Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: AMERICANS: Would you buy a 125cc motorcycle for the street?
Yes! 35 40.23%
Hell no! 22 25.29%
Yes, but only at the right price. 30 34.48%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #421 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
The Navi is 2/3s the price of the 50cc Ruckus scooter even. I wonder if the Ruckus tires and fender would swap onto the Navi? Maybe I would like that compared to the Trail which is double the Navi price.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #422 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I think that Navi is great, but I'd probably pay the extra $1900 or whatever for the new Trail over the Navi.
As the Trail already features an automatic clutch, it might be already easy enough for most riders who would otherwise look out for a fully-automatic such as the Navi. Even though the Cub-type engine with a 4-speed transmission is also not the most rev-happy one, neither is its gearing so great for a road trip, it's also not so specialized for city traffic as the engine of the Navi with its CVT and AFAIK a quite strict speed limiter which even prevents it from reaching 60 MPH.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #423 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Today I saw a Royal Enfield Meteor. Honestly I didn't like its new BS-6 compliant SOHC engine so much as the BS-4 OHV one, but its appearance is quite upscale enough to remind me of some fancier motorcycles. Considering it has the same engine now fitted to the Royal Enfield Classic, which used to be seen as a workhorse to the same extent the Honda CG is seen in my country, and the CG had also switched to old-school OHV to SOHC between 2004 and 2009, it's still quite interesting, plus the Meteor seems to be well suited to both a more recreational-oriented rider and someone effectively willing to commute by motorcycle.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:56 AM   #424 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Just announced for the US market

2022 Honda Navi 110 for $2007 including destination

about as basic as you can get complete with manual drum brakes front and back.
I saw that just a bit ago on the honda powersports website, hadn't seen any announcements for it. I saw the hideous chunk in the middle and figured it was electric. Then I saw that it had an engine, why would you hide the engine in that? And then I looked at the swingarm, yep there it is. Its a storage cubby! I wonder how it compares to the grom in cornering clearance.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 11-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #425 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
I saw that just a bit ago on the honda powersports website, hadn't seen any announcements for it. I saw the hideous chunk in the middle and figured it was electric. Then I saw that it had an engine, why would you hide the engine in that? And then I looked at the swingarm, yep there it is. Its a storage cubby! I wonder how it compares to the grom in cornering clearance.
The Navi has been all over the motorcycle press the last week. Motorcycle.com has a first ride review.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:21 PM   #426 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

There was a Lambretta-based model in Brazil, conceptually similar to the Navi, yet I have never seen it (only old pictures).
Old 11-29-2021, 11:54 PM   #427 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Old 12-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #428 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm really fighting not going down and putting a deposit down on a Navi. What I really want is a TW200 or a Trail 125 but are they worth twice as much? It seems like even if I didn't like the Navi, as long as I don't pay more than MSRP and shipping plus say $200 for prep and paperwork I could sell it after a year and not lose more than a hundred or 2. Then again seeing no Trail 125s in inventory or a 10 year old TW200 for $4000 still makes me think I wouldn't lose much on those bikes either.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #429 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I'm really fighting not going down and putting a deposit down on a Navi. What I really want is a TW200 or a Trail 125 but are they worth twice as much? It seems like even if I didn't like the Navi, as long as I don't pay more than MSRP and shipping plus say $200 for prep and paperwork I could sell it after a year and not lose more than a hundred or 2. Then again seeing no Trail 125s in inventory or a 10 year old TW200 for $4000 still makes me think I wouldn't lose much on those bikes either.
That really depends on the riding you are going to do.

The Navi's top speed is 50 mph which means you are really limited to roads that are 45 mph or less if you want to be able to maintain the speed limit on a slight hill. The Trail 125 in only good for another 5 mph. The TW200 tops out at 70 mph so that means a real speed in the 60 - 65 mph range.

Then there is suspension and wheel size. The Navi has a 10 inch wheel and 2.8 inches of suspension travel. Any use offroad is going to be ROUGH. Even bumpy paved roads are going to be punishing. My MP3 has 12 inch wheels in the front and you feel every bump and pothole.

Strictly urban riding on road with 45 mph limits and less? The Navi could be a lot of fun. For me my primary riding route to work is 55 mph and uphill so both the Navi and Trail 125 are a no-go for me.

Personally I think the KTM Duke 200 is the best deal in motorcycling at the moment.

If I was looking for a small dual-sport it would be a CRF300L or VanVan 200.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #430 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
That really depends on the riding you are going to do.

The Navi's top speed is 50 mph which means you are really limited to roads that are 45 mph or less if you want to be able to maintain the speed limit on a slight hill. The Trail 125 in only good for another 5 mph. The TW200 tops out at 70 mph so that means a real speed in the 60 - 65 mph range.

Then there is suspension and wheel size. The Navi has a 10 inch wheel and 2.8 inches of suspension travel. Any use offroad is going to be ROUGH. Even bumpy paved roads are going to be punishing. My MP3 has 12 inch wheels in the front and you feel every bump and pothole.

Strictly urban riding on road with 45 mph limits and less? The Navi could be a lot of fun. For me my primary riding route to work is 55 mph and uphill so both the Navi and Trail 125 are a no-go for me.

Personally I think the KTM Duke 200 is the best deal in motorcycling at the moment.

If I was looking for a small dual-sport it would be a CRF300L or VanVan 200.
I appreciate your input. I wouldn't buy a KTM, or any BRP, or Harley, or pretty much whatever besides Honda or Yamaha, maybe Suzuki. That goes motorcycle, UTV, atv, watercraft, outboard, etc. I've experienced how good Honda and Yamaha have been and how bad some of the others and I'm not alone.

The KTM is also not the kind of bike I'm interested in at all. The Suzuki 200 is nice but not significantly less than a TW200 which is just better IMO. The crf300 is even more and higher and heavier and just seems like more work than leisure. I don't want thrilling jumps or high speed blasts, just quite putt, putt down a forest service road.

So I am concerned at how a Navi would handle gravel, potholes, and washboard, but would be at speeds under 25 mph. I know the Trail is fine, at least my 1963 version with just a 55cc is, but I'd think the Navi would be at least that good, the new trail 125 outstanding for what I want. The other use (besides just local forest service roads) would be putting it on the tounge of the teardrop and riding it around places like Yellowstone park or Glacier when traveling.
Occasionally I might commute to work but I have a good Ebike for that and the bike path is actually a shorter distance than the road anyway which is hardly 3 miles. The basic Grom is probably a safe bet too with a few modifications, but again the Navi just seems relaxing not to mention that price. I could get 2 for almost the same price. Maybe my 16yo daughter would show some interest in riding. I've always also considered a Ruckus but that seems a little overpriced for what it is, I'm surprised the Navi isn't at least that much and I'm afraid it will be in a few years if it's any good at all.

Reply  Post New Thread