Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #441 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Your implication that it's the White House's fault that states didn't act appropriately is contradicted in your first sentence. If people knew it was so serious that they sold their stocks, then they had the information they needed to protect their citizens.
The president is excused because senators didn't do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Xist — Great news! I attached an external keyboard. L-L-L-L.
Oh sure! Leave me worrying that you can only do capital Ls!
[there is an L in "External"]

I do not know if I mentioned it here, but I told my friend:

So, there is lots of blame to go around. China, Washington, New York, D.C., and those idiots on spring break in Florida.

Hold everyone responsible!

I ran my brother's bath earlier than usual, but I told him to get ready several times, and he ignored me, so I laid down while I waited. Well, I fell asleep, and Mom needed to take him for a walk. He definitely prefers walking with me. I think that it is because I walk quickly and Mom so doesn't.

I didn't wake up until 02!

I need to get back to bed. We need to be up at 0630 to get him ready for his day program and I am supposed to do nine hours of teletherapy today!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New York is guilty, too.png
Views:	59
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	27797  

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #442 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

How Scientists Quantify the Intensity of an Outbreak Like COVID-19

https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/round...-like-covid-19

Features, Evaluation and Treatment Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/

>

Old 03-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #443 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I don't vote because it doesn't count (economist mindset). The First and last presidential election I voted in was Bush. At the time I affiliated with the Republican party. The federal government expanded dramatically under that administration, and there was the whole WMD mistake. Finally, all of the terrorists came from Saudi Arabia, but we didn't put their feet to the fire for that.

Also, I'm in Oregon, which means the electoral college points will go to whatever candidate has a D in their title. If I want someone with a D in their title to be president, I have to do nothing for the state to choose that. If I want anyone else, it's pointless to try.

The Ds and the Rs will all expand federal government and balloon our debt, so they are indistinguishable from each other. Not interested in quibbling over which letter is in the title of the corrupt politician in office.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 03-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #444 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Did you close your eyes and plug your ears at that point? I bolded this point for it's importance:

Quote:
People in the health community say Fauci’s role has been important and note that the White House has not pushed back on or silenced the top health official after he has contradicted the president.
It is good that Fauci isn't being punished for speaking the truth. Why aren't you concerned that the President continues to lie?

When the health experts say one thing and the President says something else it confuses and diminishes the message from those experts. The President should be using his public communication to rally the country to do what the experts say we need to do to beat this. He shouldn't be stepping on that message and confusing it.

That is a huge problem with the response so far. There isn't one clear and unified message coming from the Executive Branch.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #445 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Your implication that it's the White House's fault that states didn't act appropriately is contradicted in your first sentence. If people knew it was so serious that they sold their stocks, then they had the information they needed to protect their citizens.
It is the White House's fault that while health organizations like the CDC were privately telling the government that a pandemic in the USA was almost certain the President was publicly saying everything was OK.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:53 PM   #446 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Why aren't you concerned that the President continues to lie?
Let's be real, the President is a narcissist who believes what he's saying, so he's not lying.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #447 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
It is the White House's fault that while health organizations like the CDC were privately telling the government that a pandemic in the USA was almost certain the President was publicly saying everything was OK.
As I said, it isn't clear that withholding information was bad. There are many instances where full disclosure results in social behavior that undermines the overall health and strength of the citizens.

Something like 60% of us are going to get exposed, so there's utility in ramping up initial exposure early on and then applying measures to slow the spread.

The way you "win" against this virus isn't to never get exposed; it's to expose people at a rate that healthcare is able to provide reasonable care while also balancing the need for people to work (economic concerns).

Perhaps Trump has not optimally balanced economic and health interests, but we won't know until we're through this and looking back.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 03-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #448 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
There is plenty of blame to go around, as long as I can remember every couple of years there was something that the news was harping about that was going to lead to millions dying, or the end to society etc...

I honestly didn't take it seriously until after Italy's health care infrastructure became overwhelmed.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #449 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Let's be real, the President is a narcissist who believes what he's saying, so he's not lying.
That is not how that works!

We’re all video chatting now. But some of us hate it.

This is my job now. I am supposed to video chat for both employers. I was supposed to have been doing teletherapy for an hour and a half now, but I could not get an adequate connection at home. My work laptop either says that it cannot connect or "Request blocked."

I tried to connect my two laptops, but I have only gotten the old one to connect to the wifi once. I tried a bunch of stuff and did not get anywhere, but even when it was plugged into ethernet and this laptop was a few feet from the router, it was still garbage.

I tried this laptop and my phone with the same result. I finally came into school. The resource teacher, with whom I am supposed to share a room (rather, I get a small corner of her room), was already doing a Zoom session.

She might as well record a video and posted it on YouTube. I do not have any idea how many kids were supposed to be participating, but I hardly heard anything.

However, how am I supposed to do video chat with someone loudly and energetically holding her own video chat in the same room?

Am I supposed to commandeer and contaminate someone else's space [until they come in]?

How am I supposed to make sure that my connection works? I have had poor-quality, delayed, and garbed audio, but I also keep getting feedback loops.

That is the last thing that she needs!

The school supervisor called while I was still trying to connect my work laptop and my phone. So, I wasn't able to accomplish anything because she wanted to feel better about something.

I swear that my five-year-old phone is faster than my work laptop! I swear that my three-year-old $300 laptop is faster, too!

I finally connected the work laptop and my phone a bit after she hung up, but I am still troubleshooting feedback loops. The two devices are over twenty feet apart and it keeps happening.

That isn't enough distance?!

I finally have a final answer from NAU!

"We will get around to it!"

Edit! It sounds like the solution is to get a headset. Hopefully my head provides an adequate filter!

Also, the sound waves will start out weaker due to proximity to auditory receptors. I believe that humans call them "Earholes."

The awesome part is that it broadcasts little sounds that I do not normally notice like clicking my touchpad and squeaking my chair.

Last edited by Xist; 03-30-2020 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #450 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH
It is good that Fauci isn't being punished for speaking the truth. Why aren't you concerned that the President continues to lie?
I'm with redpoint5. Permalink #447

And Scott Adams talks about the difference between factually and directionally true. I refer you to him.

Are you keeping a list (and checking it twice)?

Xist — My doctor offered a teleconference, but when I called to set it up, they want to use an online service instead of the telephone. I've had a post-it [scrap] over the camera since I got it, just like Mark Zuckerberg.

So now I have until Wednesday morning to set up lighting and a green screen.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread