Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
I agree with ac7ss. I don't do ANY brake checks - I don't want to be part of the problem and all it will do is cause an accident - and I really like my little commuter car.

I have been using my flashers on certain parts of my commute and hug the fog line to encourage passing. I drive my drive and don't let the a-hole behind me dictate how I drive. I will use right turn lanes in rural parts of my drive as a pull-out to let folks pass. I might even time the big rig approaching behind me so that he can get by me in a passing zone without him having to "power" around me - momentum is their friend.

Overall I'd say that 90% of the people pass in no passing zones. About 1 in 20 pass me through an intersection. About 1 in a 100 will pass me through an intersection with cars in cross traffic waiting to turn. The rest (the VERY few) will pass me safely and legally.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #162 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I check my mirrors to see who is "coming up at me". If I am on a freeway, I make sure that I am not "pacing" somebody in the other lane: that way any followers have another lane to drive in to pass me.

On a two lane road, I still check my mirrors to see who is coming. If they are catching up to me in a "passing zone", I can slow down a bit more to make it easy for them to pass. If somebody is following for a while, I drive a bit faster, then slow down in the passing zones.

There have been occasions when I just slowed down to a stop on a quiet road. Got funny looks.

If somebody insists on tailgaiting me in the dark and in a fog on a road with no passing zones, then I slow down even more. They can go off into a ditch for all I care. Spend the remainder of their dumb life in a nursing home.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #163 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecobalt View Post
There have been occasions when I just slowed down to a stop on a quiet road. Got funny looks.
I don't think I would slow to a stop but I think it is polite to allow a 'slower car going faster' to pass by slowing on an empty straight part and using my indicators to signal to the side.

The last time I went down the A702 (twisty but with overtaking places in Scotland) I let a Ford Ka (75hp 1.3 Petrol) pass me (140hp TDi) - she was enjoying her small car and the corners, I was in no rush saving fuel. She waved, I was happy. Job done. She wouldn't have made it safely otherwise and all I would have had was a tailgater.

In the old days this pulling over was part of the learning process of driving in the UK but unfortunately it seems to have been removed.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #164 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I said that I slow down in "the passing zones".
Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #165 (permalink)
The PRC.

Apologies if I misunderstood - on 2 lane roads here (see my quote) people are allowed to pass as long as it is safe - broken white lines - these tend to be those quiet roads. A solid white line indicates no passing. I thought you meant the former when you tapped quiet roads.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #166 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No problem. Happy motoring
Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #167 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I finally got to use my friendly back off device; namely the back window washer on my van. I turned it to face the rear, and the other day I had a black pontiac g6 right up my trumpet. I know I was going 10 over but he wanted to go faster still and seemed intent on giving me some free acceleration assist. So I turned on the rear window washer, and in the rear view saw the washer fluid gracefully cleaning his windshield. (and yes, it was washer fluid--I even buy the Rain-X brand too, not just the cheapo blue stuff!) He was so close I could make out individual droplets glinting in the sun. About 5 seconds later he turned on his wipers and gave me about a car length of room (@55-60 mph!!!!) which was better than driving in my future boattail section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #168 (permalink)
The PRC.

For tailgaters I have considered a seperate reservoir full of something a little less helpful.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #169 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Colorado - '06 Chevy Colorado LT
I just let off the gas a little to slow down. Usually it irritates the person and they speed around me. I have tapped the brakes to make the lights turn on, but dont anymore as I dont want them to run into me. If they just wont backoff on the local highway, I'll keep pace with someone next to me just to irritate them.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #170 (permalink)
TDI Powered

DZLBUG - '98 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI
90 day: 41.97 mpg (US)
When someone is tailgating me, I downshift and get the rpm's near redline, which causes a rich mixture at WOT, which in turn, results in a large cloud of soot being produced, as I speed off into the wild blue 'yonder . I can only guess how much soot the fellow behind me ingested into his cabin...

Needless to say, he will, hopefully, think twice about ever tailgating a car with a TDi badge on it.

Reply  Post New Thread