Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #291 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,610 Times in 7,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
From an immediate financial point of view, paying thousands of cops to do nothing is an economic drain on society. Then there's the cost of time and money for detectives to investigate...
The public wants the police funded [at least adequately], it's on the governor's and mayors to employ them effectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibid
All along my principle of granting the highest level of autonomy and authority to the lowest organizational level possible presents the best solutions to all.
You might be an anarchist if....

Power to the people, but the state needs to maintain a monopoly on violence.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #292 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,394 Times in 3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The public wants the police funded [at least adequately], it's on the governor's and mayors to employ them effectively.

You might be an anarchist if....
Yeah, I'm softening on the pessimism of anarchistic behavior to deliver positive results. Probably my years of public education that framed anarchy with mayhem.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-27-2020 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #293 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's important to distinguish anarchy and anarchism.

I think the rioters are nihilists. Or at least accelerationists.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 09:47 PM   #294 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I think the rioters are nihilists. Or at least accelerationists.
If going to the store for skittles can get you killed by the neighborhood watch or going for a jog can get you killed by your neighbors and no prosecutors want to go near it, nihilism starts making sense. Janis Joplin might see it as "nothin' left to lose". They've got a legitimate gripe. Complain about their methods all you want, but if you ignore what set them off then you're ignoring the underlying problem. Me, I think the most efficient way to keep people from burning downtowns is to treat them like people in the first place.

And what's wrong with accelerationism? If a system has inherent problems, it's better to identify and resolve them sooner rather than later- I did read once that a stitch in time saves nine, and I've found that it tends to be true. The rioters are Americans. They get killed with impunity and they have a need to fight back. To quote Jackson Browne this time, they're "the people who finally can't take any more/and they pick up a gun or a brick or a stone". Because taking something down with you is better than simply going down.

I don't think the rioters are doing the right thing, but I'm a tubby white guy in my late 40s and can criticize from a distance. Cops and other government employees treat me with respect, and I've only once had to wait more than 5 minutes to vote. But if my town or state treated me the way these folks get treated, I'd go all torches and pitchforks on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (08-28-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #295 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
And what's wrong with accelerationism?
The problem with accelerationism is that if you just think things are going wrong and try to make it worse; it may just be retarding real progress.
Quote:
But if my town or state treated me the way these folks get treated, I'd go all torches and pitchforks on them.
We're at the what goes 'round comes 'round stage.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:34 PM   #296 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
If going to the store for skittles can get you killed by the neighborhood watch or going for a jog can get you killed by your neighbors and no prosecutors want to go near it, nihilism starts making sense.
Except that's a distortion of reality, and not a small one. Virtually everyone is going to die of cancer and heart disease. Way down the list is homicide, and the lions share of that is committed by the same race (victim is same race as the perpetrator). Anyone advancing a narrative contrary to that is ignorant at best, evil at worst.

Quote:
And what's wrong with accelerationism? If a system has inherent problems, it's better to identify and resolve them sooner rather than later- I did read once that a stitch in time saves nine, and I've found that it tends to be true.
Burning down and killing random people is not a stitch, but an accelerant of destruction and mayhem. If the far left wants to fall on the sword of calling evil good, and good evil, then they are free to be consumed by the fire they've set.

Quote:
The rioters are Americans. They get killed with impunity and they have a need to fight back. To quote Jackson Browne this time, they're "the people who finally can't take any more/and they pick up a gun or a brick or a stone". Because taking something down with you is better than simply going down.
Browne sounds like an idiot if that's in reference to the imagined violence that practically nobody encounters unless they are looking hard for it. Rioters by definition are criminals. American criminals are entitled to due process, and then a lengthy period of confinement.

Quote:
I don't think the rioters are doing the right thing, but I'm a tubby white guy in my late 40s and can criticize from a distance. Cops and other government employees treat me with respect, and I've only once had to wait more than 5 minutes to vote. But if my town or state treated me the way these folks get treated, I'd go all torches and pitchforks on them.
Sounds like you've taken the bait of "you can never know what it's like to be one of us" and "if you don't understand us, then you're part of the problem". That bait only has violence as a conclusion. It's an extremely ignorant and pointless false dichotomy.

My worthless anecdotes are that I've been treated horribly by law enforcement and the legal system. I've been surrounded at shotgun point by deputies for having a campfire on my own property. I've had false driving infractions leveled against me and upheld by 2 judges. I was cited with "minor in possession" when I wasn't drinking and that was upheld by a judge. The officer refused to perform any testing when I requested it. Being within 10ft of an open container apparently is enough to be "in possession". I've gone to prison for associating with kids that engaged in a felony and refused to aid the investigation.

After all of that, our legal process and and enforcement is among the best in the world. It's imperfect because humans are imperfect. There's room for much improvement.

Finally, the US is the least racist country in the world, and that's something I'm proud of. The far left sometimes makes me question this fact by their expressions of explicit and systemic racism, but then I remember they are the true minority.

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-27-2020 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-28-2020, 02:06 AM   #297 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
Rise up overweight white men! Rise up!

...and go for a walk! Eat some vegetables!

57 cops were murdered in 2018. If you break the law and refuse to follow direct orders from law enforcement you cannot dictate the consequences.

That family tried to steal from Family Dollar. Everyone says that the adults didn't know the girl grabbed a doll and they insist that it only cost $1 anyway, but it was an $18 Baby Alive doll and the aunt talked to her while she held the doll before the aunt tried to steal aluminum foil.

The dad admitted to stealing underwear and throwing it out the window. They fled the scene of a crime, refused to follow direct orders, and gave the police zero reason to trust they were safe. The family was a threat until established otherwise.

People complain that the police cursed at them. I am not a swearing man, but do push-ups!

The officer that was handcuffing Dravon forcefully repositioned his leg.

Funny how the police get forceful when people resist arrest.

Don't resist arrest!

Then he missed work because he had an owie [and the police impounded the car he drove with a suspended license].

What were the consequences for a repeat offender with several charges against him?

A $475,000 settlement.

That will show them!

Did the police use excessive force? I don't know. The police chief said so, but people have zero credibility when they pretend that everything is one sided. They refuse to admit the family did a whole lot of things wrong, they just condemn the police.

There isn't a shortage of examples of police oppressing people and I can name a few specific ones, but this isn't one of them.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:09 AM   #298 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
Finally, the US is the least racist country in the world, and that's something I'm proud of.
Quoted For Truth. You can explain a lot by applying a filter of "they're projecting their own demons on others'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibid
Browne sounds like an idiot...
OTOH:
Quote:
I've been to the m*rf*n' mountain top
Heard m*rf*rs talk, seen em drop
If I ain't got a weapon I'ma pick up a rock
And when I bust yo ass I'm gon' continue to rock

Remixes of this were the highlight of 2016
knowyourmeme.com/memes/you-reposted-in-the-wrong-neighborhood
Now, you [x] in the wrong neighborhood is topical once again. I went to www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wrong+neighborhood and the latest entry was 29 minutes old. Dark yandere anime, though.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #299 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Another James Damore-like figure appears:

Pushing Back on the Narrative of Modern Systemic Racism & White Privilege by Casey Petersen

Old 08-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #300 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I'm all for the right of private companies to have a racist culture, like Amazon, Facebook, Starbucks, and Netflix, but quasi-governmental businesses need to be subjected to the same standards of non-discrimination as government.

If my company gets all crazy and tries to cram some racist nonsense at me, I'll tell them to shove it. It's up to them if they want to retain my talents or not. I'll happily contribute myself to other non-racist organizations. Would be a good excuse actually to start my own inclusive, diverse, and tolerant company.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread