Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #51 (permalink)
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I'm closing this post...EcoModder isn't a place to advertise...if you want to talk to whoever contacts can be traded in private, that's what email and private messaging is for. If someone wants to put up tests with their plugs, they should feel free, but get ready for whole mounds of skepticism there too...after it's a spark plug in 6% is a pretty huge efficiency gain to toss around when automakers have been experimenting with all sorts of things including using two plugs and such on won't claim a number close to that.

"Any wonder CEOs don't post. Somehow I thought this forum was different."

You're product is competing for airtime with a whole pile of scams and other crap. I don't know if it's one of them, but when you're trying to sell something it's always going to be guilty until proven innocent, wherever you go (unless you're talking to a sucker).
I assure you that Pulstar is not a scam. It is different than spark plugs and I have only tried to illustrate that difference and fielded your questions as best I can. I don't see any spark plug CEOs doing that. I want to thank everyone for an open discussion.

Cheers.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #52 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I wasn't meaning to say it's a scam, just that everything in this market gets mixed up like that. I'm a little sick and that's why I had darin second-guess me, . Sorry for the confusion!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

PM? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I'm closing this post...EcoModder isn't a place to advertise...if you want to talk to whoever contacts can be traded in private, that's what email and private messaging is for.
SVOboy- I tried to find a PM button to click, but no luck. Neither could I locate an e-mail addy . I tried...but I was forced to "go public". Other forums have the "PM" avenue. -whitevette
Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #54 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker View Post
Any wonder CEOs don't post.
LOL, CEO of what? Didn't Enron used to have a CEO?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #55 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dparker -

Quote:
Any wonder CEOs don't post. Somehow I thought this forum was different.
I assure you it is far worse in other forums. saturnfans.com has a thread on Pulstars that makes this site look like a bunch of Panda Bears.

From my POV, you have been fair and I thank you for your posts. Since you are interacting with the public, every word you write represents the company. Like it or not, I think you are actually obligated to "takez yourz punchez" in the same way a good tech-rep would over the phone.

Question: Would you say that your product is a different implementation of the Nology HotWires performance ignitions wires? :

Nology HotWires Spark Plug Wires Ignition Wires Manufacturer
Quote:
Nology HotWires are the most technologically advanced ignition wires available. HotWires create the most powerful spark possible. HotWires are engineered with a special built-in capacitor, exclusive only to HotWires. This revolutionary design allows energy from the ignition coil to accumulate in the capacitor until the voltage at the spark plug electrodes reaches the ionization point. At that split second point the entire power of the stored spark is discharged at once, creating a spark 300 times more powerful. The result is faster, more complete combustion, and most importantly,
MORE HORSEPOWER that's 100%. Smog Legal.

For Hotwires the capacitor is in the wire. Because of this, Nology HotWires require special spark plugs.

For Pulstars, the capacitor is in the plug.

Benefits: Pulstars cost less. $100 for four plugs versus ~$200 for HotWires
Benefits: You cover more ground. You are changing only the plug, not the rest of the ignition system. Therefore, in theory, it should work on all drivetrains.

Problems: Proven on many but not all drivetrains.

Do you think this is a fair comparison?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 AM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

cmslick3 - '06 Kia Spectra 5 Base
90 day: 29.16 mpg (US)
I am a satisfied user of the Pulstar plugs. I purchased them in July and since then I have been averaging more MPG out of a tank. I'm driving an auto trans vehicle and I do notice that I am able to accelerate with less throttle without being run over by other vehicles.

----------------------

RED FLAG edit from admin: Because cmslick3's
first post is in this thread, I'd caution all readers to be suspicious of motives/authenticity and skeptical of what he reports. Personally, I'd dismiss this post.

----------------------

In the grand scheme of things I've gained not only MPG but HP as well. I can't PROVE that I have a HP change but I definately feel it. As can my wife who generally dislikes 4 bangers but since the plugs went it she noticed an improvement.

The only problem I had with the Pulstar plugs was the gap specified for my car was incorrect on the documentation that came with the plugs. I ran them for a couple weeks at the documentation gap, then re-gapped them to the MFR gap and thats when I noticed the improvements.

I'm not sure if other people have the issue with the gap being incorrect or if it was a mistake on my part.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. A better explanation would have been reduced throttle position. You are right in standard shift vehicles RPMs = speed. In many automatics especially CVTs (continuously variable transmissions) the torque will actually reduce RPM. All have the effect or reducing throttle position.
Well that should make for an easy test for anyone with a scangauge and a set of pulstars. Just go out for a drive and monitor TPS (or MAF if you have it as an Xgauge) at a fixed speed with and without the pulstars.

If you have an ODBII data logger you could even log TPS or MAF on closed loop accelerations too. That should prove the point.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 08-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #58 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmslick3 View Post
I purchased them in July and since then I have been averaging more MPG out of a tank.
But you also pumped up your tires and have probably been changing your driving style as well. You willing to put your tires back the way they were and try again?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #59 (permalink)
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
dparker -

I assure you it is far worse in other forums. saturnfans.com has a thread on Pulstars that makes this site look like a bunch of Panda Bears.

From my POV, you have been fair and I thank you for your posts. Since you are interacting with the public, every word you write represents the company. Like it or not, I think you are actually obligated to "takez yourz punchez" in the same way a good tech-rep would over the phone.

Question: Would you say that your product is a different implementation of the Nology HotWires performance ignitions wires? :

Nology HotWires Spark Plug Wires Ignition Wires Manufacturer

For Hotwires the capacitor is in the wire. Because of this, Nology HotWires require special spark plugs.

For Pulstars, the capacitor is in the plug.

Benefits: Pulstars cost less. $100 for four plugs versus ~$200 for HotWires
Benefits: You cover more ground. You are changing only the plug, not the rest of the ignition system. Therefore, in theory, it should work on all drivetrains.

Problems: Proven on many but not all drivetrains.

Do you think this is a fair comparison?

CarloSW2
Great comparison. Actually the history of putting capacitors in the ignition circuit dates back to the first patent in 1919. Nolology put it in the wire. Our other product, DirectHits (Plug in some real horsepower with DirectHits) puts it in a device that attaches to a non-resistor spark plug. We, of course, put it inside the plug. Capacitance (measured in picofarads) is defeated by resistance (impedence). The further away from the spark you are the more resistance you have to overcome. That's why Pulstar is the next logical step in high power discharge. Everything I have seen on Nology wires indicate they work great. The problem they had (not sure if this have been solved) is they set off a lot of electro-magnetic interference and may not be street legal.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #60 (permalink)
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I've been running Pulsestars for months. They work well but my testing isn't rigorous enough to detect differences that small- if there are any.

I got the impression they are a pretty straight-up outfit. They sure have endured a lot of crap. That said, I don't know if the product would ever pay for itself in fuel savings. I'm so cheap I KNOW I'd never spring for 'em on my own unless the savings were proven and significant.
So what kind of savings would entice you? Let's say you get 6% (our average) better fuel economy and drive average 12,000 miles per year. My math says you would save $115 per year and Pulstar would last 4 years for a total savings of $460 (about a 400% ROI). Because we primarily generate torque, you would probably have a better driving experience as a side benefit. Is this enough though? We have seen all sorts of claims of magnets, whirly-gigs and oil additives claiming 40% fuel economy. Is that the expectation I'm trying to sell through? Can a legitimate product cut through that stuff?

Reply  Post New Thread