Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #891 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Unless Elio gets big bucks from the GOVT, it ain't gonna happen, and even if he gets funds from any source it will not sell for $6800. You're talking about a manufacturing capability, dealer franchises, and franchised repair facilities. Figure a billion $ to get it going and support the system until profits from sales provide cash flow.

They were supposed to start selling in 2014 and it seems like they have not even finalized the components, much less a functional assembly line. It would probably take a half million sales to break even and that would require a profit per unit of $2k to pay the billion.

regards
mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #892 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Unless Elio gets big bucks from the GOVT, it ain't gonna happen, and even if he gets funds from any source it will not sell for $6800.
It would be nice, from a public policy perspective, to see that happen. We spend government money on profitable companies that build gas guzzlers to finance their efforts at fuel efficiency. We spend government money on the drillers, refiners and transporters of the oil. But we can't toss some money at a company that wants to focus on efficient vehicles. Because it might make a profit. Which is what the companies we're already throwing money at... are already doing without our tax money.

Elio is being crucified because he isn't likely to hit a $6800 out the door price for his new car, but Washington will give you up to $7500 in tax credits if you buy a Volt and you can get into the HOV lanes driving solo. But nobody wants to throw money at a car meant for solo commuting that'll get better mileage than a Volt. Why? Because public policy here isn't about encouraging efficiency, it's about funneling public money to established companies.

Annnoying, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #893 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
What is annoying is going to your govt rep and listening to the " it's not govts job to subsidize new technology" (mine) when they fund Tesla and others (at least not tesla) who just toss the money in their pockets and then go bankrupt.

What I could do with about $50k right now, instead of trying to do it myself, with limited funds and a worn out old body.

regards
mech
Old 02-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #894 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
If the market won't throw money at you, obviously your idea sucks. Now get out of the way, we've got to pay Lockheed to develop stuff to sell to us.

Quote:

Old 02-19-2015, 06:39 AM   #895 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Elio is being crucified because he isn't likely to hit a $6800 out the door price for his new car, but Washington will give you up to $7500 in tax credits if you buy a Volt and you can get into the HOV lanes driving solo. But nobody wants to throw money at a car meant for solo commuting that'll get better mileage than a Volt. Why? Because public policy here isn't about encouraging efficiency, it's about funneling public money to established companies.

Annnoying, isn't it?
And it's not just about the fuel-efficiency, but also the lower overall footprint from the manufacturing process thru the entire useful lifetime of the vehicle. We know the Big Three could also do something similar to the Elio, or even if they wouldn't go so far they have all the technical resources needed to improve the average fuel-efficiency in their vehicles, but it's too comfortable for them to just blow taxpayers' money while they sell gas-guzzling trucks and full-size SUVs for the "urban cowboys" and soccer-moms because of less stringent emissions requirements for "light trucks".
Old 02-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #896 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I want my Diesel CNG minivan. The Elio is going to be obsolete shortly as electric motorcycles are streamlined and carry two people.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #897 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
Obsolete, or a segment leader? There's a lot of motorcycle, but there's also a lot of car- and the markets are quite separate. Honda does well in both markets, but haven't moved to bring them together- and they'd be a lot more successful at it than say, Kawasaki trying to get car buyers into their own stores.

Quote:

Old 02-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #898 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
The Elio is going to be obsolete shortly as electric motorcycles are streamlined and carry two people.
I don't know about the weather where you are, but it's -6 here today! I would much rather find myself in an Elio than on a motorcycle on a day like this and I seriously doubt I could get a second person to join me on that two wheeled ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to OBD1Kenobi For This Useful Post:
Xusn96 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:49 AM   #899 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBD1Kenobi View Post
I don't know about the weather where you are, but it's -6 here today! I would much rather find myself in an Elio than on a motorcycle on a day like this and I seriously doubt I could get a second person to join me on that two wheeled ride.
Lovely global warming we have been having lately huh.
Same thing happened about 13 months ago, I was driving through Tennessee and the high was 11'F that day.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #900 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Suzuki and Honda have been successful with cars and motorcycles. An electric anything is a tough sell in -0 F. The full body faired motorcycles with liquid cooled engines would have the possibility of a heater core.

I parked my van next to a Scion iQ. Side by side seating is a major selling point for car riders. Riding on a motorcycle two up is cozy.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam