Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
...beats walking...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,191
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Testimonial evidence from customers isn't worth squat.
...I make a recommendation that this sentence become the ecomodders' "by-line" and be displayed in parentheses under the "green-E" banner.

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
mcrews (11-20-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gentlemen, does the data count for nothing as well?

Please take a look at the YouTube vids and see the data presenting itself on good test equipment. There are about a dozen vids there showing the changes in the emissions.

Come on, now.... Start with this one. It showed the most dramatic improvement of all I have modified: (YouTube link removed by admin)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since that one doesn't have the machine itself showing due to glare issues, here's another two that do:

(YouTube link removed by admin)

(YouTube link removed by admin)

And here's a test done by Panacea University out of Sydney, AU:

(YouTube link removed by admin)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver
 
RobertSmalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Posts: 2,258

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Thanks: 79
Thanked 283 Times in 196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Gentlemen, does the data count for nothing as well?

Please take a look at the YouTube vids and see the data presenting itself on good test equipment. There are about a dozen vids there showing the changes in the emissions.

Come on, now.... Start with this one. It showed the most dramatic improvement of all I have modified:
Can you skip the emotional appeals, and post a link to the report instead of a video?
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
Gadgetman (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are a magnificent statesman!

Thank you for showing your ability to take all matters under consideration according to your obviously high standards. You will be considered a legend in your own time. Mr. Smalls.

I am so obviously out of your league, and I appreciate you pointing that out.

Now, I will go back to my investors and collaborators and colleagues and tell them it's decided.

600 field tests and over a hundred testimonials are worthless.... According to some faceless nameless entity on a forum, we must now accept our investment totally wasted. All the reports are not worth the time it took to record them.

I guess I should hang my head in shame....

NOT!


I am making a positive difference in the lives of people.

What are you doing?

Here's someone else you should contact and tell them what you think of his testing protocols:
Dr. John Balachandra of UC Santa Cruz the Director of their Center for Sustainable Energy and Power Systems opinion of The Gadgetman Groove

Last edited by Gadgetman; 11-20-2010 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Misspelling and adding a link to a testimonial
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Batman Junior
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,250

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.8 mpg (US)

Winter beater Metro - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 73.57 mpg (US)

Fancy Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 55.99 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,004
Thanked 5,887 Times in 3,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Gentlemen, does the data count for nothing as well?
This isn't data. It's still mostly testimonials.

The Panacea University test had my interest until I saw the (inherently flawed) on-road testing. So I wasn't surprised to discover there is of course no "Panacea University" in a list of accredited Australian universities & colleges (source).

---

Final warning, Gadgetman: because you're selling something, you must meet a higher standard than the average tinkerer who wants to discuss his latest mod.

So, I've removed the links to your videos, and am giving this warning: you're welcome to provide credible 3rd party evidence as to what your groove accomplishes. If you can't post that kind of information, stop posting on EcoModder. (Or you'll be banned.)

FYI, the "EPA Motor Vehicle Aftermarket Retrofit Device Evaluation Program" is an "EPA-approved" test methodology designed specifically for evaluating devices that claim to save fuel or reduce emissions.
__________________
Latest mods test: 15 mods = 15% MPG improvement: A-B test, 2007 Honda Civic 1.8L, 5-speed
Ecodriving test:
Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown: Nissan Micra 1.6L



EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
UltArc (09-10-2013)
Old 11-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Batman Junior
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,250

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.8 mpg (US)

Winter beater Metro - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 73.57 mpg (US)

Fancy Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 55.99 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,004
Thanked 5,887 Times in 3,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Here's someone else you should contact and tell them what you think of his testing protocols:
Dr. John Balachandra of UC Santa Cruz the Director of their Center for Sustainable Energy and Power Systems
That video isn't data either.

