Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
It sounds like you have the right wire , and your cars computer is trying to tell you something.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If I haver the correct wire why is the MPguino still showing 00000 on vss? I am so convused here.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

because something is wrong
Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ok with all of my rechecking wiring, the hollow connector pin acceptor for the hot lead has broken off inside the connector. can i buy a new set of four pins and a connector for the pre-assembled mpguino? in other words the complete kit in the little bag that comes along with the unit. I have been using 16 gauge wire. I suspect that might be a little thick for this project. what gauge should i be using here? I did reset the check engine light. just before i broke the hot lead, I checked all of the connections individually. the light came back on while the fuel injector lead was disconnected. the light also came on when the vss was connected. I removed the hot from the unit and the check engine light went away for good. Any further suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Punk

Honduh Power - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
I am assuming that you mean your +12v connection broke while you were messing around with it but I am unsure, in the last few sentences did all of those events happen in order, chronologically, before the +12v connection broke?

We are all here to help and will do it gladly, just please double check how you describe things to make sure they are easy for someone else to understand. That is the most important part cause nobody can help if nobody understands what you are talking about.

I am running 16 gauge on my setup. Yes it is a bit thick, its the thinnest I could find at my local hardware store. But as far as I can tell it works fine.

I would try checking out a local radioshack or something, to look for more of those connectors. I thought it was a universal setup so I ordered what looked to be the right ones off of the internet, just in case. Turns out there is more than one style of those 4 pin connector deals. So you gotta make sure you get one that will mate up with the guino side the right way.

I would take your MPGuino to radio shack or the like, and see if you can find the right connector setup that will mate with your unit. Another tip- the little metal connectors- the female ends for the 4 pin connector.... it would not hurt to give them a little little squeeze before you put them inside the plastic piece. Do it in such a way that they will squeeze the four pins tighter and prevent bad connections. If you have been doing a lot of plugging in and out they can spread apart, mine got spread apart while I was trying to crimp in my 16 gauge wire.

How did you clear your engine code? If you were able to clear it does that mean you were able to read it? What code was it?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Punk

start with eliminating the obvious.. If you can confirm that your four wires are into your guino and working the right way, then any of your problems will be where the other ends of those wires go.

My guess is that you either you don't have the actual VSS wire or something else has gotten crossed up in your wiring.

Search the forum for people with your specific car with a MPGuino and send them pictures of your setup and ask them for advice. That is the best way to verify you have it all set.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thank you for the help and responses this is a great forum. I will try to describe a little better. I am doing my best to describe. as for the pin connections I am speaking of the pre-assembled unit i received from a donation to dcb which i stated early on in this thread. so the connection to the unit has already been chosen by dcb. I did visit 2 different radio shacks nearby. They didn't have any compatible replacements. so I would like to buy anoth from dcb if possible. I am a residential electrician, so I am somewhat familiar with low voltage dc wire troubleshooting. I have traced all of the wires they have good continuity. I even soldered the wires to the female connector and insulated everything properly. I have used all of the wiring schematics provided for a 93 geo metro religiously following the diagrams and colors. I still get a gh reading when i remove the injector lead and vss lead.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Punk

sorry for the confusion.

I am also using a unit that was pre assembled by DCB.

I wonder if there is an easy or safe way to remove the connector that DCB soldered into the board with one that is more compatible for you?

If you are a residential electrician than you know far more about troubleshooting this stuff than me. My mistake.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

It is a standard 3.5" floppy power connector, but I'll ask amy to throw one in an evelope for ya, but please figure out what that light means please and exactly when it comes on and stuff. You have to put the spare fuse in a diagnostic terminal in the fuse box and whatch the light blink pattern, it is trying to help too I'm sure.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

yes the 12v connection broke when i was pulling it out for testing. The events did happen in chrono order. that is i tested all of the wires by disconnecting them individually and reseting the check engine light for each test. the final solution to the problem was unhooking the 12v from the unit. that stopped the check engine light from returning. upon removing the 12v wire I broke the female connector. but before this i still did not get a vss readout. I connected to the designated yellow/green vss lead wire next to my computer. I connected to the yellow/black wire injector lead at the engine. I grounded directly to the car frame. I pulled a hot from the radio constant hot lead. I got my info and confirmation of these wires from posts on this forum and they checked out in my owners manual as well.

Reply  Post New Thread