Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #411 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Anyway, lets revisit serial (series, same thing) vs parallel.

Again, if you think it is smart to drive a generator to drive a motor to turn the wheels (aka series), then take the chain off your bike and replace it with a pedal driven generator and a motor connected to the wheel.

I don't care if you are at bsfc peak, you will still be like "man does this heavy a$$ bike ever suck!!" as compared to the direct chain drive.

Last edited by dcb; 10-29-2009 at 01:13 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to dcb For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (10-29-2009)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 AM   #412 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Railroad engines do it because they need to start an average of 130 cars @ 100000lb each moving without breaking anything. Not because its the ultimate in efficiency.

Same with dynamic breaking, its a financial practical design not for efficiency.

The "frame" of a locomotive is a 40' long 12" steel plate with holes drilled and cut in it for mounting stuff.

Steam was more powerful diesel is easier to ship....
Dave
Old 10-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #413 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Wait... I can't get cans of steam anymore?

I could swear I'd seen jars of replacement smoke for wire harnesses, I just thought that if I could get something that hard to find, maybe steam wasn't such a stretch...

Old 10-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #414 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I don't care if you are at bsfc peak, you will still be like "man does this heavy a$$ bike ever suck!!" as compared to the direct chain drive.
Then obviously you have to order a lighter motor & generator set :-)

Then add a battery pack, and watch yourself zoom along pedaling moderately all the time, while the electric motor accelerates you from stops and speeds you up the hills, and regen replenishes the battery down the other side. What you have may not be a bike, exactly, but it'd be pretty useful transport for a lot of people.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Jammer (10-29-2009)
Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #415 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

wow, you obviously don't understand anything about physics or logic. There are batteries in both parallel and series systems, to erroneously mix it in only for series is such a stupid mistake that a boston fern would have sufficient intelligence to avoid.

you want to pedal moderately? change gears.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #416 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Then obviously you have to order a lighter motor & generator set :-)

Then add a battery pack, and watch yourself zoom along pedaling moderately all the time, while the electric motor accelerates you from stops and speeds you up the hills, and regen replenishes the battery down the other side. What you have may not be a bike, exactly, but it'd be pretty useful transport for a lot of people.
I think this is true due to what happen to a certain 13 year old (me) and what he built from his left over Mo-Ped parts.

Support American
Workers!
Old 10-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #417 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Virtually no bicycles are made serial because it is inefficient, and the consumers are sure to notice.

I think james is only defending the idea because he mistakenly thinks his insight is serial

(see: thread of mass-confusion)

As you can see it is parallel, the engine is physically connected to the wheels:

Old 10-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #418 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Virtually no bicycles are made serial because it is inefficient, and the consumers are sure to notice.

I think james is only defending the idea because he mistakenly thinks his insight is serial

(see: thread of mass-confusion)

As you can see it is parallel, the engine is physically connected to the wheels:

Opps I goofed. However the small engine was physically connected to the wheels, but I do not recall a battery.

All I did was take a moped motor that sat directly on the front tire and made it turn and put the engine on a large back tire of a 27 inch frame lightweight bike. The moped did 17mph before I jumped a ramp and broke it. My modified 27 inch ten speed went almost 40 MPH with the same motor on the rear tire, BUT after ten minutes it would always blow the rear tire out because they were so thin. - I was only 13. But it sure was fun cruising around at 40 mph on a bike without peddling and getting somewhere well over 200 MPG (the moped was said to got 212 MPG).

Support American
Workers!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #419 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
wow, you obviously don't understand anything about physics or logic.
Easy killer...
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #420 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
wow, you obviously don't understand anything about physics or logic.
Oh, darn :-( Does that mean I'm going to have to return my BS in math & physics, and my MS in computer engineering?

Quote:
There are batteries in both parallel and series systems, to erroneously mix it in only for series is such a stupid mistake that a boston fern would have sufficient intelligence to avoid.
Whereas I'd think even yeast (thank you, Terry Pratchett) would have the sense to refer back to its previous (and quoted) post, and see that batteries were never mentioned. Your example was a bike with the chain & gears replaced with a motor/generator set. Which might have advantages in itself, if you could get a light enough set that was efficient. Infinite gear ratios (like diesel-electric locomotives), no more greasy chains, or missing shifts because the derailleurs are a bit off...

Quote:
you want to pedal moderately? change gears.
Guess you never worked at a place where you had to climb about 800 vertical feet of around 8-10% grade first thing in the morning. Even the lowest gear on my street bike didn't allow moderate pedalling. The mountain bike was a bit better, but it was still slow. Then coming down in the evening I'd have to brake from the 40 mph or so downhill run (coulda been more, but for near misses with deer & other wildlife) to make a left onto the public road. Sure would have been nice to be able to store all that energy in a battery, and use it on the climb the next day :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Christ (10-29-2009)
Reply  Post New Thread