Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2022, 12:25 AM   #161 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I only had 4 whole 1x2s. It seemed weird to not cut them to end in the middle of the rafters.

Not just weird, it was wrong.

It was never clear how wide each section of the ceiling was. I put one board in each corner and one in the middle.

Then I cut the fourth piece to finish the first row, but I need to trim the full piece, and hopefully use the partials eventually.

I need to cut 9 more 1x2s.

I tried screwing a scrap to the ends, but my headlamp died before I could make it work, which was just as well, because it was the wrong way.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #162 (permalink)
Not Doug

I finally did a little work on the shed

It was my brother's birthday over the weekend. We drove to a resort in Phoenix.

We enjoyed a good firework show for Independence Day.

I finally bought a drywall lift that morning, since it might take me so long to do the ceiling that a rental would cost at least as much as buying it. I finally got a 20% coupon for a $200+ purchase and the guy said that if I joined the club it would pay for itself with this purchase.

Well, I believe that was with a 25% off coupon, when I already had a 20% off coupon, but I am sure that I will use it a fair amount in the next 2 years.

I just wish that I could have gotten 25% off on the portable garage!

I also bought a pole saw.

I could have saved another couple of dollars had I bought the lift first.

My brother had me buy him a couple of things. I made 3 trips to my car so I could get the 20% discount each time.

The pole saw worked great! However, 3/4ths of the branches on the tree are dead. I am 6'2", I have long arms, and the saw is an almost-10-foot pole, but I was only able to trim halfway up.

I am sure that strapping it to a 20' pole would be fun!

My 09 mom canceled. I see 2 kids there. Soon after I started working on the shed, Mom called me out. Some guy was supposedly working with the power company to help people reduce usage, but it turned out that he was selling solar.
He said that Mom averages $153 in electricity monthly and we could replace that with solar for the low low price of $146 a month!
Instead of paying the power company, our money would be going to an investment!
There is a 25-year loan on panels that have a 25-year warranty.
We might have Mom's car in 2031, when it is 25 years old.
There is a chance that my Accord will still be in the family, but I am not betting on solar panels.

I removed the 2x4s, clamped them with 3 more, trimmed, pre-drilled, and installed them, and I was out of time.
I really wanted to cut and install the other 6!

My 1pm mom still has coronavirus, so I worked on the shed. I finished with 40 minutes before I need to see two clients, drive an hour, see 2 more in Holbrook, and drive back.
I should get home at 9pm and I need to leave for the same town to see the same clients at 9am.

The fun part is that I am supposed to finish my notes this evening.
I will be working!
Old 07-11-2022, 12:07 AM   #163 (permalink)
Not Doug

How to clean floor mats

I swear that I posted about this here and on Facebook, but I could not find either. I mentioned posting pictures in OG VX's thread, which is where I found them--post #458! My ex got my Forester depressingly dirty and then I managed to make things worse while making repairs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
These are samples of how the car was when I got it back:

I do not know what she had on the plastic, but I scraped off a portion:

I really like cleaning with water, just because it cannot leave a residue. When I pulled the floor mats, the carpet looked clean, but was sticky, so I grabbed my citrus cleaner. It said to use a rag and then clean with soap and water. I have scrubbed the mats with plain water, dish soap, and citrus cleaner. I am currently trying two parts hydrogen peroxide and one part blue Dawn. I found some lady's blog. She showed a picture of her floor mats and said that it was embarrassing that she allowed them to get that dirty, even with four kids.

I thought mine looked worse and it probably took those four kids longer.

The lady said that once you sprayed the cleaner on it, run them through the washing machine.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post492995

This isn't the blog where I found the formula (and long story), this is where that blogger said she found the formula (and her long story).

Clearly, this has nothing to do with the shed, except that I am not getting back to the shed until I clean Mom's nasty floormats. I wanted to clean them last weekend, pulled them today and hosed them off, and of course it took me far too long to track down the formula.

I had wanted to soak them in the bathtub, but I was supposed to run my brother's bath over an hour ago.

The floormats, of course, are currently in a big red cooler. I had also wanted to fill it with hot soapy water so I could clean all of Mom's dishes. It is so full that you cannot use it, but I really need to finish progress reports.

By the way, I went to work on the shed yesterday, but it had rained, and I had left my circular saw outside, so I brought it inside to dry.

It will be okay, right?

Right?!

Also, I just learned about rip fences\saw guides, and I am ordering this:

It is by Makita, but one by Craftsman is a couple times as expensive, although as far as I can tell the only differences are the name and the price.

Apparently it isn't precise because of how narrow the guide is. I may end up screwing a 6" or longer piece of wood to it.

I don't like my Harbor Freight clamp edge and saw guide. I need to use a speed square to ensure that it is actually straight and it usually takes several tries to get it lined up right where you want it.

Since you clamp it in place you need to unclamp it to adjust and it seems that clamping and unclamping moves it from side-to-side, and perhaps adjusts the angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41siox8eszL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	32587  
Old 07-11-2022, 12:59 AM   #164 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Why aren't you buying the Aerocivic? AeroCivic looking for home again

Old 07-11-2022, 02:53 AM   #165 (permalink)
Not Doug

I will just park that on the other side yard, the one with the side fence all of the way in the back!

No problem!

I will just throw cammo netting over it!

That car really deserves better skill and luck than I possess, although that applies to my cars, as well.

Someone posted a [relatively] low-mileage 2002 Accord for $600 and I linked it to my friend who drives up once every month or so to see her parents in the general area.

"Hey, can you drive this up the next time you visit your parents?! I'll be your frieeeeeeeeeeeeend! ��"
"Then you’ll drive me home in it or fly me home?"
"There has been a crash every year out of the Show Low airport.
I will drive you home."

That wasn't the response I expected from her.
Quote:
2002 Honda Accord EX.
Runs really well. Constant maintenance over the past 6 years. Regular oil changes and tuneups.
Good for teen drivers or maybe a commute car.
Has minor oil leak. Psgr window is off its track and A/C needs to be recharged.
$600 Firm. Cash only.
It needed constant maintenance! That's not good!

What are the criteria for being good for a teen driver? I see that on almost every ad!
How bad is the minor oil leak? I wouldn't call my leaks minor, even in an ad, although I would say "It does leak, but if you top off the fluids every month you will be fine."

You will have a giant stain in your driveway until the leak is out of control!

I can get a window back on track. I replaced a regulator on my Accord window.

I can recharge the AC, but what about the leak? People always say that it just needs to be recharged, but why is it low?!

Would you rather deal with a leaky AC or engine and transmission?

They say it has 164,400 miles, less than two-thirds as many as my 2002 Civic, they are asking 25% less; it is the same year, but larger, and I cannot imagine anyone claiming that my 2002 Civic "runs really well." 2002 Honda Accord - $600 (Sun City)
freebeard (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 03:05 AM   #166 (permalink)
Not Doug

Perhaps the guy from Aging Wheels would be interested.

He maintains 8-10 vehicles, has a large property with a lift, and collects odd cars. He has some old and unusual ones and a couple rare EVs.

An extremely-modified Civic might fit in.

He has an extremely-modified Yugo, but it was modified the boring way.

He wouldn't destroy two old Civics, would he?!
Old 07-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #167 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
You need one of these for your shed.

Turbo Jet On Boost - with Only Fire Wood - Thing is scary!

Old 07-12-2022, 06:42 PM   #168 (permalink)
Not Doug

Right! I am ordering that rip fence! Done!

I always say that I am going to do stuff the first thing in the morning, but wake up, check my notifications, get distracted by crazy current events, etc., and haven't started anything hours later.

However, this morning I woke up, put on my shoes, and took the floor mats outside to dry.

My brother was kind enough to throw Mom's floor mats, which I ran through the washer, in the dryer, with a dryer sheet.

They seem okay, but the Camry logo is falling off.

How do I reattach that?!

I sprayed the same solution that I used on the floor mats on my Accord interior.

The same solution that I hosed off the floor mats.

I started using damp washcloths to wipe off the solution, but it just sudsed, so I removed my front seats and hosed them off.

They will dry in the Arizona sun, right?!

I got on the computer to look up how to remove the rear seats in my Accord, but forgot. I figured that it was a few fasteners, but I couldn't find any.

The cloth backing is attached with velcro on the corners. That covers the bolts. Two 12mm ones for the back and one 10mm for the seat, then one more 10mm for each side.

Unfortunately, Mom came in my room for something silly and mentioned that it was raining.

"My front seats are getting rained on! All of my Accord doors are open!

"So, take care of it!" She shouted as she ever-so-slowly backed out of my room and into the living room.

Not being Spiderman, I was unable to pass her climbing the walls.

It mostly stopped before long, but I put the back seat on its side on an extra wire-rack shelf on the porch, with my shop fan blowing on it.

I honestly fear that the best way to remove the soap from my carpeting is to pour water on it and then use dozens of old towels to dry up the water. I remember a video where a guy cleaned out his carpet with a hose and vacuum.

No, it wasn't ChrisFix. Let's see if his video has anything useful.

Anyway, I thought that I would try pouring a pitcher of water on the carpet and then use my shop vac.

I remembered that the bottom of the lid says to remove the disk filter, so I dismantled the lid, and didn't see any additional filter. I looked it up and found a 2-minute and 2-year-old video that looked 20 years old and should have lasted 20 seconds.

The disk filter goes over the canister filter, under the ring clamp.

I don't have one of those.

Eight minutes in, ChrisFix says to disconnect your battery terminal, remove your front seats, disconnecting the cable underneath first.

He moved the seat forward and back to access the bolts easier, which I did on my driver's seat, but then it didn't want to adjust to center, and I scratched my interior removing the seat.

It wasn't that much more difficult removing the passenger seat without sliding it and then I was able to remove it without scratching anything.

Well, I am supposed to be seeing a client. I was supposed to see one already, but nobody does therapy in the Grand Canyon!
Old 07-12-2022, 08:17 PM   #169 (permalink)
Not Doug

He used a squirt of dish soap in a spray bottle and filled it with hot water, sprayed it on stains, and scrubbed it with a toothbrush.

Then he used a steam cleaner and a toothbrush on stubborn stains.

We will see what that does to the candy the Alaskans embedded in one of my floor mats.

He sprayed the floor with Meguiar's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, scrubbed it with a brush, and then vacuumed again.

Then he used a Hoover Spotless Portable Carpet & Upholstery Spot Cleaner, which Amazon sells for $98. Walmart is supposed to have it for the same price, but it is supposed to arrive a day earlier.

I bought a carpet cleaner a while ago. I am going to find the attachments and see if I can use that on my car.

He cautions against using too much water because the carpet pad will absorb it.

I bought my brother 15 bags of popcorn for his birthday and this was absolutely our favorite, at least so far:

I paid $16 at Walmart, but we liked it so much I ordered a bag for each of my sisters. Thirteen dollars on Amazon.

Then he removed the floor mats, brushed them off, banged them together, vacuumed, pressure-washed, sprayed with Meguir's, used a power brush on it, used the shampooer, and then hung his floor mats!

Then he Scotchguards them.

He uses plastic cleaner on a soft brush to clean the trunk trim, plastic protector on a different brush, vacuums around the trunk opening, and a waterless wash and wax for the narrow areas.

He cleans the headliner, but I haven't noticed any marks in mine, so I am skipping that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71l7FtbnsuL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	32599   Click image for larger version

Name:	a1LU4dB.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	32600  
Old 07-12-2022, 09:20 PM   #170 (permalink)
Not Doug

I am 20 minutes into the second video and it is more of the same, use soapy water or a specialized spray and a soft-bristled brush or microfiber washcloth, and then a protective spray.

One thing that I keep thinking, besides that I should have created a dedicated thread, is that he keeps spraying soapy water on everything, but wipes it off without rinsing.

There is a third video just for the upholstery!

He uses the steam cleaner to remove melted junk in cupholders and stuff. Mom has melted Skittles in the cupholder in her trunk.

Don't you keep Skittles in the cupholder in your trunk?

He also points out to use a cleaner without ammonia that specifies it is safe for tint before you clean your windows inside and out. It reminds me of this is the video where Old School Funk flipped a lovely black Civic coupe:He sprayed the upholstery with a little Gain and then a spray bottle full of water. He sprayed and dabbed liberally with a towel.

I always feel that that would leave residue.

He also fixed the driver's mirror with fiberglass and resin.

That would have been cheaper than replacing it each time someone hit me, right?

Ace has fiberglass cloth for less than $5, but I cannot find a smaller container of resin than a quart, so fiberglass, resin, and hardener would be at least $30, but Ace has a Bondo Fiberglass Repair Kit for $20.

ChrisFix just used a brush and vacuum for the seats, the spray, and then the carpet cleaner.

He uses the spray and the carpet cleaner on the seatbelts.

I have cleaned seatbelts several times because they don't like to retract and they are invariably dirty. The way that worked best for me was soaking in a Super Clean solution, closing the door with the seatbelts on the outside, and hosing them down. These videos total around 90 minutes: How often do people spend an hour and a half cleaning their car?!

Well, probably not often, which is why it takes so long!