Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #71 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
Well we can get them here with free shipping for $159.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000AAMY86

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
Oh man, that's very upsetting. I was really looking forward to the SG, as I needed a bunch of the other gauges on the thing too. It's really disappointing that they did this, because I've lost confidence in the company, but still don't know of an equivalent product. I know I can build the 'guino for mpg, but I also wanted engine load, throttle position, horsepower, etc. That and $160 is out of my budget at the moment...

Please keep us up to date as to what's going on with Paypal tomorrow. I'm going to need that money back asap.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
It most certainly is not illegal to send cash in the mail. Its just not advisable IE quick way to end up with an empty envelope on the other end.
I stand corrected.
Quote:
If the banks stated YES we hold the money in limbo for a few days to make some interest on it then FINE its not criminal. Alas this is not what the banks do. They claim its a technical issue that it actually takes this long to transfer money.
The banks don't claim this to anyone who knows what really happens. I used to work for the Federal Reserve Board and, generally speaking, bank transfers between member banks are instantaneous. If they don't use Fedwire, they use CHIPS.

However, there is a charge for such transfers. The way the bank defer the costs of the transfers is by batching them (meaning, if 234 checks for $234k were written on bank A payable to accounts in bank B, bank A makes one transfer for $234k that day, not 234). The other think they do is they utilize float. Float is the delay built into the system where between receipt of goods and payment thereof. Float for checks is anywhere from 1-4 days or so. For credit cards, it's 15-45 days.

Since financial institutions don't exist for the benefit of mankind (hint: they exist for the benefit of the stockholders, just like every business), they're going to try to make a profit. Some people, think of it as "you're entitled to a profit." One way they can profit is through float. Float on a $200 or even $2000 check is negligible, so it's not something consumers focus on.

However, banks use their

you know what? never mind. Economies of scale. Please, start your own alternative banking system and get back to me in, oh, a few years.

Quote:
bunch of other free advice, take at face value
I believe all economic activity involves a level of trust. Someone has to take the first step of saying, "OK, I trust you to deliver the goods/money in exchange for the money/goods." It's literally boils down to children's deals where the goods literally have to change hands simultaneously.

Nota bene: obviously all the content in my post is also offered free of charge and thus not intrinsically any more or less valuable. If you want advice specific to your situation and wish to consult with me, I am happy to accept money (PayPal OK!) for advice into which I will obviously put much more time and effort.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

OK, that's messed up about ScanGauge.

It shows how small they are (if they can monitor threads on websites).

They're not exactly stupid--if they know about this thread and allow it to go through, they are undercutting themselves. Cos you can buy one directly from their website
for $160.

However, I still have a sour taste in my mouth over this whole deal. On the other hand, what are you gonna do? Right now they are essentially a monopoly.

Ultimately it's the decision of each individual--do you join them, or fight them?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

By the way, for those who choose not to join, I highly suggest checking out the sub-forum for DIY MPG computers.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #76 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
That can not be the reason. "group buys" for quantity discounts are not something new and not remotely uncommon. MOST manufacturers encourage it because it almost always results in FAR more sales than would otherwise have happened individually hence why they give you a quantity discount!

I am still baffled by there decision. I mean how many of you are now going to go spend $169 plus shipping? I bet enough will "drop out" that they will get far less money.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #77 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
*shrug*
Old 05-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #78 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Sorry to hear this fell apart, guys.

I had actually been in touch with Linear Logic in Jan/Feb of this year to organize an "official" EcoModder/SGII group buy plan. Ron DeLong was, as always, responsive and enthusiastic, and passed on my request to someone else in his organization to work out the details.

Unfortunately, the someone else I was handed off to wasn't nearly as responsive in replying to messages, and I ultimately gave up on communicating with him (and on organizing the deal) when a key message/question from me went unanswered altogether.

I might have taken another stab at getting it organized, but I saw this thread getting started, and thought, "problem solved!", and I let it drop.

SNAFU.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #79 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
What a damn shame! I was going to purchase a SG myself, but have decided to change my mind. My ol vacuum gauge still works just fine for now.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #80 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Sorry for sticking my nose in here, but is ANYONE going to validate this story?!? Someone please talk to Ron and see what the deal is before jumping to anymore conclusions. He's a decent guy with a good product and a solid history as far as I know, this doesn't add up. Someone should get the other side of the story.