Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2022, 08:09 AM   #971 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
There are no hydrocarbons which exist below a depth of 8-10 kilometers. They're destroyed by the heat.
https://www.planete-energies.com/en/...its-are-formed
🤔

Tiber oil field

Depth 10.68 kilometers (35,055 feet)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiber_Oil_Field

The Tiber Oil Field is a deepwater offshore oil field located in the Keathley Canyon block 102 of the United States sector of the Gulf of Mexico. The deepwater field (defined as water depth 1,300 to 5,000 feet (400 to 1,520 m),[2]) was discovered in September 2009 and it is operated by BP. Described as a "giant" find, it is estimated to contain 4 to 6 billion barrels (640×106 to 950×106 m3) of oil in place.[3][4] Although BP states it is too early to be sure of the size – a "huge" field is usually considered to contain 250 million barrels (40×106 m3).[3] It required the drilling of a 10,685 m (35,056 ft) deep well under 1,260 m (4,130 ft) of water, making it one of the deepest wells ever drilled at the time of discovery.[5][6][7]

Some additional info.

https://www.ogj.com/general-interest...-deepest-wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You're aware of course that, at a certain depth, the lithosphere is so hot that, it's impossible for 'liquid' oil to even exist?
10 kilometers or deeper could be the magic zone in which oil forms. (originates)
Where everything comes together (chemical components, heat, pressure and time) before percolating towards the surface.

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-12-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-09-2022, 03:18 PM   #972 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Typical aero head answer, at least 30 years out of date.
No one thought oil existed that deep in the 1980s was because no one could drill that deep.
As technology allows oil companies to go deeper and deeper we keep finding oil. Funny how that works.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:26 PM   #973 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,594 Times in 7,077 Posts
Quote:
Typical aero head answer, at least 30 years out of date.
We should at least give him credit for trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
We can't fool ( non-binary pronoun ) nature!
I promised to drive upriver and stack firewood, so maybe someone can follow these links?

Quote:
https://www.educate-yourself.org › cn › oilfieldsrefilling10apr05.shtml
Oil Fields Are Refilling...Naturally - Sometimes Rapidly By Robert Cooke
In the past, it was not suspected that oil fields can refill because it was assumed the oil formed in place, or nearby, rather than far below. According to marine geologist Harry Roberts, at Louisiana State University, "petroleum geologists don't accept it as a general phenomenon because it doesn't happen in most reservoirs.

https://rense.com › general63 › refil.htm
Oil Fields Are Refilling...Naturally - Sometimes Rapidly There Are More ...
Oil Fields Are Refilling...Naturally - Sometimes Rapidly There Are More Oil Seeps Than All The Tankers On Earth Oil Fields Are Refilling... Naturally - Sometimes Rapidly Deep underwater, and deeper underground, scientists see surprising hints that gas and oil deposits can be replenished, filling up again, sometimes rapidly.

https://www.heraldnet.com › news › some-petroleum-fields-see-rapid-replenishment
Some petroleum fields see rapid replenishment | HeraldNet.com
Although it sounds too good to be true, increasing evidence from the Gulf of Mexico suggests that some old oil fields are being refilled by petroleum surging up from deep below, scientists...
I see that one of them is rense.com. That's a real blast from the past!

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 07:06 PM   #974 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I could bump my Cosmic Catastrophe thread, but I'll drop this here:

When it happens it will take 30 years for the icebergs to reach the Southern oceans.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 07:15 PM   #975 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Notice new Mexico not frozen.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:08 PM   #976 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hear that Archeluta Mesa has everything a mini-civilization would need to reestablish itself.

OTOH:

modernsurvivalblog.com/nuclear/us-nuclear-target-map/

Pick your poison, I guess?

Old 12-12-2022, 12:05 AM   #977 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I hear that Archeluta Mesa has everything a mini-civilization would need to reestablish itself.

OTOH:

modernsurvivalblog.com/nuclear/us-nuclear-target-map/

Pick your poison, I guess?
Funny you should mention; I have contemplated where a decent place in the US would be in nuclear warfare. Don't imagine someone would spend a warhead on my city of 10,000.

There's an actual bomb shelter in a forested area of a farmer's field I trespassed onto where I found canned goods and newspapers and magazines from the 50's. It had a winding entrance and a hand cranked ventilation system. No filtration so you'd be enjoying the canned goods with a side of plutonium.

Interesting that we still don't yet have the answer if we should have made a first strike or not. All will be revealed at the end.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 12-12-2022, 12:35 AM   #978 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

First strike = first mistake. Nobody got time for that.

