Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
1995 Previa LE S/C Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
I just finished a cesarean section for previa (I'm on call today); I have to say that's one of the worst names for a car I've ever heard

You think THAT'S bad, the '64 Chrysler Epidural probably beats that out.

It is funny when typing into Google it will autosuggest "previa placenta" among the other common searches.

Last edited by AlaricD; 12-18-2009 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Note: Not a real car
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
Gas Passer

Burnt's Cobalt - '09 Chevy Cobalt LT XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaricD View Post
You think THAT'S bad, the '64 Chrysler Epidural probably beats that out.
hahaha ok do an image search for 'epidural' and then one for 'previa' and you tell me which one looks nastier. I lost 2000cc of blood with the previa, I don't lose any when i insert an epidural

Chrystler epidural? I'd think that was some japanese car that was lost in translation, but it's chrystler.....
Old 12-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
It'd be interesting to have an automatic system monitoring the battery state to override and start charging.
Some manufacturers are using "smart charging" charge as much as possible when decelerating, and at the most efficient times.

I learned pretty quick to add -placenta to any searches on Previa.

Sounds fine If you don't know what it means.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
1995 Previa LE S/C Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Some manufacturers are using "smart charging" charge as much as possible when decelerating, and at the most efficient times.
Probably not implemented on the '95 Previa...

I could wire it with the brake light switch-- so when I'm braking, it will activate the alternator.

Granted, that could be somewhat counterproductive when stopped at a light, since the brake pedal is usually held for that. But when letting off the brake and leaving the stoplight, the alternator won't interfere with acceleration.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Orange4boy,
Do you run with that accessories driveshaft hooked up? When we had one I always wondered how much HP that system required. It's great to see a Previa on here, they are my favorite van because they are so innovative. Down right useful too.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
The driveshaft is still installed but the belts are off.

Best van evah!

Quote:
I could wire it with the brake light switch-- so when I'm braking, it will activate the alternator.
Actually, it would be best to have it hooked up to charge during engine braking, and acceleration. At idle, the engine is at it's most inefficient. Most efficient is at low rpm, large throttle opening.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Last edited by orange4boy; 01-04-2010 at 12:38 AM..
Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a 96 SC. The Clutched SAD is a very interesting idea. Clutched off the main pulley and that way at steady cruise it would drop both the Power steering and Alternator.

Micro switch on the gas peddle so that when it is fully released it would kick on and recombinant charge. For coasting adjust a slight amount of slack in the throttle cable so you can keep it disengaged if you want but not feeding it any fuel. Wire the A/C so if it is turned on it overrides and keeps the clutch engage.

I think I read you were contemplating trying to EV through the SADS? Sounds good on paper but the couplers are crap and I think you would be replacing them often. If you plant to do that then I think you would have to put a true driver shaft in with conventional CVs or universals.

Why not get a 4x4 truck transmission and transfer case and EV drive via the front output?
I think it would be possible to use a gear drive case with what is know as a "dual shifter" That would allow you to engage 4x4 (or the electric motor in this case) but get the gear box in the case into neutral to disconnect you from the regular transmission.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prefer Previa or...?

Hey there,
This is my first post. You're very ambitious to be making all these changes to your ride. I am thinking of getting a Previa, but the low mpg is a bit discouraging. I guess that is what modding is all about, though. Why settle for less.

That being said, are there any other vehicles similar to the Previa that do get better gas mileage to start with?

Also, have you ever heard of pre-vaporizing fuel to increase efficiency. How about adding a fuel cell to add a little umph? These might be bad ideas from an explosive stand point

Anyway, glad to be here
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromod View Post
Hey there,
This is my first post. You're very ambitious to be making all these changes to your ride. I am thinking of getting a Previa, but the low mpg is a bit discouraging. I guess that is what modding is all about, though. Why settle for less.

That being said, are there any other vehicles similar to the Previa that do get better gas mileage to start with?

Also, have you ever heard of pre-vaporizing fuel to increase efficiency. How about adding a fuel cell to add a little umph? These might be bad ideas from an explosive stand point

Anyway, glad to be here
Mpg is a factor of weight, gearing,parasidic drag (both mechanical and aerodynamic). The previa is about as clean as it gets for the size. Interestingly the sc models has higher gears 3.73 then the non sc models that make the vehicle turn lower rpm on the hwy. But the sc gets worse mpg. Non sc owners frequently report mid 20's and those with manuals report high 20's. This may be a explained by the engine is in it's sweet spot. But the sc is on the verge of lugging and not disengaging the super charger.
I wonder if putting 4.10 and a manual transmission on a sc would be an improvement.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
Modding the engine in the SC to get more low-end torque would help as well, as you'd be able to run lower rpm without lugging, and may actually be able to get better mpg than a non-SC, with the extra power when desired.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Reply  Post New Thread