Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #781 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,258 Times in 4,678 Posts
# 748 ( permalink)? there is no 7448

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Everything I have available comes over a twisted pair copper wire.

Interestingly, the part you edited out of post #7448 is that which you seek. Plain truth, but you must understand that it is a mix of breadcrumbs to bake, Op Int jargon and intentional misdirect that requires a close reading.

The preferred high-data-rate delivery mechanism is a combination of picture and text. Example:

knowyourmeme.com/page/3
'Plain truth' isn't something that falls within the domain of science.
A topic must be able to be operationally defined.
It must be capable of being mathematicalized.
Example:
1) If Oilpan4 says there was some percent chance that a mega solar flare would cause many trillions of dollars in damage to Earth by 2020, we'd need to be clear that it was a 'flare' that was going to do the damage.
2) Some model would have to exist, such that the coordinates of the flare, entered into this model, and after the program ran, created output coordinates which placed the 'flare' on a collision course with Earth's orbit in 2020.
3) And it would be of such amplitude that, it would transform life as we know it, to the tune of trillions of dollars in losses ( the entire global economy ).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) From my reading, no solar flare has ever left the Sun.
5) That poses an extreme challenge to the veracity of Oilpan 4's argument.
6) A predictive model for an Earth collision with a solar flare would, on the face of it, be as asinine as could be imagined.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7) A CME would be a different kettle of fish!
8) WIRE doesn't mention one.
9) Oilpan4 doesn't mention one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 ) Over the last year, the times I looked into any space weather claims by Oilpan4 , I found no basis in fact for any of them.
If I go to NASA, and query space storms, like a Carrington Event, they say that as long as we have replacement transformers on hand, it would only be a minor inconvenience for most.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2020 came and went, and the end of the world never registered.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #782 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,695 Times in 7,167 Posts
Quote:
4) From my reading, no solar flare has ever left the Sun.
That source you disparage, today, showed a Solar filament that lifted up, shed some mass, and then collapsed back to the surface triggering a 'Solar tsunami' in opposite directions across the surface. You can see tit right there in the satellite's observation.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #783 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,258 Times in 4,678 Posts
mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That source you disparage, today, showed a Solar filament that lifted up, shed some mass, and then collapsed back to the surface triggering a 'Solar tsunami' in opposite directions across the surface. You can see tit right there in the satellite's observation.
1) Mass could be an issue if it's ejected into interplanetary space. If not, it's just something great to watch through a hydrogen-alpha filter.
2) A 'solar tsunami' would mean nothing to us. As an Earth tsunami has no impact on the Sun, Moon, or anything else. Heck, they don't even affect most of Earth.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:42 PM   #784 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
A 'solar tsunami' would mean nothing to us.
It's illustrative of the forces involved. Maybe a scale Earth in the picture would give an indication of it's size.

aerohead (04-11-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #785 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Youtube flagged this as a climate change story. I think it's an environmental pollution story, but whatevs. [skip to ?t=349]

edit: I listened to the second half again -- modest amounts of added heat allow upcycling PET and PLA. I'm reminded that when I was reading about nano-scale technology it was pointed out that organics and metals have grain structure, so the nano-scale is the domain of glasses and plastics.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-08-2022 at 02:24 PM..
aerohead (04-11-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 03:24 PM   #786 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Reflecting on this comment a while longer caused me to consider that Big Govt has a responsibility to provide an environment in which 'We The People' are safe and secure in which to practice the pursuit of happiness.
What might appear to some as consolidation of power on the part of government, could simply be explained by a group of people with an extraordinary intelligence network, experts, with highly specialized knowledge, and operatives already funded to perform public service, performing public service according to their mandate.
And, as, no individual's rights may trespass on those of another, there needs to be a grownup around, who can discern the trespass, and step in to protect the innocent.
The 'right' of an American to vector a deadly virus to a neighbor is not recognized by the US Constitution or Bill of Rights.
No American has the Constitutional 'right' to use the atmosphere for a sewer. Or cook a planet.
Some Americans are functionally literate.
Some Americans are functionally numerate.
These are the folks who protect the powerless from the trespass of the more powerful.
I just personally experienced a taste of the Green New Deal'. It's the most profitable investment a capitalist nation could possibly make.
It kills a number of birds with the same stone.
In all metrics, it constitutes money for nothing.
Anyone of Libertarian stripe must admit that, the GND satisfies all conditions for John Galt's, Galt's Gulch, and it's immunity from energy supply or price volatility, and total reliance on renewable energy from atmospheric sources.
Check your premises!
No infringement on rights for false promise of safety.
Rights do not come from pieces of paper or government.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #787 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
Quote:
1) They show a flare.
2) Like I said, flares fall back into the Sun.
3) WIRE mentions 'mass' as in 'Coronal Mass Ejection', but because they're a 'journalist' and not a 'scientist' they don't even realize they've performed a nomenclature malfunction when they did it.
4) oil pan4 didn't pick up on it either, implying that he doesn't comprehend it as well, which gives me no confidence that he understands the subject matter. Which appears to be a long-honored tradition with him.
5) The time window ( shelf-life ) for the event has come and gone, and correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing ever happened to Earth.
6) I was supposed to run around with my hair on fire, expecting to be incinerated by a CME, which never appeared.
7) Not a penny was lost.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8) If a portion of a flare detaches, creating a CME, we have a highly- electrically-conductive plasma of electrons and atomic nuclei released into the steller magnetic field, which is itself variable in intensity, and variable in orientation, due to Coriolis effect and Parker Spirals, along with a 25-day period for solar rotation.
9) Oilpan 4 needs to share the science which demonstrates 'anyone's' ability to predict if the earth would intercept the path of a randomly-rotating-and-spiraling CME, otherwise, it smells of intellectual dishonesty on his part. Or just ignorance. No way to know.
I never said there was a CME and the wire is garbage. An example of English majors trying to write about science and technology. If you read the wire, well that explains a lot.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:33 PM   #788 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
Quote:

2) A 'solar tsunami' would mean nothing to us. As an Earth tsunami has no impact on the Sun, Moon, or anything else. Heck, they don't even affect most of Earth.
The biggest thing it does is remind us that the standard model is wrong.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #789 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Youse guyz are so confusing.

3) WIRE mentions...

...and the wire is garbage

Quote:
Search domain en.wikipedia.orghttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Wired_(magazine)
Wired (stylized as WIRED) is a monthly American magazine, published in print and online editions, that focuses on how emerging technologies affect culture, the economy, and politics.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:01 PM   #790 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion power isn't here (and may never be). But the technology developed might make geothermal viable.

www.quaise.energy/ (Their site is a good example of parallax HTML)

For comparison, one of my favorite things: The Eden Project (Deep Geothermal at EDEN PROJECT | FULLY CHARGED) is going down only 4 kilometers.

State of the art before Quaise: Geothermal Energy Explained - A Not So Hot Solution?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
climate change, cringe, lies, scam