What would be useful is if you could provide Dr Balachandra's research report. I for one would like to read about his testing protocols.
__________________
Latest mods test: 15 mods = 15% MPG improvement: A-B test, 2007 Honda Civic 1.8L, 5-speed
Ecodriving test:
Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown: Nissan Micra 1.6L



EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wiki Writer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 236

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Thanks: 15
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
i thought id throw my 2 cents in here

initially i thought this was a hoax generally from the approach of hard selling and because i cant theorise how this could possibly work.
Having said that one thing that did catch my attention about this is that gadgetman offered for ecomodders in an certain area to test it out for free. To me this gives it a little credability (but not too much). Unfortunately the modification does require a non reversible change to be made to the air intake therefore i think many ecomodders will be hesitant to try it out unless it is conclusively proven.

Gadgetman, just a suggestion to you.
if you can explain the scientific principle behind how this device improves fuel efficiency then you are more likely to win over some more people. A large amount of the people on this forum are technically and scientifically minded, I believe there are several mechanical engineers so if there is any validity to your products claims they will be able to tell us if there is any possible way the concept will work.

the only other way you could convince me is to have one of the very active members on here try it out and report back to the group.
I would trust MetroMPG's feedback more than anyone else considering his history of valuable test data however I can completely understand his and other peoples hesistance to try the product due to the non reversible nature of the modification.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mcrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,523

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Thanks: 2,203
Thanked 658 Times in 474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
No they don't.

I wrote to several news outlets re: Doug Palmear and his scam Mustang. Some never replied even after a follow-up from me; some did reply but they never expressed any interest correcting their wrong, acknowledging their role in promoting a scam, and/or putting any correct information out there.

Everything the media presents must be evaluated with a VERY jaundiced eye.
Frank Lee, couple of thoughts:
1. don't use the stationary with your picture up in the corner
2. maybe "and having a veil of pseudonymity was/is nice. "

I'm just saying......
__________________
MetroMPG: "Get the MPG gauge - it turns driving into a fuel & money saving game."

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mcrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,523

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Thanks: 2,203
Thanked 658 Times in 474 Posts
Dear Ron

you said "Now, I will go back to my investors and collaborators and colleagues and tell them it's decided.

600 field tests and over a hundred testimonials are worthless.... According to some faceless nameless entity on a forum, we must now accept our investment totally wasted. All the reports are not worth the time it took to record them.

I guess I should hang my head in shame....


Two examples come to mind from your sarcastic comment.........
1. 1610, Galileo published his Sidereus Nuncius (Starry Messenger), describing the surprising observations that he had made with the new telescope. These and other discoveries exposed major difficulties with the scientific understanding of the heavens that had been held since antiquity, and raised new interest in radical teachings such as the heliocentric theory of Copernicus (published in De revolutionibus orbium coelestium in 1543). THe result was Galileo was looked up. Now don't think I am comparing you to Galileo. No, you are more like the Pope. Just because YOUR circle of friends agree with you does not make you right or replace true scientific testing.

2. In my own industry, Long-Term Care, the vast majority of the industry is completely off base on some core 'facts' and beliefs. I have reseached the true source of these errors and even written a book on the topic. I have been battling this for 10 yrs. Unlike you, instead of rushing uot and snagging investors who can 'prove me right', I wrote a book that lists each myth, the documented sources of the myth, and the documented truths and facts. There are no footnotes or index. Each source is listed right there in the text. I used these facts to convince MetLife to finally change a nationally distributed ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO LTC that had be WRONG for 9 years(and was reviewed for content every 2 yrs.
If you'd like, I'd be glad to send it to you (19.95 plus postage) so you can see how to actually, proffesionally, and in a business like manner validate and prove your point.

__________________
MetroMPG: "Get the MPG gauge - it turns driving into a fuel & money saving game."

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcrews For This Useful Post:
UltArc (09-10-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SuperMID - Fuel Economy Display SVOboy Instrumentation 25 05-15-2015 10:16 PM
How to calculate MPG / fuel economy formula MetroMPG DIY / How-to 29 11-25-2013 07:47 PM
Article: Lean burn on an otherwise stock engine (testing Acura RSX K-Series engine) tjts1 EcoModding Central 4 01-07-2010 02:22 PM
Why SUV fuel economy is so much more important than small car fuel economy... SVOboy General Efficiency Discussion 30 02-23-2009 07:26 PM
Basic EcoDriving Techniques and Instrumentation SVOboy Instrumentation 2 11-17-2007 12:38 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com