Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So all that has been done here is aero tricks and coasting??

I was hoping for more.

Oh well.

Rich

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
Third I thought I was asking this question on a site that deals with making MPG, making changes that make MPG.
Hey, welcome to Ecomodder! We do make changes to improve MPG. If you search and read a bit, you will find that HHO has been thoroughly debunked, increased tire pressure has been shown to greatly improve MPG, and the biggest MPG mod you can make is driving something a little smaller (EDIT: Diesel Dave, you stay out of this!). Is there any possibility of trading in the land yacht for something else?

Anyway there's no magic bullet here, just lots of scattershot: small changes which add up to a bigger improvement.

I understand you are frustrated, but nobody here is going to say "just add a hydrogen generator and get 83,734% better fuel economy." If you spend some time getting familiar with the hypermiling tips and use those which are most applicable, you might find that they improve your mileage quite a lot--and mid-30s in something that big is already pretty impressive.

Final note: My old Ford used to stay high-revved in neutral at speed. It's a Ford thing.

~Matt

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White

Last edited by Flakbadger; 09-09-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks but I am not a newbe..been around on and off for a few years.

I have been testing a few of the MPG devices..and did some 14 cars with HHO and got two really insane improvements...

But over all these seem to be flukes.

So at this time I know I cannot do ANY thing with German made computers, and it looks like nearly nothing with USA made ECUs but am starting to think Japan made ECUs are open to changes.

As for can it be done?? Read this:

50+ MPG Cars Prohibited in the U.S. and Canada | 2012 The Big Picture

Mind blowing...

A few years ago Top Gear from England did a driving challenge where the three hosts were sent into Europe to buy three cars and then drive them 740 miles on ONE TANK OF GAS!!!

Two of the cars were enco models rated at (Really) 75 MPG and 56 MPG and one Jag was rated at 35MPG. I believe all three were diesels.

Any way all three MADE the trip without running out of gas!!!

I also know that 1980s Camaros with tuneport injection with a Easter egg in the ECU turned on were able to get 35 MPG...(the Easter egg was a special lean burn cruse setting...) I bet with a few tricks like higher gearing and some super tuning they might even get 40MPG...

So I know it can be done, what I am hoping that it can be reto fitted to other cars.

I was hoping people on this site had done more...

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
Hey, welcome to Ecomodder! We do make changes to improve MPG. If you search and read a bit, you will find that HHO has been thoroughly debunked, increased tire pressure has been shown to greatly improve MPG, and the biggest MPG mod you can make is driving something a little smaller (EDIT: Diesel Dave, you stay out of this!). Is there any possibility of trading in the land yacht for something else?

Anyway there's no magic bullet here, just lots of scattershot: small changes which add up to a bigger improvement.

I understand you are frustrated, but nobody here is going to say "just add a hydrogen generator and get 83,734% better fuel economy." If you spend some time getting familiar with the hypermiling tips and use those which are most applicable, you might find that they improve your mileage quite a lot--and mid-30s in something that big is already pretty impressive.

Final note: My old Ford used to stay high-revved in neutral at speed. It's a Ford thing.

~Matt

Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
A lot of us stick with simple things. As mentioned, aerodynamic changes, gearing, more elbow grease than messing with ECUs. You are welcome to do some searches, which surely you are familiar with seeing your experience here (since 2009, impressive!).

Some recent ECU tuning showing great results can be seen here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ild-26722.html

I understand you have high expectations, but your writing seems like it has a tone that we are ignorant, or under performing. From what you've written, it is clear you have experience with driving efficiently, and experimenting with different cars- but you may experience hostility with a more hostile tone. A lot of us, specifically mentioning me, want a mod that will pay for itself. My grille block isn't made of platinum, it's made of coroplast and weather sealant.

I don't mess with tuning because of my warranty. Others for other reasons. We all want to help get each other get better fuel economy, but we try to do that in a friendly environment, too.

And as much as I love Top Gear, over the years, they have done a lot of things that are either clearly scripted, or sabotage themselves. I take their performance as entertainment with cars, more than factual information.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (09-10-2013), pgfpro (09-09-2013), shovel (09-10-2013), UFO (09-16-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you read the answers I received you might understand my slight lean toward less than happy..responses.

Thanks for the link BUT it is for a pre-OBII car and a import and already a enco car as well...

So I guess there is no help here...

Tell you what I will be looking into gas vapor next and if I get a working system I come back and tell you guys about it.

Projection is 100 to 200 MPG.

Rich

Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
If you read the answers I received you might understand my slight lean toward less than happy..responses.

Thanks for the link BUT it is for a pre-OBII car and a import and already a enco car as well...

So I guess there is no help here...

Tell you what I will be looking into gas vapor next and if I get a working system I come back and tell you guys about it.

Rich
I don't know of any 400+ horsepower cars that also get that kind of fuel economy. I am guessing enco means economy- not being snide, a genuine guess, I haven't heard that term before, but Talons have never seemed like they are real gas savers (probably the same thing people say about the Mustang lol). Because alternate mods like that have such mixed results, it usually ends up in the Unicorn Stall until the performance is proven in multiple scenarios and different vehicles.

And I get your response about tone, but fighting fire with fire just burns everyone. At least if we fake a smile, , and act polite, it makes the person still being hostile be the person at fault. Please document your findings and methods in detail, because if you get it to work wicked well, we will be interested

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.

The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:

Rich
Indeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
UFO (09-16-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
So all that has been done here is aero tricks and coasting??

I was hoping for more.

Oh well.

Rich
Pretty much just aero tricks and coasting. A little bit of math and physics but that isn't very important as it seem to just limit our desired advancements.

What can you teach us? Are you saying the computers are hobbled and we just need to unlock the Easter eggs? Why would the auto companies that are now challenged with finding high MPG do this?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I will.

My 300 HP Car does get 30MPG so it is not too far fetched.

I was disappointed to get such answers, I really thought people here had done more.

The thing is even car makers admit that only 20% of the fuel put into your engine make HP, the rest is wasted, some burn after the power stock some burn on its way out of the engine and what is left is burned by the cat.

Problem is ONLY the gas VAPOR that is made during the compression and power stock is able to make power.

NOW IF you can convert the gas to vapor and only use what is needed for power ( the 20%) what will you get??

A 80% in savings. so 80% X say 30MPG = 150MPG?

Rich

Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)