The largest yellow circle appears to center on Crater Lake. Not a bad choice, high enough to ride out a pole-shift megatsunami and plenty of fresh water.

I'd always figuered on Boise, ID; third largest city West of the Rockies in the 19th Century. It looks like the smaller circle is centered on the Payette National Forest.

Bomb shelter sounds like a bad way to end. How's about sculpt a shallow cone-shaped pit and pour a cellular concrete double wall foundation (described by U of O architect Richard Britz [citation needed]). Buried under the center -- 55-gallon drums with compressed air and a detonator. Top it with a dome.

If there's a flood, blow the air to break suction with the ground and float away downstream.

My boyhood fantasy invloved underground tunnels with bad air conditioning and uniforms like the Moon girls on Space 1999.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:03 AM   #979 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
First strike = first mistake. Nobody got time for that.
Not if it's the only strike. There was a window of opportunity. Better angels and all that, and I'm not regretting how it played out, even if I pay for it.

Quote:
Bomb shelter sounds like a bad way to end. How's about sculpt a shallow cone-shaped pit and pour a cellular concrete double wall foundation (described by U of O architect Richard Britz [citation needed]). Buried under the center -- 55-gallon drums with compressed air and a detonator. Top it with a dome.
I'll try to sneak back there one of these days and document what I find. Might be a while though. Still an interesting find out in nowhere forest land. Only hint is the small rusty metal vents poking out of the ground. I still don't really know how the person that revealed it to me found it.

Quote:
My boyhood fantasy invloved underground tunnels with bad air conditioning and uniforms like the Moon girls on Space 1999.
I won't get into the states of dress my fantasies involved. Once overcoming current crisis, the next order of business is creating the new generation that will overcome the next crisis.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 12-12-2022, 10:37 AM   #980 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Tiber oil field

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post

��

Tiber oil field

Depth 10.68 kilometers (35,055 feet)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiber_Oil_Field

The Tiber Oil Field is a deepwater offshore oil field located in the Keathley Canyon block 102 of the United States sector of the Gulf of Mexico. The deepwater field (defined as water depth 1,300 to 5,000 feet (400 to 1,520 m),[2]) was discovered in September 2009 and it is operated by BP. Described as a "giant" find, it is estimated to contain 4 to 6 billion barrels (640×106 to 950×106 m3) of oil in place.[3][4] Although BP states it is too early to be sure of the size – a "huge" field is usually considered to contain 250 million barrels (40×106 m3).[3] It required the drilling of a 10,685 m (35,056 ft) deep well under 1,260 m (4,130 ft) of water, making it one of the deepest wells ever drilled at the time of discovery.[5][6][7]

Some additional info.

https://www.ogj.com/general-interest...-deepest-wells

10 kilometers or deeper could be the magic zone in which oil forms. (originates)
Where everything comes together (chemical components, heat, pressure and time) before percolating towards the surface.

>

Thanks. That was worth some laughs.
If this was supposed to be some kind of indictment of the 8km- 10km rule-of-thumb, it fell short of the goal:
* The only evidence which could support your premise was never disclosed by British Petroleum.
* A 'hint' was provided in the data for BP's 'Kashida' well, of 32,500-foot depth.
* By default, you've given the authors of the rule-of-thumb a classroom grade of 'A.' Any way you do the math, their metric fell within 93%, a discrepancy of only a little over 6%. That's pretty good for a globally-averaged metric.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* I'm constructing a proper rebuttal, and will report when complete.
* If you want to go 'to trial', I encourage to revisit your textbooks on, Geology, Oil Well Drilling Technology, Petroleum Engineering, Well completion, and Oil Refining Fractionation Distillation Temperatures, Chemical Thermal Dissociation. That's what I've been doing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And as an aside: this notion about petroleum originating from Earth's mantle is currently under examination in Hawaii.
Kilauea and Mona Loa Volcanoes have been under continuous eruption for some time now.
Since the Hawaiian lava and magma communicates directly with Earth's mantle, if hydrocarbons are sourced from deep within the planet, they should be venting from both volcanoes.
And since they both have an 1,800-degree F ignition source, plus infinite oxygen available for combustion, both locations ought to be enshrouded with firenadoes, continuously.
If mantle-sourced hydrocarbons exist, I can't possibly think of a better location from which to presently experience the phenomenon.
I'll be back when I've completed my studies.

Last edited by aerohead; 12-12-2022 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: add data
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
climate change, cringe, lies, scam