Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #1991 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
As I understand it,even the Hughes Electronics inductive charging technology of 1987 was near-100% efficient.

Quote:
Hughes Electronics developed the Magne Charge interface for General Motors. The General Motors EV1 electric car was charged by inserting an inductive charging paddle into a receptacle on the vehicle. General Motors and Toyota agreed on this interface and it was also used in the Chevrolet S-10 EV and Toyota RAV4 EV vehicles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-08-2018), NeilBlanchard (06-11-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #1992 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,372 Times in 3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
...State boards of education might have included the health information in their curriculum as a favor to taxpayers who fund public education.

...Since there's no conversation about climate change and it's ramifications,why would citizens have it on their minds? Why would they do anything when Dancing with the Stars or the Royal Wedding is more important?

...Climate change is considered an existential threat.There's nothing more important than an existential threat.We are free to believe whatever we want.So far.

...Our freedom is contextual.It's conditional.You don't trespass on your neighbor and expect forgiveness.You don't use your neighbors atmosphere for a sewer.
'Your freedom ends where mine begins' kind of a concept.(don't tread on me)
The problem isn't so much one of education, it's of interest. Knowing something is meaningless unless we're motivated to do something about that knowledge. As you point out, people want to watch mindless stuff to occupy their bored and underutilized minds.

Climate change is not an existential threat. Show me someone with compelling data to suggest it is and I'll be open to the idea. I've not heard anyone but environmental extremists suggest humanity is seriously threatened by GW.

I agree that freedom is conditional, which is why I'm not a Libertarian. Their attitude often is something along the lines of "what do you care if I pee on my end of the pool".

The thing is, when everyone is peeing, it takes a united effort (global) to have a meaningful impact in a just way to every person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
From your link:

Disadvantages
Slower charging – Due to the lower efficiency, devices take longer to charge when supplied power is the same amount.
More expensive – Inductive charging also requires drive electronics and coils in both device and charger, increasing the complexity and cost of manufacturing.
Inefficiency – Inductive charging is not as efficient as direct charging. In one application, the phone being charged gets hot. Continued exposure to heat can result in battery damage...the Magne Charge vehicle recharger system employs high-frequency induction to deliver high power at an efficiency of 86% (6.6 kW power delivery from a 7.68 kW power draw).

There is no way inductive charging was nearly 100% efficient, unless we consider something like 75% to be "nearly". The systems built into the road are even less efficient than this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-08-2018), slowmover (06-18-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #1993 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
At Permalink #1977 I posted about Software Defined Electricity. The story was reported on Slashdot with a link to this discussion on EEVblog: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-...l-electricity/. cdoerfler is apparently a principal in 3DFS and was quoted in the Vox article.

Quote:
Here I am to engage you in a dialogue about this technology and this is what I get. I thought there were "experts" on this forum. I thought there were knowledgeable people who could contribute to the conversation and might even learn a thing or two.

Instead, this...

Good job guys!
Same as it ever was.

I love the smell of irony in the morning -- Elon Musk

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #1994 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,199 Times in 4,637 Posts
interest,compelling data,attitude,..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The problem isn't so much one of education, it's of interest. Knowing something is meaningless unless we're motivated to do something about that knowledge. As you point out, people want to watch mindless stuff to occupy their bored and underutilized minds.

Climate change is not an existential threat. Show me someone with compelling data to suggest it is and I'll be open to the idea. I've not heard anyone but environmental extremists suggest humanity is seriously threatened by GW.

I agree that freedom is conditional, which is why I'm not a Libertarian. Their attitude often is something along the lines of "what do you care if I pee on my end of the pool".

The thing is, when everyone is peeing, it takes a united effort (global) to have a meaningful impact in a just way to every person.

