Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #1291 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
I watched the video. It's not the first time this has happened.

The Willamette Valley used to have competing electric railways on opposite sides of the river. A most civilized way to travel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Electric_Railway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe...Electric_Lines

The Oregon Electric line was purchase by a consortium that consisted of General Motors, an oil company, and what became Greyhound or Trailways bus service. They stacked up the rolling stock and torched it. Details were in an Oregon Times magazine article that I can't find. If it turns up I will make my first Wikipedia edit.

I love the smell of irony in the morning -- Elon Musk
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (08-17-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #1292 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I watched the video. It's not the first time this has happened.

The Willamette Valley used to have competing electric railways on opposite sides of the river. A most civilized way to travel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Electric_Railway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe...Electric_Lines

The Oregon Electric line was purchase by a consortium that consisted of General Motors, an oil company, and what became Greyhound or Trailways bus service. They stacked up the rolling stock and torched it. Details were in an Oregon Times magazine article that I can't find. If it turns up I will make my first Wikipedia edit.
Here is our electric railroad history...

"Operating conditions in the mountain regions of the Pacific Extension proved difficult. Winter temperatures of −40 °F (−40 °C) in Montana made it challenging for steam locomotives to generate sufficient steam. The line snaked through mountainous areas, resulting in "long steep grades and sharp curves." Electrification provided an answer, especially with abundant hydroelectric power in the mountains, and a ready source of copper at Anaconda, Montana.[8] Between 1914 and 1916, the Milwaukee implemented a 3,000 volt direct current (DC) overhead system between Harlowton, Montana, and Avery, Idaho, a distance of 438 miles (705 km).[9] Pleased with the result, the Milwaukee electrified its route in Washington between Othello and Tacoma, a further 207 miles (333 km), between 1917 and 1920.[10] This section traversed the Cascades through the 2¼-mile (3.6 km) Snoqualmie Tunnel, just south of Snoqualmie Pass and over four hundred feet (120 m) lower in elevation. The single track tunnel's east portal at Hyak included an adjacent company-owned ski area (1937−1950).[11][12][13][14]

Together, the 645 miles (1,038 km) of main-line electrification represented the largest such project in the world up to that time, and would not be exceeded in the US until the Pennsylvania Railroad's efforts in the 1930s.[15] The two separate electrified districts were never unified, as the 216-mile (348 km) Idaho Division (Avery to Othello), was comparatively flat down the St. Joe River to St. Maries and through eastern Washington, and posed few challenges for steam operation.[10] Electrification cost $27 million, but resulted in savings of over $1 million per year from improved operational efficiency.[16]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chic...cific_Railroad

There are a few relics left standing, a few years back they were selling some of the old powerhouses along the line pretty cheap. I remember one pretty close to me with a decent roof still sitting on one acre for under $100k. Looked like this, but wasn't this particular one.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #1293 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[apology to those interested in the thread topic]

en.wikipedia.org:Salem_Falls_City_and_Western_Rail way
This railroad ran this railcar just south of where (but before) I grew up.

en.wikipedia.org:McKeen_Motor_Car_Company
Nice windows but they were called "The Skunk" because they weren't electric.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #1294 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
That thing is beautiful! Sorry also for the interruption...
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
skyking (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #1295 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Sheldon Cooper just wants to talk about trains now.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #1296 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Look! Squirrel!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #1297 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackstone View Post
He said he would never ride one because he wants to be heard for safety reasons when he is riding. I suggested he should put a loudspeaker on the bike to reproduce the Harley noise and he looked at me as though I was crazy.
JJ
I feel that. I love the sound of a loud sport bike, and a loud v8 mustang. Now anything else though I want them quiet. But, for my toys I want the noise. Crazy to me that I tell this to EV guys and they don't understand that someone could love the sound of a gasoline V8 or whatever you're preference is (i6, v10, v12, speed triple, 4 cylinder sport bike, v twin etc..., diesel bros).
Old 08-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #1298 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I love the sound of a loud sport bike, and a loud v8 mustang. Now anything else though I want them quiet. But, for my toys I want the noise.
For me it's the hum of a boxer four at highway speeds. If there're no compression leaks it sounds like a sewing machine. Plus the pea-shooters go pew! pew!.

If artificial sound is mandated I'd want the opening guitar riff from Sweet Child Of Mine on endless loop. Else an ascending Shephard Tone so it sound like it's Doppler Shifting toward everyone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-20-2019), slowmover (08-24-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #1299 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
For me it's the hum of a boxer four at highway speeds. If there're no compression leaks it sounds like a sewing machine. Plus the pea-shooters go pew! pew!.

If artificial sound is mandated I'd want the opening guitar riff from Sweet Child Of Mine on endless loop. Else an ascending Shephard Tone so it sound like it's Doppler Shifting toward everyone.
I bet if I tweeted Elon and said Hey bro can you make it sound like the cars from the Jetsons when the noise mandate comes in he would probably respond and be like "Yeah why not"
Old 08-20-2019, 03:47 AM   #1300 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Choose your own soundtrack would do fine.
Rage against the machine (any track)
Laurie Anderson - Oh Superman, Let x = x.
Kate Bush - The Dreaming (see the lyrics)
etc.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Reply  Post New Thread