Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

RE: Thank Guys! Which to pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I remember those days, that's why I moved to sunny Florida!

Good luck in your search.
Thanks man! Is $3,500 reasonable for a reliable high fuel efficient turn key? I'd love to do a project, but just need reliable transportation for now.

Looking at Insight manual, Honda Civic VX hatchback, and Geo. Geo is last on list as it is 3 cylinder and have concerns about pulling 600 lb motorcycle. I love old Honda 750s from the 70s. As a side note I would love to build my own Elio using a Metro powerplant, but for now I just need fuel economy, reliability, and the ability to pull my bike.

I'd buy a Elio in second if I believed it was going to happen.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboy View Post
Thanks man! Is $3,500 reasonable for a reliable high fuel efficient turn key? I'd love to do a project, but just need reliable transportation for now.

Looking at Insight manual, Honda Civic VX hatchback, and Geo. Geo is last on list as it is 3 cylinder and have concerns about pulling 600 lb motorcycle. I love old Honda 750s from the 70s. As a side note I would love to build my own Elio using a Metro powerplant, but for now I just need fuel economy, reliability, and the ability to pull my bike.

I'd buy a Elio in second if I believed it was going to happen.
I've towed more than 1000lbs across the country (through mountains) with my Insight, which you're probably aware is also a 3 cylinder, though with electric assist.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

RE: 3 cyc can tow good to know

Thanks Ecky,

Good to know a 3 cylinder is up to the job. Wonder how much the assist helps the insight. My guess would be alot.

I found this guy, goes by the name of Geo Jeff. I guess he is the master of metros maybe I will contact him as the only ecobox near me is a metro.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Thanks Ecky,

Good to know a 3 cylinder is up to the job. Wonder how much the assist helps the insight. My guess would be alot.

I found this guy, goes by the name of Geo Jeff. I guess he is the master of metros maybe I will contact him as the only ecobox near me is a metro.
The electric motor doesn't provide much extra power at the top end (you only get ~73HP at redline, assisted), but the little 3-cylinder with assist puts down 91ft-lbs of torque @ 2000RPM while assisted. It makes the 1850lb car quite drivable below 2000RPM.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that, even under the super rare circumstance of a catastrophic failure in the hybrid system, unlike a Prius, the Insight can continue to run as an ICE-only car.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I imaging the though of a battery failure in the Prius would really be nerve wracking after a while, and the way things go machines always have a way of breaking at the worst possible time.

I think I will keep any eye out for an insight manual. The little quirks like balancing the battery pack, does not seem like a big deal when you consider the pros of aluminum construction and close to 60 mpg out of the box.

Hopefully I will have one of my CB750s sold by the end of the month and I can buy a Gen I insight.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
You just never know with cars. I had a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4WD 5-spd that my wife drove for 10 years and we never had an issue with it.

I paid 3K for my first Insight Turtle (which my son now owns and re-badged "Dr. Horrible", and is right ahead of my in the mpg challenge with). That one had 200K miles, leather seats, a real nice DVD system that I turned into a rear view camera, newish Michelin Energy Savers, newer paint, replacement IMA battery, dark tint and was an all around nice car.
I paid 4,500 bucks for Ron Burgundy, which came with 111K miles, sunroof, black leather interior, shaved doors, custom paint, dark tint, newer IMA battery, Hybrid Automotive grid charger, hardwired radar detector, 4-spkr Kenwood sound system, solar 12V battery charger, and newish OEM RE92s, and is the nicest Insight I've ever seen in person.
Neither car has had a battery failure, neither has the downshift grind, or leak any fluids. Both have functioning AC, all the electronics work, etc . . . there are deals out there if you pick the car carefully and know what to look for when you go to test drive one.

If you're looking for one, here are a couple of examples in your area, one being a nice sub-100K miles example:

Honda insight plug in hybrid 61 mpg

2006 Honda Insight
I really like that silver one alot! Much nicer than the Red. Looks like it has a grid charger so at least the owner knows something about these cars.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I really like that silver one alot! Much nicer than the Red. Looks like it has a grid charger so at least the owner knows something about these cars.
One thing to consider is that the 2006 model will still have warranty on its battery until the end of 2016. I'm not suggesting anything, but if the IMA light were to come on for some reason, you could get a new battery for it. There's also a fair chance that the owner of the 2000 model has already had its pack replaced by Honda if the owner was savvy.

Insights that live in the south will have shorter battery lifespans, but those that are well cared for and in moderate to cool climates might get 15-20 years before the IMA light comes on, which just suggests the battery is getting weak, and not that the hybrid system has failed or is unusable.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Southern Insights should have much less rust, though.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a 2000 insight. It is on it's way to being a vintage car already! I already know SOHC engines from working on my CB750 so I am sure I could rebuilt the top end if I ever had to. From what I read it will go 300k without any trouble. Everyone knows the 1st year is the most collectible. It will be very sought after when gas shoots back up.

$2.50 gas has people in a daze, and I think we all know it will end abruptly at some point. For 59 MPG without adding any mods is the "golden ticket".
Old 10-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Good choice!!!

I Love my 2000 Insight. It runs great and everything works. I think the 1st gen Insights are a great investment, where I live in Idaho people will stop and take pictures of it. I even had a neighbor stop and ask me what it was and how much did it cost thinking it was a 2016 car.lol

Reply  Post New Thread