From your link:

Disadvantages
Slower charging – Due to the lower efficiency, devices take longer to charge when supplied power is the same amount.
More expensive – Inductive charging also requires drive electronics and coils in both device and charger, increasing the complexity and cost of manufacturing.
Inefficiency – Inductive charging is not as efficient as direct charging. In one application, the phone being charged gets hot. Continued exposure to heat can result in battery damage...the Magne Charge vehicle recharger system employs high-frequency induction to deliver high power at an efficiency of 86% (6.6 kW power delivery from a 7.68 kW power draw).

There is no way inductive charging was nearly 100% efficient, unless we consider something like 75% to be "nearly". The systems built into the road are even less efficient than this.
It might have been Jerry Seinfeld who made fun of Tabloids at the supermarket checkout line,with headlines like 'Child Who Cries Rocks!',or,'Woman Gives Birth To Her Own Mother!'
I had an uncle who was fond of saying that 'Dog Bites Man!' isn't news,but 'Man Bites Dog!' is.
Lomberg cited a textbook for journalists which emphasized using a shock and awe sort of drama when constructing story lines for publication/broadcast.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I keep my radar on for anything to do about the climate mentioned in the media.And,other than tangential comments made on AccuWeather,and the PBS NewsHour/NOVA,It looks like an abyss out there.
If climate change isn't news it has no importance.If it was important,all the networks would be covering it.
If it's not important,we don't pay attention to it,and are unaware of developments.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have access to Science or Nature,you can read the articles/papers/etc.. right from the climatologists' mouths.
They're observing changes which are exceeding the best model predictions for some of the parameters which are kinda the canaries in the coal mine of change.
Latent heat of fusion is a compelling mechanism with respect to ice and snow.
The Btu's it takes to melt 1-lb of 32F ice,into 32F water,once the ice is melted,will go on to raise the temp of that 32F water to 176F.
And without the 85% reflective index(albedo) of the ice/snow,we now have dark water which absorbs 93% of the incoming solar radiation,exacerbating and amplifying the warming.Evaporation,atmospheric rivers,Salinity,density,stratification,light penetration.................the list goes on and on........... reflects these self-reinforcing feedback loops that are scaring the ....out of some observers.
Dissolved Methane,frozen Methane which are more potent GHGs increase the warming.70-billion metric tonnes of Methane release potential.
Warm water intrusion is attacking continental glaciers from below the water line,Greenland and Antarctica.Earthquakes from continental rebound as weight of ice sheets diminish.
Without ice shelves buttressing the continental ice sheets,they accelerate calving events,with ice bergs which raise sea level.
The polar jet is being deformed by warmer air infiltrating the poles,which upsets the jet stream which is experiencing excursions below the equator at times.Meridonal transits can lock geographic locations into a high pressure areas for weeks at a time with no relief from heat events.Thawing permafrost.
Extreme weather events are becoming less rare.
It just goes on and on.
Heat deaths.Drought.Crop failures.Seawater infiltration into freshwater.Grounded airline flights do to density altitude go-no-go situations.Flooding,more powerful storms.Forest kills as insects migrate north.Wildfires as dead forests provide fuel for lightning strikes.Then mudslides after severe rain events hit the wildfire locations.Tropical diseases are moving north.Hurricane/cyclone/typhoon intensification.
We know from climate proxies,that in the past,Earth has undergone 'abrupt' climate change in as little as a decade.
We can't genetically engineer plants to deal with something like that.Species of flora which cannot move north face extinction.Photosynthesis ceases at 104F.Leaves wilt,pollination stops,solar capture is reduced,stomata,which otherwise absorb CO2 for growth close down.
Phytoplankton which provide our breathing oxygen are negatively impacted by warming ocean temperature.Ocean acidification (lobster,starfish,zooplankton,shrimp,coral die off).Algal blooms,red tides,dead zones,beach closings,coastal nuclear powerplant shutdowns (cooling failures),nuclear-powered military vessel shutdowns (cooling failures).Heat indexes as high as 176-degrees F in the Middle East.
It goes on and on.And its the speed at which its happening that's alarming observers.
Last week we had 109-degree F heat index here.
It's an interesting movie to watch!

Old 06-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #1995 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,520 Times in 2,794 Posts
If you had 2 laminated iron cores in contact with each other only then can you begin to approach 100% efficiency.
I didn't even know air coupled inductors could reach 86%.
My J1772 is around 99% efficient.

There's nothing wrong with j1772 or CHAdeMO.
J1772 is simple and it works.

The stupid EV1 paddle charger combines the most of the cost and complexity of CHAdeMO with the limited power of J1722.
I can buy a 3.8kw J1722 for under $200, sometimes you can find a first gen leaf 120v J1722 brick for a little less than that and 6.6kw J1722 setups range from $400 to $1000.
I doubt that paddle charger thing could have been built and sold for much less than $1000.
It's like they really worked hard to develope the most complicated answer possible for a very simple problem when they came up with the padel.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 06-08-2018 at 05:18 PM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-08-2018), redpoint5 (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #1996 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

charge efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
If you had 2 laminated iron cores in contact with each other only then can you begin to approach 100% efficiency.
I didn't even know air coupled inductors could reach 86%.
My J1772 is around 99% efficient.

There's nothing wrong with j1772 or CHAdeMO.
J1772 is simple and it works.

The stupid EV1 paddle charger combines the most of the cost and complexity of CHAdeMO with the limited power of J1722.
I can buy a 3.8kw J1722 for under $200, sometimes you can find a first gen leaf 120v J1722 brick for a little less than that and 6.6kw J1722 setups range from $400 to $1000.
I doubt that paddle charger thing could have been been built and sold for much less than $1000.
It's like they really worked hard to develope the most complicated answer possible for a very simple problem when they came up with the padel.
Before I accuse GM of embellishing on performance,I'll try and track down the article my feeble mind is attempting to recall.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #1997 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

killdozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Is he a repo man for defaults on home mortgages? He just comes and takes away the house?

Old 06-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #1998 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
No. Never heard that story? It's retold at the link.

Quote:
interest,compelling data,attitude,..................
An alarming compendium. But no mention of the electrical effects on weather, earthquakes and health and cognition*.

Yesterday, Suspicious 0bservers was complaining that the USGS called that latest volcano in Hawaii an earthquake (that sent a plume 12,000ft in the air. ). Today they let go of their explanation of an 'exploding gas pocket and admitted it's another volcano'. They're getting bigger.

edit:
* No sooner do I post 'health and cognition, and i find this from S0:

I love the smell of irony in the morning -- Elon Musk

Last edited by freebeard; 06-08-2018 at 11:47 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #1999 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Efficiency of road embedded inductive charging systems isn't even the big issue that precludes it's consideration. The hardware is massively material intensive. building out massive coils into every highway at a capacity to keep big trucks nominally charged is another fantasy concept that can't happen.
Even fixed inductive charge stations for autonomous cabs and busses are of limited value because the charge rates are limited to whatever massive, heavy, and expensive, size of a coil that you feel like dragging around in the car. Electric busses will be much better to have the operator just step out to plug in for a few minuted while people get on and off. And if you want a a high tech solution for charging an roving autonomous fleet, I would recommend developing a standardized contact plate system that would reach up and touch the matching plates on the underside of the vehicle after sliding covers are retracted.
In large cities where travel areas are dense it will be a long time before even this makes more sense than just having human attendants running up and down at large charging lots, plugging and unplugging vehicles to keep them charged.
Overnight inducutive charging systems in a home garage for people that are too lazy to plug in might find a few takers. But thinking that we are going to run heavy transport on inductive highways is , again, impossible.

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #2000 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Electricity Map .org has added a new feature whereby it is posting a running graph of CO2 emissions for each country or grid area. They state that their values are calculated to include their best estimate of lifetime CO2 emissions including manufacture, install, operation, and refurbishing/ decommissioning of each generation method.
Gemany vs. France

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2018)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam