Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2021, 03:45 AM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Adding - and enjoying - more to your pains then?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-02-2021, 05:19 PM   #82 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I finally put the shed in its final position. I used my floor jack to adjust it a few inches to the side, then the farm jack to get it off of the rollers. However, when I put the bag and a half of gravel that I lad leftover under the shed I forgot it needed to go under the 4x4s, not the edges, but it only covered about 10% of that strip.

The neighbor told me that he informed Mom that he was ordering a truckload of gravel and that she said that she would like to add to his order for my parking spot next to the driveway.

Of course, Mom insists that this conversation never happens--and that I am the one with the bad memory.

When he says he is ordering the gravel I will figure out how much I need. Then, once I am finished moving the shed, I will finally install the insulation and drywall.

I guess that I need to use cargo straps to secure the tarps and dropcloths to the lumber out back. That makes more sense than moving a shed full of lumber, drywall, and insulation.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #83 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Just so you know: there are by my count 26 square point shovel loads to the wheelbarrow load, of which it takes 4 1/2 trips to make a yard which will cover about 100 square feet about 3" deep deending on size. Pea gravel spreads less than 3/8" which spreads less than 1/2". Hopefully the delivery charge is a flat fee because you probably need at least 3 yards
Old 06-28-2021, 11:19 PM   #84 (permalink)
Not Doug

Our neighbor had me help him with his gravel and I had my brother help me.

I don't think I ever put 26 shovel loads in the wheelbarrow!

Pushing a wheelbarrow on gravel isn't fun.

Then I hurt for over a week.

Since my loving family opened my bags of insulation, dragged them across the yard, and then my brother threw them in a pile on top of my stuff in the shed, then I made a nice stack in order to access that stuff, I decided to insulate before anything else happens.

I ordered three cubic yards of gravel and some guys from Church offered to help me shovel it.

It is supposed to arrive next Tuesday.

Now all that I need to do is remove all of the junk on those shelves, remove those shelves, insulate the last 10 panels (I only have 5 batts left!), mend that 4x4, jack up the shed, remove the cinder blocks, shovel 4 tons of gravel underneath, level it, replace the cinder blocks, lower the shed, and drywall it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210628_195010.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	30948  
Old 06-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #85 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Looking good.

Personally I would not use drywall in a shed or garage. Paneling fills the same purpose but deals better with abuse better. It is also easy to take down if you need to run wiring. When we bought our house I pulled the paneling off two walls in the garage to run extra outlets and a dedicated circuit for an EV charger. It was an easy 2 day job with paneling but would have been much longer if I had to cut drywall to make the wiring runs and then patch, sand, patch, sand, and then paint it.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:19 PM   #86 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
Team Nissan
90 day: 45.75 mpg (US)
After I insulated my garage I covered the insulation with foil radiant barrier. It's cheap, lightweight to install, strong and helps keep the temperature lower in the garage. Only thing that it hasn't stood up to is when mice get in the garage and chew holes in it. My small storage shed isn't insulated and is just open stud construction.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:11 AM   #87 (permalink)
Not Doug

I rear-ended myself!

I slept all of the way until 0745. At 0827 Perkins Cinders called and said the truck was on its way. I asked how long I had and they said "About 15 minutes."

I grabbed all of the keys, moved the Camries and Accord, and the truck rolled up the street, about 5 minutes after I got off the phone. I removed the chock blocks and tried to nudge my Civic forward, hoping I wouldn't lose control, but she didn't budge. I ran the winch from the Civic to my Accord, but I really should have set the 6x6 against the fenceposts, run my tow rope, and attached a cargo strap just a little too short.

Nope! The Civic rolled into the Accord!

I inched forward and the Civic didn't move at all until it collided with the Accord again--and again.

I had been trying to steer the Accord around the pile of dirt, but it continued straight. I stopped when the Civic was just short of the No Parking Sign. I jacked up the front and the Civic rolled into the sign post.

I managed to straighten out my Civic somewhat, but it went as well as moving it thus far.

Fortunately, the rest of the day went much better, or at least I got banged up, not any car or the shed.

There is a scratch on the passenger side and a dent on the driver's side, but I think that someone gave me a worse one years ago, and solved that with hot water.

Watch me fix that before I put the car back together!

My girlfriend and I moved about half as much gravel as I needed before we ran to Sonic and Aliberto's.

I was so quiet my girlfriend asked if she did something wrong.

"What?! No! You worked harder than I did! You're awesome!"

I saw two clients, but wasn't able to see the other two. Some guys from Church volunteered to help. I offered them pizza, donuts, soda, whatever they wanted.

One guy asked for water and pizza, so I had 3 pizzas delivered for the low low price of $70, and I put some water bottles in the freezer.

A neighbor asked if she could have any leftover gravel and the guys from Church filled up 4-5 wheelbarrows and dumped it in her yard.

Mom finally identified the one plant she wanted to keep in her garden and I removed a crazy amount of pine needles--so crazy there was hardly any dirt left! We removed most of the grass and then filled up the raised garden. I just wish that Mom would have let me load it up, I don't want this settling down to half its volume!

When I returned the neighbor's wheelbarrow he had me fill it with dirt and then the neighbor across the street asked if she could have some too.

My girlfriend and I finally ate and then we just sat in my Camry and rested. At least it was nice out. We had the windows down.

I finally emptied the shed. All of the stuff from the shelves in the back are under that blue awning.

You cannot really see the shed behind the awning and junk.

I need to mend the 4x4 on the left side, jack the shed back up, and level the gravel side-to-side.

I already leveled it front-to-back.

I need to use the rest of the insulation, get some more, and install it.

What is the smallest package of insulation I can buy?

I only need 5 batts!

Then I drywall! That is fun, right?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	I rear-ended myself!.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	30988  
Old 07-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #88 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Drywalling reminds me of doing bodywork. Not fun. But satisfying, maybe? Depends on your outlook.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-09-2021, 03:26 AM   #89 (permalink)
Not Doug

Hopefully these don't rotate this time!
This is about half of the dirt, after we put 80% of the gravel under the shed, and the rest across the street:

I really want to know why this JPEG is 200 KB and almost 300% larger than the previous one, which is higher resolution:

That is the gravel the guys from Church shoveled, transported, and dumped for our neighbors across the street. The only time that I talked to the woman was when she asked for free stuff. She said that she wanted all of the dirt, but she didn't know how much her husband wanted to shovel.

It sounded like he would be shoveling tons, it was just a matter of whether it was free dirt now or expensive dirt later.

I told her that whatever was left after 24 hours I would give away, but I was exhausted the next day, and struggling to get anything done.

A wheelbarrow's worth of this stuff would be $10 at Home Depot. Tonight I hauled 5 of those out back just to get it off of the sidewalk, and it would take 10-20 trips to get the rest of it.

The only time that I have talked to the husband across the street he complained that we didn't ask where he wanted all of that free rock.

It sounds like his wife should have asked him.

He also asked for dirt and I told him that he could have as much as he wanted, but that was in the afternoon, I really didn't like having a big pile of dirt in the driveway, blocking my Camry and the sidewalk for 3 whole days, and I really didn't want to do this for a fourth, so I dumped two more loads on Mom's garden, spread one load on the worse parts of the lawn, and spread two loads over the branches and pine needles in our compost pile.

The first thing in the morning I am going to offer the remainder on Facebook.

This is the shed up on gravel:

I didn't want the junk in the picture, but I liked the photograph with glare from the sun even worse.

I leveled the gravel front and back, but not side-to-side yet. I cut a pressure-treated 2x4 to mend one side of the broken 4x4 on the left, but I couldn't line them up right, nor could I improve it much with my clamps. Whenever I have the time I am going to get some long screws, washers, and nuts, and use my mending braces and wrenches to clamp all of the boards together, then tighten the screws, and do another section.

Squeezing between the gravel and the shed several times to screw the boards together wasn't the best part.

I pre-drilled the 2x4 and started the screws, so that made the rest easier. I marked the second board. Once I have everything straight I will jack up the front and back just enough and screw that second board on the other side of the 4x4.

Unfortunately, some of the joists are in bad shape, as is the 2x4 on the left side. I should really rip out that, remove the nails, and attach a new board.

That won't be nearly as bad as replacing the joists!

I don't think that I can sister them with 1x4s (which I already have) when they rotted away.

I forgot to get the rest of the water bottles out of the freezer and really wanted cold water the next day!

This is Mom's raised garden now:

My girlfriend helped me trim Dad's old currant bush. The branches hung out a couple of feet over the garden and you definitely could not walk between them!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210707_175819.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	31003   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210707_203334.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	31004   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210707_182542.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	31005   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210707_191239.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	31006   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210708_141226.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	31007  

Old 07-28-2021, 03:27 AM   #90 (permalink)
Not Doug

I kind of updated this--here: "100% of people who do not save money do not have any!"--Dave Ramsey
I emptied the shed and loaded up the picnic table:

However, my brother put everything back, and then it rained heavily:

I also have it up on a second set of cinder blocks to make it easier to mend the 4x4. I made a set of clamps with some 2x4s, 1x4s, threaded rod, nuts, bolts, and mending braces. It worked, but if I ever wanted to use this again I should use stronger braces, thicker washers, and harder wood.

The braces and washers cupped and dimpled the boards.

The 1x4s started cracking!

I jacked up the front and moved back the cinder blocks so I could clamp it and tighten the blocks, but when I put in the second sister board I just used the top of my clamp to pull it together, and tightened the bolt without jacking up the back.

I lifted up the entire side to make it easier to slide in the sister board and screw it in, so jacking up the back didn't seem safe.

I couldn't find my right-angle attachment and the outer 2x4 was rotten, so I ripped out most of it, turning it into mulch far too easily. I tightened the screws and lowered the shed.

Three 2x4s in the back are rotten. The bottom half of the middle section is just gone.

I don't know if the 2x4s are attached to the 4x4. There are gaps in many places. I figure that I will remove them, slide in new boards from my lumber pile, and attach them.

Should I insulate the bottom while I have it up? I think that I have 2 4x8 2" foam boards protecting my drywall. I doubt they still look pretty.

I feel concerned for the drywall.

For some reason the floor has joists every 12".

I cannot find insulation that wide.

There would be 10.5" between studs, right?

I could cut each board 8 times the short way, slide them between the intact 4x4 and the floor, slide a 2x4 between the insulation and the 4x4, spray Great Stuff around 3 edges, and then slide in another board through the side.

Apply Great Stuff around all 4 edges and I can insulate 9 feet.

That is 5' too few!

It would be nice to have a floor that isn't as cold.

I really need to figure out how to floor this thing!

I don't know how to insulate the floor once I replace that 2x4 without cutting boards into 3 pieces, so I guess that I need to buy another board.

Unfortunately, if I cut another 4x8 board the long way, I will have 4.57 boards.

If I cut them 9.6" wide I could theoretically fill in .45" on each side with some kind of captured foam gargoyles.

That should work.

Unfortunately, there is tons of mud dried to the bottom of the shed.

Do you think that many people have cleaned the bottom of their shed?

In theory I don't need to glue the boards in place, I can just slide 2x4s between the foam and the 4x4s, but sealing gaps is good.

So, once I insulate the floor, I replace the side 2x4 with pressure-treated lumber, level the gravel again, ensure that it is level left-to-right, jack up the shed, remove the extra cinder blocks, and set it down for the last time.

Then all that I need to do is:
  1. Set up my back-up awning.
  2. Empty the shed again.
  3. Remove the shelves in the back.
  4. Finish insulating.
  5. Drywall.
  6. Mud, tape, and paint.
  7. Add a circuit to the box, dig a trench 50' or more, run electricity and ethernet, and probably install lights and outlets.
  8. ????
  9. Profit?