Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #281 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
Thanks man! I appreciate it. It was a great birthday. Love me some mexican food!

You under-rate yourself! Try this contractor paper stuff. I really like working with it. Makes the mock-up process a good bit easier than trying to work with cardboard (first).
Thanks bro! nice hat and happy birthday!

The Following User Says Thank You to vrmouseyd15b For This Useful Post:
OG VX (02-24-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #282 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Update 2/24/2015- Rear End Aero; Part Two: Cardboard Mock-Up

Hello all,

Rather unexpectedly, A BLIZZARD hit NC today (.75 inches). After passing two accidents on my way to work today (yeah, we are pathetic in the snow), I turned around and came home until lunch. Gave me just enough time to complete mocking up my rear-end aero work!! I completed my templates on the aforementioned contractor’s paper, then transferred my designs to cardboard.

Below is the process pics and results.

Heavy cardboard needed heavy-duty scissors.

Great view from inside. The Kammback appears to have a minimal effect against visibility.

As you can see, things are still really dirty for now! Some more tweaks are needed here and there...

I designed the set up so that the rear hatch is still completely accessible, and when the Kammback and the hatch come back down after being accessed, the Kammback joins the sides and completes the finished aero piece. Plexiglass will be riveted into place to fill in the tail lights recessions. Also, the Kammback will all be one-piece, not two. I just didn't have enough cardboard to make the mock-up version out of one seemless piece.

I haven’t put it back on the aero-template yet, but judging by my initial rendering/illustration, the slope/angle of attack on the Kammback appears to be right on the money.

Before:

After:

The cardboard is still very loose on the sides in the above pics, and this is especially noticeable in the rear shot. The finished metal panels will be shaped and contoured to the body, so that those pieces are snug and don’t make the car look like an airplane from behind, ha!. Also, I have yet to fab up the rear lower diffuser (w/ splitters) that connects to the bottom of the bumper and both side panels. That will be fabbed up in cardboard asap.

Once the final touches are completed on all of the cardboard designs, I’ll start the metal and paint work. Finally, rivet nuts will then be installed on the body to button up the panels to, using stainless bolts and black anodized washers.

What do you guys think of this mock-up thus far?

Thanks for eco-tuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (02-25-2015), The donkey CRX (02-24-2015), vrmouseyd15b (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #283 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dino - '93 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 43.65 mpg (US)

White Shadow - '15 Toyota Prius C Two
90 day: 50.69 mpg (US)
Mock up looks great. Digging the paper first method As I had issues getting the rough shape with the cardboard. Can't wait for more updates!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #284 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I apologize in advance, but since I am forever 12 years old, I must say:

That looks like a Romulan Bird of Prey decided to "get intimate" with your car....

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
OG VX (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #285 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Looking good! What about those flexible rods that hold up a tent, for example, to hold your cardboard for final cuts? Maybe a fishing pole? Something with enough give to get the radius you want and still holds shape long enough to get good measurements?
Either way it's still cool. Keep it up!

Edit: passenger rear tire on your boss's truck looks a little low from here, dude!
Thanks,
Victor

OG VX (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #286 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Thanks dudes. Yeah, the design is a bit out there. Hopefully it will come together ok though, with some Milano red paint and black contours and trims. The black will likely just be Duplicolor Trim Paint. I prefer it's satin finish.

Nice idea with the fishing poles! The cardboard was mainly just to make sure that the shape is lining up. I think I will just trim some things here and there, add a small bit more of a rear edge to the lip of the kammback, and then move on to metal stage. The 20 guage should be easy enough to bend into shape, and unlike the cardboard, it should keep it's shape...

I do still need to do the lower diffuser. Also need to make a diffuser for the hood for the wipers. Was going to do that later, but mine has well go ahead and knock that out now. Got to get the front grille and fog cut outs done in metal also.

Man, so much left to do! ha
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #287 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Looks awesome man! Can't wait for it to come together.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluesteel93 For This Useful Post:
OG VX (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #288 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 2/28/2015- Some Leather, plus some more green. Plus some failures. :/

Howdy. I hope everyone is well. I had a pretty productive day today. Started off with some interior work.

I got a nice leather steering wheel wrap kit off of Ebay. Shipped in from the UK. REALLY good quality. Soft, “real deal” Italian-leather. The kit came with green stitching to fit my eco theme. During the project, I couldn’t resist carrying my green theme to one other area of the wheel as well. I Watched the tutorial video on YouTube from the seller, then got to work.

Wife took this pic. She was impressed by the skills presented. Passed me her pants to fix also.

Then, after studying the EK9 and DC5 wheels on Google Images a bit, this happened...

As I predicted, good/even coverage (was attempting to hide brush strokes), but the borders looked a good bit rough after the tape came off...

Nothing the Goo Gone wipes couldn’t take care of. I REALLY like these wipes! Awesome product.

After some wiping and one more round of spot painting with a fine tip brush= Much better!

For those wondering, I used the same “Painters Pen” that I used for the EcoModder shift knob in a previous post. I also used the same painting process. What I did was to draw/ “paint” with the pen onto a non-porous disposable surface (in this case, an aluminum baking pan), and then I used a model kit painting brush to collect the paint and paint it on to the “H” on the wheel. I did this because I like the color green for the painters pen, and didn’t feel like heading to the local hobby store to get a bottle of brush paint that may or may not have matched the shift knob.

Both pieces of the wheel together.

...and fitted back into the VX. “The Green Theme” continues. Still plenty more green yet to come!

I love the feel of the wheel now! It's a whole new feel, doesn't even feel or look like the old USDM Civic wheel to me. I wanted OEM, with SRS, but a bit of 'race car" spice in the mix also. I feel like that project was a win.

Here’s another win...I’ve been looking for an OEM EG bra. I found a bra on Ebay the other night, a FULL bra (hood + bumper; bumper piece not pictured here), OEM Honda, for ...get this: $65 shipped. DEAL! I couldn’t get my Paypal password plugged in fast enough, and it was on it’s way to Mooresville the next day. Needs some cleaning, especially on the “Civic” embroidery. I’ll take care of that asap.

Then, this started:

Unfortunately, I was issued a tremendously fail. Against my norm, I guestimated on the proper process with which to install it, and just MASSIVELY failed on my outcome. Oh, things got ugly. So, off it went and into the trash can. Fortunately, no permanent damage was done. Also, as my luck has it, the seller sent a new roll to me a few days ago, as both of us thought this one was lost in the mail. So, for it’s soon-to-arrive replacement, I’ll be sure to come more prepared, having properly studied, and I’ll BRING A FRIEND to help. Lord knows, I’ll never attempt a large vinyl install again without (at least) one pair of extra hands assisting me.

Another fail: a rock got the windshield on the highway Friday morning. The impact made a loud cracking noise, but I didn’t see any damage. I figured I had gotten away with one. But, then I noticed this later last night while on a date with my wife :/ I’ll see how long she holds before spreading further...

Well, that's how it goes. Ya' win some, ya' lose some!

Tomorrow’s plan- Rear End Aero: finish up the cardboard corrections, and then move into the metal-work phase. I’ll post another update soon.

Until then, thank YOU for eco-tuning in!

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
The donkey CRX (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 02:07 AM   #289 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Can I get the eBay seller you bought the steering wheel wrap from? I need to rewrap my Mustang steering wheel, along with the insights.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:16 AM   #290 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Love the bra! Skiddy's came in Thursday, but no center piece. Not happy. Nice detail on the wheel, too! I found a 96 hatch with rear pods (square style hatch pods) at the junkyard by my work! Were you looking? lemme know. .

Thanks,
Victor

OG VX (03-14-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread