Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
Ordered the 15" Flat Racing hupcaps yesterday...

When I bought the 15" pizza pans they were too small, needed the 16" pans to fit my 15" steel wheels correctly. So now my wife has 4 new 15" pizza pans in her kitchen.

Gave up and going the cheap route and paid $90 bucks on Ebay.

I reinstalled the upper grill block but did it behind the grille this time. My prior grille block was just a old tee shirt stretched over the removable grille. Pulled tight and stapled behind grille then sprayed with old paint I had a few times. Got my best yet MPG that way, 35.8 hwy. This current grille block is not as aero as the 1st one.

Today or tomorrow I may just go ahead and use expanding foam to make a flush to the fender to the hood line grille block. Plan is to line bumper area where removable grille sits with aluminum foil. Pop back in grille. Tape foil covered cardboard flush to the bumper up over the grille flush to the grille. Then spray expanding foam from the back of grille thru to fill in the entire area. Hoping it results in a full grille block that is smooth and flush with bumper up to the hood. I will then again cover the whole thing with black fabric.

If all goes as planned the entire grille will still be easily removed.

Of course there is the possibility the grille will be stuck in there too!

Pete

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Finally got the racing hupcaps on just now....

They look great. Wish they came before yesterdays one day round trip from 03911 to 10017!

Will post the pic later.

Pete
Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Pics of Camry...

Full moon hubcaps:

Stock Drivers mirror, need better aero mirrors?:

Old to New Tires 195/70-14 to 205/70-15, 6.3% oversized. Bit wider too but inflated to 45 front, 40 rear they roll real well. Notice that nice solid center rib. Balance of smooth and LRR, quiet too.

Going out to take a few more pics to post while I can.

Then perhaps we can discuss what other "easy" aero mods I can do keeping it the look reasonably normal. As I mentioned I do drive to clients in this car.

Pete
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Since you've raised the car slightly with the oversized tires, what about dropping it slightly to compensate?

I know others squirm when this technique is mentioned, but the old-school method of chopping off half a coil at each corner may work (depending on the spring / coil seat design).

I did see that you don't want a "lowered" ride, but returning to stock or slightly less may help slightly.

PS - the smoothies look great!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmomni View Post
Stock Drivers mirror, need better aero mirrors?
The best way to improve the aero there is to reduce frontal area. I'm assuming you probably don't want to delete/replace with a large convex mirror inside.

Tasdrouille went with a half-size convex racing mirror on his Jetta on the driver's side. Decent compromise.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Cheapo lowering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Since you've raised the car slightly with the oversized tires, what about dropping it slightly to compensate?

I know others squirm when this technique is mentioned, but the old-school method of chopping off half a coil at each corner may work (depending on the spring / coil seat design).

I did see that you don't want a "lowered" ride, but returning to stock or slightly less may help slightly.

PS - the smoothies look great!
I thought about the old school cut a coil trick but was told by a very knowledgeable Toyota Nation member its not doable due to the way the coil springs on the McPherson struts seat.

Just replaced the rear struts with Monro Quick Struts which added another 1/2 in height from the saggy old strut height too!

Then I thought, mmmm, remember how we used to add rubber coil spring extenders onto the rear springs when we were young? The basically fit in btw the coils and you got 4 of these rubber rectangles with fitted ends. Jammed 2 of the at the top and 2 at the bottom btw coils and it was the cheapo method of raising the rear or the car.

Front coils are soft as the struts are original. Easy to push down on car and lower it a inch or so. How about I take some of the heavy bungee shock cord I have from my old Hobie Cat and simply use it to compress the front coils? LOL
Its like 3/8 inch thick. I bet I could get it to lower the front a inch easily by wrapping it around the front coils several times so there is always downward tension. When I hit a bump and the spring recoils the bungee will have some stretch to it and give without a problem anyway.
I figure I can try a few wraps and road test it over bumps, cornering, braking and see how it handles. Add or remove some wraps until it lowers the front enough to remove the new added height.

Dam, SO need a garage. Dont currently have one or I'd try this right now.

Pete
Old 06-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

I may just go ahead and delete the right mirror...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The best way to improve the aero there is to reduce frontal area. I'm assuming you probably don't want to delete/replace with a large convex mirror inside.

Tasdrouille went with a half-size convex racing mirror on his Jetta on the driver's side. Decent compromise.
and add a blind spot mirror on the inside for the right side.

Left side a smaller racing mirror.

Need to think about it.

Going to move onto the underbelly. Lots to be done under there pretty easily in the front.

Will post some frontal pics from before I changed tires.

Need to discuss suggestions for air dam design.

tks

Pete
Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Camry - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 20.91 mpg (US)
i been looking in to the celica side mirrors they should be better
Old 06-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
BigEco

Scepter Wagon Manual - '96 Toyota Scepter 2.2G SXV15
90 day: 27.41 mpg (US)

クレスタ - '93 Toyota Cresta Tourer S JZX90
90 day: 19.12 mpg (US)
With undercar mods on my Scepter, I am attaching a front diffuser to the front lip/air dam that I made. I will just fabricate it using aluminum. I will do this because our cars are aerodynamically dirty underneath.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Camry - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 20.91 mpg (US)
very true on the under side the gen 6 hybrid has ALOT of underbelly pans to reduce the drag also has shelds on the windshield wipers to help make it more flush to the cowl

Reply  Post New Thread