Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #211 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
So in your mind zoning laws don’t apply? He has had 300 days to fix this issue
I’ve only ever seen zoning used to punish existing property owners, never seen it used to do anything useful save on NEW developments.

Where I live a friend of mine owned a 40 zoned farm, he got permits to build a house to the front of the property and before he could start he got a cease and desist because the county changed his lot to commercial. He got boxed in and would have to buy land many miles away from his farm.

According to our state Zoning isn’t law as it’s subjective, it falls under an ordinance.

People who actually live there view this as foolishness,
he requested a variance when it was found after the fact he was a foot over,
the county refused and is wasting money on court and legal Mumbo jumbo.

What the county is doing is criminal and similar to a bully throwing his weight around .

More importantly they are wasting everyone’s money on something insignificant and not even worth correcting .

Last edited by rmay635703; 03-27-2020 at 02:39 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (04-11-2020), Xist (03-27-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #212 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post

People who actually live there view this as foolishness,
he requested a variance when it was found after the fact he was a foot over,
the county refused and is wasting money on court and legal Mumbo jumbo.

What the county is doing is criminal and similar to a bully throwing his weight around .

More importantly they are wasting everyone’s money on something insignificant and not even worth correcting .
He built his "shed" on county property. It really is that simple.

Last edited by JSH; 03-27-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Old 03-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #213 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

When our first house was being built the neighbor keep saying the driveway was on his property. The builder kept saying the neighbor didn't know what he was talking about. We told the builder he had to resolve the dispute with the neighbor before we would take possession. He did another survey and my oh my the neighbor was right. In the end the builder ended up cutting the corner off the driveway back to the required setback.

Most people would not just let it go if their neighbor built on their property. Odd that some think the county should just turn a blind eye to the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	House in TN.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	27776  
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #214 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
My folk always got a second opinion when they needed to hire a surveyor.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #215 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Where I live a friend of mine owned a 40 zoned farm, he got permits to build a house to the front of the property and before he could start he got a cease and desist because the county changed his lot to commercial. He got boxed in and would have to buy land many miles away from his farm.
Makes me wonder if he could circumvent it by building a shed or parking a tiny house on wheels there. Or if he could build something like an apartment inside a barn.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #216 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
My folk always got a second opinion when they needed to hire a surveyor.
That is a good policy.

It is also a good idea to leave a little more clearance than the bare minimum to allow for a margin of error. That way you don’t have to tear down your shed because it is 1 foot too close to the road. Of course he could also just move a wall a foot. An expensive lesson but better than demoing the whole thing or spending 300 nights in jail.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 PM   #217 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I spent eleven and a half hours yesterday trying to connect my newer laptop, my older laptop, the laptop the school issued me, and my phone with Zoom, the program that I am supposed to use for school teletherapy, and I am allowed to use for home health.

The Internet isn't as fast as I really need at home, I could not connect with the work laptop at all, and I kept having feedback loops.

I finally went into school more out of troubleshooting than anything else. The work laptop is newer than anything that I own, but I think that my three-year-old $300 laptop and my five-year-old phone are both faster. However, Zoom worked fine on the work laptop at school, but I kept having feedback, even when I had my phone over twenty feet away!

I am supposed to work in the resource room, but the teacher was already there, and she must have been working with kindergartners, because she was demonstrating an exhausting amount of enthusiasm and energy.

She was also far too loud for me to try to hold a session in the same room and she did not need me causing feedback loops!

I went to her old room, which was supposed to be used by the high school for something, but that wasn't happening.

I tried to find a solution on-line for the feedback, but the very first page that I tried to read, on Zoom's website, was blocked, so I used my personal laptop.

Everything said to not have two people in the same conversation in the same room, but over twenty feet away wasn't far enough?!

Everything just said to not have two people in the same conversation in the same room. I had them over twenty feet apart! That wasn't adequate?! I eventually found out that headsets drastically reduce feedback loops.

I finally did a session with one student from the backyard. The Internet was a bit too slow, but there is no way that I could have done therapy at the kitchen table, with Mom, Hallmark, my brother, and his provider.

Since I was in the sun I couldn't see my screen.

My supervisor wants me to work from school, but I would rather keep our germs home, and avoid other peoples'. I couldn't find any outdoor ethernet cables so I just bought an indoor one for now and will order an outdoor one.

It sounds like the proper technique for running ethernet is anchoring it to trim and putting it in conduit for the run between the house and the shed. I read that a 6" trench is adequate, and 6" from the electrical wire, but I need to keep reading.

I saw three clients this afternoon. Usually that involves two hours of driving. Using Zoom wasn't the same and I wish that I could see them in-person, but I saved two hours of driving!
Old 04-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #218 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Putting cat cable in conduit is for mechanical protection only. Good cable has a shield that gets grounded at one end only, preferably to a proper separate earth ground. Stuff should be buried at least 18" wth hazard tape over it before covering. I doubt you are making enough noise on your power cable to bother the internet.

If your connection is slow, somebody close by is downloading movies or live steaming.

Use zoom and sell your soul to google.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #219 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Use zoom and sell your soul to google.
If you post on Ecomodder it's already been sold. Those eight thumbnails below the last post show that.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:46 PM   #220 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How do I turn Mom's shed into an impenetrable bunker? Asking for a friend!

Wait, you guys see ads? I know that is how the site supports itself, but they are so annoying!

California has time on its hands, so it is suing Zoom for selling personal information to Facebook, whether or not they have an account.
Hackers are using Zoom to expose themselves to people, but you are supposed to be able to prevent that.

Cat cable is supposed to have hazard tape, but not electrical cable?

Direct-bury cat cable is supposed to be waterproof, it is filled with slime to prevent water from getting in, but people recommend conduit so that nothing tries to eat it.

Does streaming use more bandwidth than video conferencing?