Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

z - '13 Honda CRZ

Global - '12 Dodge Ram Cargo Van
zingaro from WNC (western north carolina)

Click image for larger version

Name:	AQ.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	14398Hello, I stumbled onto this site try to find out what was under the air intake on my Honda crz. It was a resonator?? I just got my scangage II hooked up today and I definetly need some heat in the air intake department. Ive got the front blocked off but am only getting a 20 or 30 d F rise over outside air temp.

Some good stuff here, and hope I can contribute something. In seeing one post about a 130 d F inlet temp im gonna have to fab something. I do have the top radiator hose passing right by the intake scoop.

So ill jump right in to questions:
The fogs .. I don't use um as you gotta have the main lights on + it just suckin juice out of the battery. Should I make a cover for them or try and cover that whole area. I would suspect that honeycomb area around that lite would not b beneficial?

The cover I have is a piece of aluminum flashing painted black and held on partially by the tag and some tie wraps.

Anyhow thanks for letting me in ( it took me 10 minutes to google the answer to the secret question)

Im ready to burn some GAS (less is more) .. z

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Welcome. Good start with the grill block.

That secret questions is a pain as every reference gives a different answer. Persistence pays off.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome!

I generally only see 30-40 degrees above ambient temps with a standard type warm air intake, the kind that pulls air from near a hot engine part, such as the exhaust manifold. There are guys on here who have produced really good results with a moderately more complex mod in which they install a heater core into the intake air stream, allowing hot coolant to heat air before the filter, before the intake manifold. That kind of set up reports higher temps--don't go too high--and more importantly gives stable temps that can be high even in the winter. The more crude kind will probably rarely supply more than 30-50 degrees F above whatever ambient is, according to the season.

How much power does the CRZ headlight system draw? Isn't it LED?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
zingaro (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

z - '13 Honda CRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Welcome!

I generally only see 30-40 degrees above ambient temps with a standard type warm air intake, the kind that pulls air from near a hot engine part, such

How much power does the CRZ headlight system draw? Isn't it LED?
Hey: good to know: Im workin on an airbox that draws heat off the top radiator hose + it blocks out cold air from the "grill"

about the headlites.. they are fine. the only way to get the fogs to work is turn on the main headlites. If you could do the fogs without the headlites id be in. but u cant, it does have those really brite drl lites.

u got some good numbers there, man .. .. z
Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingaro View Post
u got some good numbers there, man .. .. z
Thanks. The thirty or thirty-five mpg above EPA I generally get is at least half through hypermiling techniques, especially engine off coasting, something I don't think your CRZ can do, or at least I would not recommend it until you very carefully find out if it will wreck whichever transmission it has.Maybe someone on here already knows with certainty and will answer.

The best mods were my tire pressure, airdam, power steering delete (which I doubt you can or should do with your heavier car), injector cut off, alternator on/off, and weight reduction (only because I very militantly cut 250 or so pounds through all kinds of small part deletions and substitutions.

Do you have a fuel log here? Start one up in the garage so we can all track your progress with you!

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

z - '13 Honda CRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Thanks. The thirty or thirty-five mpg above EPA I generally get is at least half through hypermiling techniques, especially engine off coasting, something I don't think your CRZ can do, or at least I

james
JAMES : again kudos .. Well ive do a bit of engine off coasting. The crz has electric power steering so you get it back by turning the ignition back on.
Ive noticed a couple blurbs about alternator on off. Care to expand that idea?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1f034fe8-939d-42e5-a446-f3fdbfe1d776_zps8742b783.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	14412

This is my best from this past summer with less than 7500 total miles on the z
Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingaro View Post
JAMES : again kudos .. Well ive do a bit of engine off coasting. The crz has electric power steering so you get it back by turning the ignition back on.
Ive noticed a couple blurbs about alternator on off. Care to expand that idea?

Attachment 14412

This is my best from this past summer with less than 7500 total miles on the z
Nice numbers. Nice car too. Love the looks of those things, the 21st century CRX.

Here's my alt kill switch mod thread. There are lots of others too. MetroMPG got a 10% return, but the metro's alt runs continuously.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post286419

james

Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I'm heading to NC, soon. Also thinking about a WAI...but it sounds like you have a standard, which should be good for EOC.

The CVT might have me concerned a bit, but the manual should not have any issues. Honda does NOT recommend EOC for the CR-Z, as I can gather. LOVE these cars.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

z - '13 Honda CRZ

Thanks for the replys. Ive been checking out your pages james, good stuff. I might want an alt cut off on my other vehicle a dodge cargo ram. its a boat, big, with drogue chute hangin from the mirror! I can almost get 30 on the road @ 52 <. BUT, at present im off the grid and its the kitchen and bedroom so I idle a lot to run my inverter or for heat.

I don't think the z would work with a cutoff as ive adopted the practice of coasting but then I have to hold at least a thousand rpm with the throttle to get one bar of charge to charge up the IMA battery. The glide will do it but it seem not as efficient.
Ive considered trying to have someone flash the ecu to where the idle will be set higher but don't know if that will work. When its cold and set on fast idle, usually around 11 or 12 hundred rpm I dont get that bar of charge ( the bar is a digital/analog display on the dash) SO that computer is smarter than me.
I have found out its tricky to hold a grand while in neutral but im getting better at it. Ive noticed some post about "barefoot" and I can relate.

the Z is a wonderful car.. it has the throttle by wire deal so I would have to fab a mechanical stop on the pedal..

Im retired so sometimes I drive just to burn gas but have a set course to compare data.

THANKS for all u folks that are paying into the SSI system. Its great and I hope its still around when u reach 62........ 2
thx again z
Old 01-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

z - '13 Honda CRZ

Good numbers Ultart .. If your coming to the Carolinas from the south gas up in SC. its the cheapest state around... don't forget to wave Ü

Reply  Post New Thread