Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

I confess I didn't read this entire thread, but I saw many videos about aircrete, including many from Gaia and their ideas. I'm sure they can make bricks, but Gaya said they can also cast large aircrete things, like a arc with a horizontal piece in the middle, to be the window of their dome. It was larger than 1,5 meter high. The problem is that I saw a guy on youtube testing many foam agents for aicrete, and none was able to cast large forms without the foam be reduzed, so it created a dense aircrete in the lower portiongs and a more fragile aircrete (less dense) in the upper portions.

Unless they cast the large pieces in many steps, like a layer placed in the mols, some time to dry a bit, and another layer, and so on until finish, I think they can't cast a entire large or tal piece and or a dome in one step, as one video proposed when they talked about creat a large mold with interior art ornaments.

Anyway Gaia said that a special fabric and a layer of portaland cement, after place the bricks and the shapew of dome be ready, can solve the problem of brittle .
Gaia once in a video showed a mold to create curved shape bricks, and so reduce the needed amount of portland portland cement layer to give the smooth finish ot the dome. But I never saw a video of they using these curved brick to create a dome, but just a video of the curved bricks made in the mold.

Last edited by All Darc; 04-19-2019 at 11:56 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_casting

Spin casting is done on a vertical axis for other reasons, but a mold that revolves slowly on a horizontal axis might prevent the settling you describe.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Spin cast it's not viable for large pieces for home building.

I refer about his video of Gaia aircrete casting :

https://youtu.be/SGaLOoFN0RU?t=229

See the large casting?
How keep to foam instact to a uniform final aircrete? I think it's impossible to fill the mold in a single procedure.
The curved bricks it's interesting, but I never saw any of their videos of workshop using it.

Hey... How much costs basic portland cement on USA?
I believe on Brazil the cost of portland cement it's about 55% than on USA. Need to confirm...
Aircrete could be a great cost saving building technic for Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_casting

Spin casting is done on a vertical axis for other reasons, but a mold that revolves slowly on a horizontal axis might prevent the settling you describe.

Last edited by All Darc; 04-20-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Old 04-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Yesterday I looked into how much it costs to build a house in Mexico. It seems like it costs as much to build there as it should here, but I recently read that it costs significantly more to build in the U.S. than just ten years ago. I also read that in Mexico they do not build with wooden frames, but out of bricks.

Are bricks cheaper there than wood?

I say that I am fluent in Spanish, but I do not have anywhere near the opportunities to practice that I want, and I do not see how I would pick up all of the common words otherwise. When I was in Basic another Spanish-speaking gringo asked the Spanish speakers "Would you just open your mouths when you speak?"

I have elitist Spanish. I can only understand educated Spanish speakers. I remember hearing a guy at Harbor Freight and thinking "That is Spanish, right?"

I did not understand a single word he said.

I speak Spanish, but I would not try to build a house in Mexico on my own. I wonder how long it would take to find a company willing to build according to my strange gringo ideas.

Meanwhile, fellow gringos would just say "Why don't you just build a frame house like everyone else?"

If Honey-Do Carpenter built a 12 x 16 shed for $1,000, that means that you should be able to build a 20 x 20 garage for less than I paid for my Civic.

If you built a house out of aircrete, would you make the interior walls out of the same stuff? You already have metal studs, which cost more than wood. How is this cheaper than wood and wall board?
Old 04-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

On Brazil we use mostly bricks and concrete, and wood just for the frame that holds the roof and for doors.
Wood it's not very cheap here, but I don't know the price of wood on USA.

Workmanship on USA it's high compared to Brazil, even if the home building workmanship for home building on Brazil had rise considerable in the last 12 years.

Brick house have good thermal insulation, and are safer in case of fire. But to lay bricks takes time, and also to layer the wall with finish in cement and a smooth finish in plaster. And time is $$$$...
It's so much cement, sand, earth, that they start to talk about recycle, get the walls piece, after home demolition, and crush it until became like sand particles, and use asm ingredient for new homes.

Here a 50kg bag of simple Portland cement costs 20 to 25 reals (5,12 to 6,1 dollars).
How much a bag of portland cement costs on USA ???

China uses a lot of bamboo instead of steel, for many buildings. Maybe aircrete could use bamboo strips inside the aircrete molds.

Last edited by All Darc; 04-20-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Old 04-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Spin cast it's not viable for large pieces for home building.
I was thinking more of bricks or blocks than whole buildings or components.

Instead of casting an whole arch, a three-hinged arch would be more manageable.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Bricks are small, so there is no problem of relevant diferences in density of aircrete along the top to the bottom.

How much costs a standart bag of portland cement on USA?

Bamboo reinforced concrete :

https://theconstructor.org/structura...ruction/15054/

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was thinking more of bricks or blocks than whole buildings or components.

Instead of casting an whole arch, a three-hinged arch would be more manageable.

Last edited by All Darc; 04-20-2019 at 04:09 PM..
Old 04-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
You would have to cast large pieces laying down in a mold, let them dry fully then hoist them vertical after the fact.

Handling a big piece that weighs thousands of pounds is likely not an at home proposition without some sort of hoist, crane or cantilever
Old 04-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Can we review what Aircrete is?
Old 04-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc
Bricks are small, so there is no problem of relevant diferences in density of aircrete along the top to the bottom.
Wiil Xist agree?

At Permalink #6 I suggested pumping aircrete through a nozzle in a 3D printer.

edit: Three minute difference. Don't you know more about aircrete than the rest of us?

'nuther edit: I posted this in another thread:

https://www.designboom.com/wp-conten...boom-600-1.jpg

There would be some cure time between passes of the print head. Maybe it could be followed by an infrared curing head to speed up the process.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-20-2019 at 09:15 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread