that I pulled from the shed, secured the screen with zip ties, spread out the gravel, and hosed it off.

I am sure that a little water wouldn't hurt, but I am catching up on my project threads while the first bucket dries.

I hadn't had this problem before, but the farm jack started tipping over. However, I had been concerned with one of the 4x4s sitting on the edge of the cinder block, with one 2x4 hanging over, so now everything is more centered.

I could have straightened the jack if I wanted, so I will just ensure it is straight when I use it again.

There wasn't room for the 4x4, so when I lift it again to remove the extra cinder blocks [again] I will use a piece of angle iron instead.

I sure hope that the last joist and a piece of angle iron will be adequate!

When I jacked up the front in order to remove the extra cinder block I didn't realize that the jack was going to jack up the latch. I removed it and glued toothpicks into the holes. I am going to cut those today, straighten the latch, and reinstall it once I get the back squared away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220521_173330.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	32199   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220521_173333.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	32200   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220521_173338.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	32201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220521_173354.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	32202  

Last edited by Xist; 05-23-2022 at 02:03 PM..
Old 06-03-2022, 04:13 AM   #130 (permalink)
Not Doug

88.5"

I finally thought that I had the time to measure, cut, and install studs for the corners so I could install the drywall.

I did not. I just looked at it, made a confused face, got ready for work, and was late. Shame on me, but when I arrived I had a text from the mom asking if I was on my way.

I was when she wrote me!

When I left I wondered if I needed to ensure that school ending didn't change anything.

It did.

She forgot and said she was just picking up the kids from the babysitter.

I didn't have any idea how far away she was, but then the mom mentioned they just got over a stomach flu.

She asked if I wanted to do teletherapy.

I would rather do teletherapy than get sick!

So, twenty minutes after we were supposed to start I commenced the half-hour drive.

I messaged her as soon as I got home, but they didn't connect for half an hour.

When I finally got out to the shed I saw something like this:

Except I needed to install those studs before I installed the foam board.

I really don't want to do that now.

Sure, let me measure out 1.5" from the edge of each corner stud, draw a straight line, cut along the line, chisel out the foam, and when I finally remove all of the foam in the slot, measure and cut a 2x4, and I guess pre-drill holes at a 45° angle, pre-drill countersinks, and then finally screw this stud to the original one.

Then repeat everything with the other corner.

Of course, what is the alternative?

I can just go ahead and screw in the drywall, but the corner won't be supported. Then I can put a clip on the next sheets of drywall, slide that between the edges of the first sheet and the wall, and then hope that nobody bumps the corner.

Hope isn't a tactic.

I can trim the spray foam, pop off the stir sticks, cut and place angle aluminum!

It would definitely be cheaper to cut out the foam, slide in 2x4s, and pre-drill holes, but how long would that take?!

It looks like Home Depot is the only one with the right size in-stock.

We will see if I still end up using the drywall clips.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shed corners.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	32292