Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #391 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
Just curious! Between the 3 of you, how did the all of you 'packin conversation get aired?
There is much evidence of firearms ownership in my garage. My wife called on the cell phone to confirm I was OK. Virginia has an issue unless their is a legal problem policy, and you ARE fingerprinted as part of the issuance of the permit.

In the many years that I have had a cc permit in VA I have never read about a crime being comitted by a CC Virginian. Not that it did not happen but you can bet that those who oppose the 2nd ammendment would make a huge fuss if there were any examples.

I started carrying when I was making large cash deposits in the thousands to the bank at night from my auto repair business. back then you had to be interviewed by the Commonwealths Attorney and have a legitimate reason to carry.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 07-27-2011 at 09:06 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #392 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
It was not the road rage that brought out the gun. It was the other (enraged) driver getting out of his car and coming at the person who decided to defend himself. If faced with the threat of an assualt. I have no intention of alloing the person initiating the assault to have any control over the situation.

I would

Try to leave.
Try to stay seaprated
Try whatever you like, but when all of that fails I have another option that allows me to walk away intact.
Not a single physical blow either by me to another human being or another human being to me since 1963.
Never had to produce the weapon in the first place and have never been the victim of a criminal act or even a witness to a criminal act while in possesion of a firearm.
Hope it never happens, but in fact having the means of protecting myself is just another form of insurance, a right which is Constitutionally protected in the US.
Best of all it works.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (07-28-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #393 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0sitmatr View Post
apparently, since its considered a home invasion, CSI might not even be called in, depending on the circumstances.
You really think nobody's going to notice you dragged the body back into the house if he managed to get out - or was out when you shot him

Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #394 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by endurance View Post

You may in fact have a local sheriff who'd love to see another thug off the streets at any cost, but when his family comes after you in civil court, good luck trying to explain why you tampered with the crime scene after you took their only income away. All the jury needs is the preponderance of the evidence and you lose your life savings to support his family. Thanks, but I'll use whatever means necessary to keep my family alive, but I stop short of modifying a crime scene.
LOL
I love this argument.
it falls in line with the thief who had his knee shot out while robbing someone's home and won a lawsuit against the person who shot him. whether that story is actually true or not really doesnt matter, I mean, if someone comes into your home and is uninvited and a perceived threat to your family, do you honestly think the police are going to spend a lot of effort into the investigation ?
Im betting it mostly depends on how much crime is in your area and how taxed the forensics team is in the first place. I do know that 15 or so years ago, my apt got broken into and after calling the police, it took them over 1 1/2 hours to respond. a lot of things can happen in that time:
the sprinklers could come on, it could rain, a dog could come by and piss on something, a raccoon could give it a look see for scrounging food, etc etc.

Im not going to argue about it any longer, I know what I was told, (twice, I might add) if you dont believe me, thats not my problem.

but I will stand by what drv2d dealt with and his handling of the situation.
if you dont like how he dealt with it, the more the fool you are for thinking the world is filled with pretty pretty rainbowy people....

Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #395 (permalink)
The PRC.

Ahem - I heard / read the "if they fall outside drag them inside" myth in the 80s - so I doubt this is up to the minute advice from Law Enforcement (I preferred it when the police were there to uphold the law rather than enforce it but hey...) - more an urban myth which maybe has some loose basis in law.

A "killing" is a "killing" as opposed to a "death" - it generates a mess of paperwork and questions which any police officer worthy of the name will want to make sure are answered as completely and accurately as possible. If you have police who don't want to do that you are lucky enough to be able to un-elect them, we can't.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #396 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
"...Honest, Officer, the dumb guy was stealing lead bullets as they flew through the air; and from what I saw, he was able to 'catch' a half-dozen or so--in mid flight--before he suddenly expired of his self-inflicted lead poisoning."
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
d0sitmatr (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #397 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
hahahah
thats TWICE you've made me laugh in as many minutes, thanks mate !

Old 09-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #398 (permalink)
The PRC.

Back to tailgating I had a nice one this morning on my trip this morning in Scotland. I went along the M9 towards Stirling and then turned off towards Glasgow. The part that connects the two motorways is usually quite quiet and this morning was no exception, I couldn't see anyone in front or behind.

Then I spotted the laser headlights of an Audi Q7 coming up quite fast, in fact very fast probably well into 3 figures. I braced myself for the woosh as it passed but it didn't. Instead it slowed and ended up about 2-3 ft behind me. There are two lanes so he had no problem in passing. A check in the mirrors and yes - phone is clamped to his ear which is not only illegal here but very very stupid.

And anyway I would expect having paid £40k+ for an Audi Q7 it would have handsfree ?

Anyway he clearly hadn't noticed how slow I was going but was still close so I wanted him off, so I slowed hoping he would get the message.

Nope.

We got down to 35 MPH (in a 70) before he noticed. When he did and passed I got the WTF hang signals followed by a finger, so which I gave a hand signal which indicated I thought him to be an Onarist.

The Q7 nose pointed to the sky as he floored it, smoke belching from the tailpipes of his TDI powered wunderwagen. And then all brake lights came on suddenly. So suddenly that he triggered the hazard lights flashing system which Audis have when they decelerate suddenly. Why ?

One of these was sat on the bridge just over the brow of the next hill.

They have damn good cameras and they like to zoom in on the drivers so that they know who they are, so maybe they got him on the phone too. That would be tasty, 3 points for speeding and 3 for the phone - if you get 12 its game over. Oh and £60 for each offence too

Now normally the Audi cruising at speed on an empty motorway, I wouldn't care. But as this one had been a prat he got what he deserved.

George keeps me out of trouble as it takes him 3 miles to get over 70
Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #399 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Back to tailgating I had a nice one this morning on my trip this morning in Scotland. I went along the M9 towards Stirling and then turned off towards Glasgow. The part that connects the two motorways is usually quite quiet and this morning was no exception, I couldn't see anyone in front or behind.

Then I spotted the laser headlights of an Audi Q7 coming up quite fast, in fact very fast probably well into 3 figures. I braced myself for the woosh as it passed but it didn't. Instead it slowed and ended up about 2-3 ft behind me. There are two lanes so he had no problem in passing. A check in the mirrors and yes - phone is clamped to his ear which is not only illegal here but very very stupid.

And anyway I would expect having paid £40k+ for an Audi Q7 it would have handsfree ?

Anyway he clearly hadn't noticed how slow I was going but was still close so I wanted him off, so I slowed hoping he would get the message.

Nope.

We got down to 35 MPH (in a 70) before he noticed. When he did and passed I got the WTF hang signals followed by a finger, so which I gave a hand signal which indicated I thought him to be an Onarist.

The Q7 nose pointed to the sky as he floored it, smoke belching from the tailpipes of his TDI powered wunderwagen. And then all brake lights came on suddenly. So suddenly that he triggered the hazard lights flashing system which Audis have when they decelerate suddenly. Why ?

One of these was sat on the bridge just over the brow of the next hill.

They have damn good cameras and they like to zoom in on the drivers so that they know who they are, so maybe they got him on the phone too. That would be tasty, 3 points for speeding and 3 for the phone - if you get 12 its game over. Oh and £60 for each offence too

Now normally the Audi cruising at speed on an empty motorway, I wouldn't care. But as this one had been a prat he got what he deserved.

George keeps me out of trouble as it takes him 3 miles to get over 70
Hurrah for Jamsandwich!

I was on that road tonight (the co-worker's Mazda is in for some after sales paintwork, at Arnold Clark in Stirling)

As for Audi drivers- I like them..they make us BMW drivers seem like less of a see you next tuesday..

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 09-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #400 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Don't look for fights and arguments. Don't let a jerk squirrel your game. Just slide over in the lane and wave 'em by without a look or gesture. Because their road rage sucks, they'll hate that and their mood is your "revenge." cheers... james

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread