Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2019, 12:07 AM   #5571 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
It's funny you mention a flipping of values within political parties. A somewhat popularly held belief is that there was a big switch between the Republican party of emancipation, and the slave owning Democratic party. Dinesh has a spiel about this topic which is entertaining if not containing bits of truth worth exploring further. I'm not a fan of his motivation to condemn the opposing party and exonerate his own, but he's an interesting guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
But in the US both parties are on the right side, one more so than the other; so IDK. I'd probably side with the Democrats more than the Republicans. I was glad Trump won though, but looking back I'm not sure about it anymore. Would Hillary have done a better job then? So glad it's not my problem.
I dunno if I would say both parties are on the right side, but they are both indistinguishable as far as growing government, reducing liberty, and expanding executive power. In that respect, I have little hope of seeing someone in office I respect; and if that person would be in office, they would have very little ability to change government because they would limit the authority of their position.

I've got mixed feelings about Trump. I figured he stood no chance of being the primary nominee, but an even smaller chance of the presidency. I'm delighted that we're open to electing non-politicians to the top office, because as I am always saying, career politician shouldn't be an occupation but a term of service, as it was intended.

We had just about the worst candidates to choose from, and that choice seems to have boiled down to whether we wanted a crass but real person, or the empty shell of a person that is supported only by political scaffolding. The people chose despicable person over a hollow apparition.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-09-2019, 02:56 AM   #5572 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
What can I say. I was born in a family of teachers, both my grandparents were teachers and my wife was a teacher. There was (and is) absolutely no communist tendencies among any of them, just the will to help and educate children.
As for influencing, they all want the children to be able to make their own decisions, to be inquisitive and learning.

If you have 2 parties, like you do, it can't be that one holds the truth and the other one is completely wrong. The truth must lie somewhere in the middle. If you side with one of them you must accept being off balance

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 03:06 AM   #5573 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
There was (and is) absolutely no communist tendencies among any of them, just the will to help and educate children.
This is in Nieuwegein, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
The people chose despicable person over a hollow apparition.
I knew he would win as soon as I saw the Democratic opponent name-check Pepe the frog from the podium. Shadilay, remember?

For some reason, this morning Suspicious 0bservers pointed back to the February 2019 video on Fatal Flaw In Climate Change Science, with emphasis on the anti-pollution aspect.

Temperature is only one threat to our comfort and safety.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-13-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 03:45 AM   #5574 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
As if there's an ocean in between.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #5575 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
As if... No You? Ironical or not?

Let's acknowledge the countervailing force to the Marxist subversion: the hippys. Stewart Brand takes seven minutes to get from the Trips Festival in January 1966 to the invention of the personal computer.

The pivot point was the picture of the whole Earth taken by Apollo 17. The Homebrew Computer Club is where Gates vs Wosniak and Jobs first bounced off each other.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #5576 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Continued debunking of anti-climate science:

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-13-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #5577 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
MWh/400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Anything that doesn't move much can have a cord. Cross country trains can have electrified rails.
Earth movers carrying loads up out of a pit, or the giant farm tractors that are now required to grow enough food for 8 billion people, run at 40% thermal efficiency so unlike a car, there is only slightly better than 2:1 efficiency to be gained. And are not convenient to run on a cord. You will need a MWh battery to take the place of each 400 Liters of fuel.
Yeah,that looks good!
I came up with 1.693-MWh as an electrical equivalent for the diesel,and since half the mileage is 'downhill',with a regenerative fudge-factor,1-MWh is real reasonable.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #5578 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

FIAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
It is meant as an incentive to make it worthwhile to make cars more fuel efficient, and to stimulate the production of emission free vehicles. FIAT can save hundreds of millions by adding EVs to its lineup. Maybe they will now.
The September,2018,Motor Trend magazine reported,page 17,that FIAT's focus will be a switch to hybrid and BEV powertrains for the 500 family and Panda.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #5579 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Much of the equipment could be made more efficient if there was incentive due to the cost of batteries. For instance, hydraulic pumps run continuously in heavy equipment even if it isn't moving anything. Electrify those pumps and then the speed of the pumps can vary from off, to full speed depending on the demand.

Heavy machinery often has fuel capacity to run for days between refueling. If it's being charged nightly (or better yet, fast swap battery packs), it doesn't need to have days worth of capacity. Instead the battery can be sized to go 1 day, or perhaps as small as whatever is necessary to deliver peak power if packs can be swapped quickly.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #5580 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

electrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Much of the equipment could be made more efficient if there was incentive due to the cost of batteries. For instance, hydraulic pumps run continuously in heavy equipment even if it isn't moving anything. Electrify those pumps and then the speed of the pumps can vary from off, to full speed depending on the demand.

Heavy machinery often has fuel capacity to run for days between refueling. If it's being charged nightly (or better yet, fast swap battery packs), it doesn't need to have days worth of capacity. Instead the battery can be sized to go 1 day, or perhaps as small as whatever is necessary to deliver peak power if packs can be swapped quickly.
Yes!
When I looked at the patent language for the JP Morgan-Chase-Siemens-Caterpillar open pit drag-line shovel,this 'electrifying' theme seemed to leap off the page.
It sounded like the electric motors,directly operating all the cable drum drives,and skipping the pump-to-hydraulic motor,made a jump in efficiency.Kinda like we see on contemporary automobiles,where power steering and belt-driven accessories have been electrified in the name of better fuel efficiency.
And any equipment articulation,which involves gravity-induced,kinetic energy is a candidate for regenerative energy recycling,something impossible/improbable with hydraulics?
AeroStealth had to take his Kabota tractor in for some service work,and while he was there,noticed that some trencher/excavator equipment offered for sale was electric.First he'd seen.
It looks like the opening salvo has been fired in that market.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam