Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #3111 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_Autonomous_Zone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain't_Nobody's_Business_If_You_Do

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #3112 (permalink)
Banned

Depending of what kind of people you put in the island, it can be 10x times worse than government.
And let's remamber most people don't have self controll/self dicipline, good behavior or good will. A lot of people would be like freak animals without law enforcement aggents like police.
It's sad but it's true. Our species it's a crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've wanted to build my own island so I could start a country where liberty is actually practiced, rather than given lip service. The government would be so small and weak that they would need to serve the people, not control them.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #3113 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
country where liberty is actually practiced
The World is getting too small and depleted for everybody to just do whatever they want. More coordination and cooperation will be needed going forward.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #3114 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
If you stick with it, he progresses from aerospace for funding, through [1]farming for biofuel, [2]OTEC, and [3]tidal power (Moon power!) to creating barrier islands full of housing and deep-sea farming with artificial lights using [4]hydrothermal power. Whew.
Rather than the social aspects, I was pointing to at least four sources of energy that are no being exploited today.

Not to mention towing icebergs to LA and operating ski resorts on the top. This isn't just about islands. Did anyone watch the video?

Old 10-05-2018, 01:34 AM   #3115 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Depending of what kind of people you put in the island, it can be 10x times worse than government.
And let's remamber most people don't have self controll/self dicipline, good behavior or good will. A lot of people would be like freak animals without law enforcement aggents like police.
It's sad but it's true. Our species it's a crap.
Step 1 would be to identify the genetic markers for sociopathy and narcissism and not admit those who test high in those traits. I'd probably be voted off the island shortly thereafter.

I didn't suggest no law, I suggested maximal liberty. That means we don't create laws at some feverish pace. How many laws exist in the US? Could the law books fit in a large room? Is it reasonable to expect a person to know and abide by those thousands of laws?

The law in my country would be accessible to the common person. A law degree would be laughable, because that would be like having a degree in shoe tying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
The World is getting too small and depleted for everybody to just do whatever they want. More coordination and cooperation will be needed going forward.
Coordination and cooperation, yes. Authoritarianism and coercion, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Did anyone watch the video?
Keeping up with you is a full time job, and I already have a full time job. I'll eventually get to it, eventually.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 02:35 AM   #3116 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fair enough.

Any others? The part about putting international airports in mid-ocean to make transoceanic flights less arduous?

Old 10-05-2018, 02:57 AM   #3117 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
In 2017 the US shrank carbon emissions more than any other country.
China increased carbon emissions more than anyone by a lot. They are an example for no one.

Yeah let's be more like china, bud some solar, wind and hydro and build a crap load of coal plants.
You can see the dip in the graph there, where emissions have levelled off?

China is building a higher percentage of alternative than many other countries. While their gross emissions are on the rise, due to rapid economic growth and modernization, their per capita emissions are still only a fraction of those of the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ons_per_capita

In fact, they're lower than many countries that *don't* rely on industrial production to carry their economies.

Granted, the GDP to emissions ratio of China is still not great, but that's what happens when you're building everything for everyone else. They get to offload their emissions deficit on you while enjoying your cheaply built products.

Weird, ain't it?

Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #3118 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Isacc Arthur has started a new series on Terraforming the Earth. He starts off lightly with Seasteading & Artificial Islands:

Another fun dream. He is completely disconnected from reality on the amount of energy required to accomplish any of this terraforming. Moving cubic kms of material is an extravagence that will soon leave us. Net energy availability is declining already. We had our one time carbon pulse and half of it is gone. We use resources via the best first. Liquid fuel to build big things or farm food will soon (20 years) be very expensive. Things will be much simpler in the future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-05-2018), niky (10-06-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #3119 (permalink)
Banned

What about recessive genes?
Many sociopaths are born form normal people, indicating it have recessive genes involved.
And sociopaths will breed more, since many women have a savage disere for bad man.

What if a person have freedom to took freedom from others ? Like a freak religious couple who perform brainwashing since early childhood days? Or a freak liberal who perform brainwashing (imposing freak values as religious do) since childhood?

Freedom it's relative...

What about a drunk, or drug user, who think get high often it's his right, but will became dangerous tio other or became a high cost for health system?

The true in such imaginary system is that when we imagine it we just think about put people like ourselfs there. It's always more a projection of our own selfish than a concecption of freedom.

I'm in favor for some eugenism (well intented and not compulsory) to try to fix this crazy sh...t called human species. But we have no good data yet to trace genes for good will, conscience, anti sociall behavior. There is a long road until we find how fix that crap, and even so we would need winsdow and courage to do it, and those two qualities are also very rare among humans.

Quote:
Step 1 would be to identify the genetic markers for sociopathy and narcissism and not admit those who test high in those traits. I'd probably be voted off the island shortly thereafter.

I didn't suggest no law, I suggested maximal liberty. That means we don't create laws at some feverish pace. How many laws exist in the US? Could the law books fit in a large room? Is it reasonable to expect a person to know and abide by those thousands of laws?

The law in my country would be accessible to the common person. A law degree would be laughable, because that would be like having a degree in shoe tying.

Last edited by All Darc; 10-05-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #3120 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
It's not government responsibility to save people, even children, from what we perceive to be poor decisions, such as religious practices, including the increasingly popular denial of biology. Children are a product of their parents genetics and the environment they create for them. It isn't fair, but who said nature is fair.

My island country would be the haven for research on these taboo science fields.

I'm not saying my country would be a utopia; there is no such thing. It would promote truth and produce great discoveries though.

There would be social safety nets, but they would come with stipulations to make it clear that the benefits are there to catch people from utter catastrophe, not a system to game. If you take public money for healthcare for instance, the public then has a say in your health decisions. No smoking, no drinking, no drugs, no 300 lb body weight, etc.

Food assistance would be in the form of reimbursing grocery stores for staple food items like rice/beans/potatoes. No pizza parties on the citizens dime.

Flat sales tax to fund government programs. It would be made progressive in that staple food items would not be taxed, and the first $500 of rent/mortgage payments per month would be tax free. Maybe the first $5,000 on a new/used vehicle purchase is tax free too. It wouldn't matter much to people in the first place, with something like a 2% tax rate.

The function of government would be to secure national defense, enforce rule of law, protect the commons, and maybe provide some rehabilitation services if they can be shown to be effective.

If housing became expensive in a popular city, government would do nothing to address the "problem". Nobody has a right to be in a particular city, or a particular part of a city.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-05-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam