Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Newbie w/1996 Tercel

Hello,

In the past I have had a fair amount of trouble due to "lead-foot-itis" and just recently got my license back. In an effort to stay out of trouble I bought myself a 1996 tercel 2dr 4spd for $750 the car is solid @205K but needed a clutch which was included (installation required).

I installed a new clutch kit, flywheel, rear main, axle shafts, full syn tranny fluid, and plugs over the weekend.

The first mods being just maintaince issues which I have done most of execpt for the K&N filter.

The second mod I am considering would be going from the 34 psi to 50 or 55 psi. I have the 155/70/13's which I think are preferred for better mpg. My concern would be life of the tire, I have always been told over/under inflation will greatly reduce life. Will I be killing my tires by 50% +/-

Can I remove the belt for my power steering and get the same feel as if I removed the pump and tied the 2 ports together on the rack? Will I hurt the pump w/no belt but still plumbed?

Currently the A/C is not too useful, not sure if it requires a basic recharge or more repair. I will gladly remove the belt if it helps with MPG, but my question is what is the MPG value of removing it completely from the car. Does anybody know the weight savings of removing the A/C?

I dunno MPG yet, I am only on the first fillup, but I know it is way better then my 4Runner.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
When I pulled the AC and power steering from my car, it took about 50 pounds off. Not sure how big a Tercel's AC compressor would be.

If your car had manual steering as an option, I suggest going to a junkyard and pulling a used steering rack to swap, then remove the power steering system entirely.

On the side of your tire, it'll show the max inflation pressure next to the max load. I'd inflate them to max, but not beyond. I run my tires at 50 PSI.
stylus (09-15-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
At speed, power steering that isn't being run by the pump is no problem. It will be heavier, significantly heavier than with the belt on, but nothing unmanageable. But at very low speeds, e.g. parking or beginning a turn at an intersection, it is extremely heavy and possibly dangerous. If you can find an unassisted steering rack, switch to that.

Figure saving about 35lbs if you pull all your AC equipment. Please take the time to have it pumped down properly by a licensed tech. If you tell them you don't want any work done, just to have the refrigerant removed, they may do the work for nothing, just to have the refrigerant. That stuff ain't cheap. If the other components are in working order, you may be able to sell them, but don't hold your breath. 96 Tercels are getting scarce.

You'll be blown away at how much space there is under the hood once you pull the power steering and AC equipment. Filter-dryers, fluid reservoirs, belts etc all takes up a lot of space and gets hard to look at.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
stylus (09-15-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Just got done with a really quick peek, it seems you can find new manual steering gear for your year and model: 1996 Toyota Tercel Manual Steering Rack from Car Steering Wholesale

Maybe I should see if they have that for my truck.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
stylus (09-15-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site. I have a very similar car, the Paseo (same engine, similar chassis). The Tercel is good for an easy 40+ MPG simply with the use of a few good driving techniques. Its good for more with more work. FYI I still have power steering and AC.
stylus (09-15-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
I have a 97 Mazda Protoge with 1.5L. I did the belt thing first to try see how the steering was before removing the pump and connecting the rack input to the output.
I measured the PS at 19 lbs and A/C at a total of 45 lbs with everyting removed. My other two vehicles don't have PS so I'm use to using two hands to turn the wheel to park.

With the A/C and P/S off I also removed the outer pully on the crankshaft. So in rotating mass I figured I got rid of 6lbs.

I also got the little cigarette lighter heater/defroster/fan for the winter. It gives me a little patch of clear windshield while I creep out of the neighborhood.

Good Luck and welcome
The Following User Says Thank You to busypaws For This Useful Post:
stylus (09-15-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks elhigh I found that same website when I was looking around for the manual rack. They have a core charge which would be a pain buying online cause you have to ship back. There is actually used ones on ebay right now $75 + $40 ship.

I am not afraid of non-power steering, my first "car" was a 78 Jeep CJ5 with 33x12.5 mud tires and no power steering. The tires were so heavy I actually bent steering linkage when off-roading.

Busypaws Thanks for the information I would think that the components in the Tercel probably are about the same size/weight as the protoge. I have not looked at the crank pully in my car yet if I go down the road of removing those components a lighter crank pully would be a very nice bonus.

Daox I looked at your paseo on the garage page, makes me think that removing the creature comforts may not be required if you still have a/c and p/s. I have done a lot of "performance" mods including suspension drops in the past, I think I am going to stay away from that for now but I might try some of the less ugly aero type mods. I am looking for an oem cover for a pass side mirror delete. Alot of cars come factory w/out pass side mirror dunno if any of these simular chassis's did.

40+ should be no problem, my driving habits need to change or else I won't be driving period.

Reply  Post New Thread