Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Heres a pic I took today of it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Is it twin-scroll? looks like that way from the hot side inlet...

Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Is it twin-scroll? looks like that way from the hot side inlet...
Yep it has two inlets just like the picture on this site.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1963067..._2072_50909328

My pic doesn't show the other inlet. Sorry bad pic.LOL

Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

rusty - '00 ford mustang coupe
90 day: 24.31 mpg (US)

cbr929 - '00 honda cbr929 fast
90 day: 39.54 mpg (US)

Porshe - '06 Kawasaki zx10r
90 day: 47.21 mpg (US)

truck - '96 ford ranger
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
The reason has to do with something called BMEP(you can google it). Like christ said try to make 900rwhp out of your 3.8L then you would have the equivalent to my engine. At 900rwhp your engine is going to detonate like no tomorrow running "pump fuel" with a water/meth injection setup. Plus there is more to my setup then just making hp and going fast. I need to concentrate on the emission side of it also. E85 will help me through this.

If my 3.8L was making 900rwhp you do realize that it'll go much faster and quicker than your fwd honda with 450whp right? So it wouldn't be equivalent first of all. Second of all, my mustang is my dd, I do not need 900rwhp to get from point a to point b. Third of all, if I wanted to make 900rwhp I wouldn't want to modify 3.8L just like I wouldn't modify honda motors, for a simple reason, too expensive, there are better/cheaper ways to make that kind of power.

I'm sorry you feel this way and have to make fun of people with special needs.

I do not make fun of people that are handicapped, it's not very nice.

Honda has paved the way in technology for the internal combustion engine.
It started in F1 back in 1984 and they dominated until 1988. Look up the
RA-166-E Honda engine. 1.5L that makes 1500HP
Honda has contributed a ton when it comes to automobiles.

This is 2009, maybe in 1988 honda was able to compete, this year I am sorry to inform you they're not around, but they do make good commuter cars.

I agree!!!

See its people like you that make me motivated. I thank you for this.
I have set a goal. To have a car that will get 65+mpg,run 10.5@135mph in the 1/4 or faster,be able to go 600+miles on a tank of gas and not have to worry about breaking down,be able to run gasoline or E85 (Flex Fuel). pass my local emissions and all this for $6000.00 or less invested.

You're welcome, I am very happy that I motivated you to get to your goal, that's what friends are for. I see that your goals set very high, but I usually follow simple rule,

Price, Speed, Reliable <-------- You can only pick 2.

So what do you have thats special. Car, Engine, transmission, performance mods, and how fast is it?
I don't have anything special, it's just a toy, it ran 132mph in a quarter, runs on 87 octane, n/a for now, gets 30mpg, and I have $3500 in it.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
If my 3.8L was making 900rwhp you do realize that it'll go much faster and quicker than your fwd honda with 450whp right? So it wouldn't be equivalent first of all. Second of all, my mustang is my dd, I do not need 900rwhp to get from point a to point b. Third of all, if I wanted to make 900rwhp I wouldn't want to modify 3.8L just like I wouldn't modify honda motors, for a simple reason, too expensive, there are better/cheaper ways to make that kind of power.
900/3.8=236.8 HP/Liter, 150HP/Cylinder
450/1.6=281.25 HP/Liter, 112.5 HP/Cylinder

Of course a your Horse would beat the Honda at these power levels; there is more to be considered than power here, though. Regardless of what you think, from an engineering point of view (the important POV, which lacks judgement based on distaste for certain views/preferences), it's still impressive, to say the least.

900 BHP in a 3.8 is comparable to 450 BHP in a 1.6.

If it's not, then maybe my 4 month old son should be able to lift 230lbs like I can? I mean, he's still human, right? Just like his dear old dad? That's exactly what you're saying when you act like 450 HP in a D16 isn't an impressive number. You're saying that Honda's small displacement engines aren't capable of making comparable power, and it's simply not true.

At power levels that high in a street driven vehicle, your Fast, Cheap, Reliable question is blown out of the water, anyway. I don't care how much money you have available to spend on it, reliabiliy becomes relative in a high HP street car.

To the question of E85, and why one would want to use it, it can handle much higher combustion pressures and temperatures without detonation. It has an apparent octane level higher than some race fuels. It's reasonable to think that you could have 14:1 dynamic compression ratios while still running boost, and not get detonation with a proper tune and timing curves.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

truck - '96 ford ranger
Quote:
900/3.8=236.8 HP/Liter, 150HP/Cylinder
450/1.6=281.25 HP/Liter, 112.5 HP/Cylinder

900 BHP in a 3.8 is comparable to 450 BHP in a 1.6.

At power levels that high in a street driven vehicle, your Fast, Cheap, Reliable question is blown out of the water, anyway. I don't care how much money you have available to spend on it, reliabiliy becomes relative in a high HP street car.

To the question of E85, and why one would want to use it, it can handle much higher combustion pressures and temperatures without detonation. It has an apparent octane level higher than some race fuels. It's reasonable to think that you could have 14:1 dynamic compression ratios while still running boost, and not get detonation with a proper tune and timing curves.
900hp/3000lb, and 450hp/2300lb. 3.33lbs per hp vs 5.11lbs per hp, it's simple math. 3.33lbs per hp will outrun 5.11lbs per hp, that's what I meant by not comparable.

I know exactly what e85 does, and it's high octane, it's good stuff, it's just easier to use meth kit. get some low comp pistons and you won't have to worry about detonation. Back in the day I was running 18psi on 93 octane and 27psi on meth with intercooler, I blew a head gasket once I believe, but that was it, ran it that way for 3 years and 50xxx miles, the motor had 170xxx miles on it when I started modding it, to this day it still runs good in my buddies car with well over 300xxx miles on it, but he doesn't run more than 10psi though.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
900hp/3000lb, and 450hp/2300lb. 3.33lbs per hp vs 5.11lbs per hp, it's simple math. 3.33lbs per hp will outrun 5.11lbs per hp, that's what I meant by not comparable:rolleyes:.

I know exactly what e85 does, and it's high octane, it's good stuff, it's just easier to use meth kit. get some low comp pistons and you won't have to worry about detonation. Back in the day I was running 18psi on 93 octane and 27psi on meth with intercooler, I blew a head gasket once I believe, but that was it, ran it that way for 3 years and 50xxx miles, the motor had 170xxx miles on it when I started modding it, to this day it still runs good in my buddies car with well over 300xxx miles on it, but he doesn't run more than 10psi though.
Great, now consider gearing and aerodynamics, both of which will slow you down considerably when not given as part of that equation.

The whole point wasn't to say that a domestic couldn't beat an import, or vice versa. The point was that you seem to think that making BIG POWER with LITTLE ENGINE is somehow not as impressive as the Mustang that everyone has seen, is familiar with, is tried and true, tested and bested, time and time again.

Meth injection isn't any easier than running E85 once the system is setup. Dual map ECU (can be done with OEM parts), and pulling a plug, then adding fuel? What's so difficult about filling up and flipping a switch?

Why would you want low-comp pistons when you can get more power and better efficiency at higher dynamic compression ratios? Do you even know the difference between static compression and dynamic compression?

Alright, fine, I'll agree with you - there is no comparison. The Honda would be a marvelous sight, while the same old Mustang would just be the same old Mustang.

By the way, I don't remember the OP setting forth a goal to specifically beat any type of car while racing... I think he said something along the lines of 10.xx @ xxx in the 1/4 mile... Where does that require a discussion about how a Mustang with X hp could beat his car?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

truck - '96 ford ranger
Quote:
Great, now consider gearing and aerodynamics, both of which will slow you down considerably when not given as part of that equation.

The whole point wasn't to say that a domestic couldn't beat an import, or vice versa. The point was that you seem to think that making BIG POWER with LITTLE ENGINE is somehow not as impressive as the Mustang that everyone has seen, is familiar with, is tried and true, tested and bested, time and time again.

Meth injection isn't any easier than running E85 once the system is setup. Dual map ECU (can be done with OEM parts), and pulling a plug, then adding fuel? What's so difficult about filling up and flipping a switch?

Why would you want low-comp pistons when you can get more power and better efficiency at higher dynamic compression ratios? Do you even know the difference between static compression and dynamic compression?

Alright, fine, I'll agree with you - there is no comparison. The Honda would be a marvelous sight, while the same old Mustang would just be the same old Mustang.

By the way, I don't remember the OP setting forth a goal to specifically beat any type of car while racing... I think he said something along the lines of 10.xx @ xxx in the 1/4 mile... Where does that require a discussion about how a Mustang with X hp could beat his car?
You're the one bringing a mustang into this equation, not me, I am just comparing 2 cars with 900hp and 450hp, I already told you, my toy is not a mustang.

I said you could run low comp pistons so you can get away with using pump gas and meth.

Let me explain, filling up and flipping a switch is not as easy as just flipping a switch, I don't know how to explain this to you, it takes less calories to flip a meth kit switch then filling a tank with e85 and flipping a switch, I hope you get this one

Last edited by nemesis; 10-05-2009 at 11:24 PM..
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
You're the one bringing a mustang into this equation, not me, I am just comparing 2 cars with 900hp and 450hp, I already told you, my toy is not a mustang.

I said you could run low comp pistons so you can get away with using pump gas and meth.

Let me explain, filling up and flipping a switch is not as easy as just flipping a switch, I don't know how to explain this to you, it takes less calories to flip a meth kit switch then filling a tank with e85 and flipping a switch, I hope you get this one
Making it more clear - his intention was not to beat ANYTHING specifically. Now do you get it?

Quote:
I made 535rwhp with meth no problem, oh I guess it's a honda thing
Hm... who started what?

Methanol injection requires tuning above and beyond just making a specific power level. If you disagree, that's fine, but I would then have to seriously doubt all of your claims.

It's not as simple as some people would like to make it seem, where you just pop a spray nozzle into your intake and fill up with washer fluid.

Quote:
Oh ok, I see guys like you at the track once in a while, they tell you they can beat you with their high tech v-tech bi-turbo honda that has $30k invested in it, so you beat them with your low tech $4k car, and then they tell you that their ride gets better gas mileage
Once again - who was starting what?

You made assumptions about the OP based on information you didn't have about his personality, reasons for doing things, etc.

The funniest thing about it is that he's not the one arguing with you. And I'm done, since you obviously don't get it. Have a great night, though!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

truck - '96 ford ranger
Quote:
Making it more clear - his intention was not to beat ANYTHING specifically. Now do you get it?

Hm... who started what?

Methanol injection requires tuning above and beyond just making a specific power level. If you disagree, that's fine, but I would then have to seriously doubt all of your claims.

It's not as simple as some people would like to make it seem, where you just pop a spray nozzle into your intake and fill up with washer fluid.

Once again - who was starting what?

You made assumptions about the OP based on information you didn't have about his personality, reasons for doing things, etc.

The funniest thing about it is that he's not the one arguing with you. And I'm done, since you obviously don't get it. Have a great night, though!
I don't care about his personality, I thought meth kit would work better for him, if he doesn't think so, it's fine, e85 it is. I just stated my opinion, that is all. I had a great conversation with him, I like his goals, I'll be watching his build.

Reply  Post New Thread