Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
2000 Honda Insight Hybrid, good car with high miles

I need to stop finding stuff on CL. I can't afford it right now and if the IMA pack has 20k on it, it has life left.
I think part of the reason my prizm gets FE close to your HX's FE when I drive sanely dispite the fact that I lack anything but a grill block (on only some of the time) and aired up tires is the size of the tires, I have to multiply my mileage by 1.09 to get the actual mileage.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Anyway, I swapped the rims from the Civic to the Insight today and WOW! It looks sooooo much better! The tire size is bigger (185/65R14 instead of 185/60R14) but that's ok, these tires are just temporary until I can get some RE92's.
Probably a typo, but I believe the stock size is 165/65/14. If you stay with that size, you'll need to adjust your speedo and MPG up by ~4.5%.

I'm glad you found one! Cosmetically it might be in better shape than mine, from what I can see in your pictures. Looks geat.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
2000 Honda Insight Hybrid, good car with high miles

I need to stop finding stuff on CL. I can't afford it right now and if the IMA pack has 20k on it, it has life left.
I think part of the reason my prizm gets FE close to your HX's FE when I drive sanely dispite the fact that I lack anything but a grill block (on only some of the time) and aired up tires is the size of the tires, I have to multiply my mileage by 1.09 to get the actual mileage.
Well if you want my civic ill sell it to you for 2k. I just need to pay off my parents haha. It does need new tires and I took the rims off and put them on my Insight.

Anyway, I had a major mishap today that almost cost me hundreds. I'm not accustom to putting on the skirts so, I was doing 65mph and the drivers side one flew off ON THE FREEWAY and landed in lane @2 of 3. Someone is looking out for me. Because there was NO CARS on one of the busiest parts freeways out here. I slapped it into reverse, backed up, ran out and grabbed it. Now I have it facensed a lot better.

Oh yea, my mpg took a major hit, I'm hard pressed to get 50mpg in the city now. Then again I'm not trying very hard.

@Ecky, not a typo, the tires that were on the car when I bought it were the stated size. I know the stock size is 165/65R14 but yea. Came with 185/60R14.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
Now? Can't afford it, I've been putting together a compelling list of reasons why my dad needs to sell a motorbike that he never had the inner ear to ride and stumbling across insights like they are dodge neons (I have the tantalizing ability to stumble across ecocars when I can't afford them.)

Although, out of curiosity:
What is your steady state MPG at 65 MPH with AC on?

I've often pondered dropping a VX transmission in a civic with a blown transmission.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
Now? Can't afford it, I've been putting together a compelling list of reasons why my dad needs to sell a motorbike that he never had the inner ear to ride and stumbling across insights like they are dodge neons (I have the tantalizing ability to stumble across ecocars when I can't afford them.)

Although, out of curiosity:
What is your steady state MPG at 65 MPH with AC on?

I've often pondered dropping a VX transmission in a civic with a blown transmission.
Back when I had the HX rims and tires on there? Good question, somewhere around 50 though. There really isn't any flatground out here to do any consistent testing.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Back when I had the HX rims and tires on there? Good question, somewhere around 50 though. There really isn't any flatground out here to do any consistent testing.
I'm getting about 62-66mpg at 65MPH with the A/C on flat ground. When the stars align I can get 68mpg at 68MPH. Unfortunately, I can't cruise in lean burn with the A/C running on the highway, I have to cycle in and out of it to maintain more than 55. Until I get the drag down a little more, I can hardly cruise on the highway and stay in lean burn 100% of the time even without the A/C. I could really use some Potenzas and maybe a partial lower grille block, even something like a rear wiper delete might might make a signficant difference when it comes to staying in lean burn.

While I'm thinking about it, I'm coming to suspect that going into lean burn right at 75mpg might actually produce less power than normal burn at highway RPM, something like this chart I just made up:

I don't have any extended highway trips planned in the near future though, so I have no way of testing this right now.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'm getting about 62-66mpg at 65MPH with the A/C on flat ground. When the stars align I can get 68mpg at 68MPH. Unfortunately, I can't cruise in lean burn with the A/C running on the highway, I have to cycle in and out of it to maintain more than 55. Until I get the drag down a little more, I can hardly cruise on the highway and stay in lean burn 100% of the time even without the A/C. I could really use some Potenzas and maybe a partial lower grille block, even something like a rear wiper delete might might make a signficant difference when it comes to staying in lean burn.

While I'm thinking about it, I'm coming to suspect that going into lean burn right at 75mpg might actually produce less power than normal burn at highway RPM, something like this chart I just made up:

I don't have any extended highway trips planned in the near future though, so I have no way of testing this right now.
He was talking about in the civic. And what? I have no idea what you were talking get about with the mpg chart O.o.

Anyway, does anyone know of if it would be worth it to get insight rims or just keep the HX rims? I heard the HX rims were lighter, not sure if this is true.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
He was talking about in the civic. And what? I have no idea what you were talking get about with the mpg chart O.o.

Anyway, does anyone know of if it would be worth it to get insight rims or just keep the HX rims? I heard the HX rims were lighter, not sure if this is true.
Missed the part about the Civic, was in a hurry this morning. An idea about lean burn in the Insight formed though, namely that it feels like it produces less power when holding the pedal at a position that reads 75mpg in lean burn than at 75mpg out of lean burn.

I don't think the cost difference will be worth it so long as you put smooth covers over them.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Missed the part about the Civic, was in a hurry this morning. An idea about lean burn in the Insight formed though, namely that it feels like it produces less power when holding the pedal at a position that reads 75mpg in lean burn than at 75mpg out of lean burn.

I don't think the cost difference will be worth it so long as you put smooth covers over them.
Well I found a set of insight rims WITH brand new Re92's on them for 500$ so that's why I was asking.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Well I found a set of insight rims WITH brand new Re92's on them for 500$ so that's why I was asking.
I'd do it, the tires are about $90 each on their own, you could make a profit with the HX rims if you decided to sell them.

Reply  Post New Thread