Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #31 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...simple two answers:

• two different drivers
• two different vehicles
• two different driving styles
• two different driving locations
• two different driving techniques
• two different traffic situations
• two different gasolines(?)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Alty-magnet - '06 Nissan Altima SE
90 day: 33.83 mpg (US)

maxi-magnet II - '12 Nissan Maxima S
Robchalmers, the instructions recommended changing the oil, but I did not as it was fairly clean and recently changed. I drove the maxima which has 90k for about 400 miles and it had been a little noisier running engine like a little rattling type vibration in engine. I was out driving and had stopped to do some shopping and came out to leave, I turned on the engine and it seemed like the transmission fell out, the engine was running smooth and quiet. I shut the car off to look on the ground to se eif there was any trans oil or sign of trouble. I didn't see anything so I started the engine and looked again on the ground and saw nothing. So I gingerly drove home hoping not to see a engine light go on. Well it was ok and the engine has run smoothly ever since.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Palemalasion, It's good You tried. There are many sizes,powers,configurations of magnets and there is difficulty knowing if the fuel is within the field of the magnet. I believe you will not see milage gains if you don't have an ECU or fuel injection.I will tell you the vehicles I have had luck with and maybe we can see what is in common with them.
97 nissan maxima
06 nissan altima
2004 mercury marquis
1995 ford 351 auto pu truck
2-2005 s/10 type pu truck
2005 buick suv
the easiest to install on are vehicles with rubber fuel lines.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I don't think anyone here is convinced that you "had luck" with the magnets. Placebo effect maybe, but you can't suggest PaleMelanesian"did it wrong" when you did the testing wrong in the first place. I guarantee that I trust PaleMelanesian to do a proper job, you should see the kinds of records he keeps. I don't know you from adam, but you seem pretty sloppy with the theory, the methods, the reporting, and the conclusions.

Please read/re-read the link about testing: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ery-11445.html
Weather Spotter (08-06-2010)
Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo434 View Post
Consider that there is no electricity in the floor, but if you slide your feet across carpet you have electricity.
Obviously somebody wasn't paying attention in high school science class :-) In fact, the floor is full of electricity - as is everything else. Remember those pictures of atoms with electrons flying around the nucleus? So what happens (simplisticly) when you slide your feet across the carpet is that you scrape some of the carpet electrons off onto your feet. You're not creating anything, you're just using the energy of your moving foot (which came from food you ate, and so ultimately from the sun) to pull electrons and nucleii apart. Then they snap back together suddenly, creating a spark.

Same with magnets: a piece of iron will be attracted to the magnet and jump to it, but then it takes exactly as much energy to pull the nail away again. It's a conservative force.

Quote:
I followed the instructions and when I changed the oil it was pitch black and full of carbon chunks.
Oh? And exactly what was your oil filter doing while all those chunks were floating around?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
The PRC.

hondo434 it may be worth entering your history into the fuel log and then everyone can see what you see. It may also be worth monitoring what happens now the magnets are out - I think you said they are out now ?

It may also be worth checking out the other modifications that people recommend and see if you can get some other gains with those.

Any gain is positive, its just we question whether it is what you think it may be, and whether we can reuse it ourselves.

So start your fuel log and stick around to let us know about any other mods and success you have. If you are over 'EPA' (or any official figures) then thats good. The key thing is to keep it up.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Jamesqf, That's a good question. how did the chunks get in the oil.i don't know. I would love to have an answer for that question.
I would love to be able to provide all the data that this board requires. My dilemma is I have no way to do it. I have been trying to accumulate some type of data for a year now, but I don't do enough driving to get any amount of data. My wife drives the altima to work ,so I don't have any control over that car, and I only drive the Maxima a few miles a week to the grocery store. Last year we took the Maxima to Syracuse and that is the only time we drove it on the highway. I am asking the help of this board. I would like to find a member who has similar vehicles to me that can drive the miles needed to collect enough data to satisfiy the board. I can provide the magnets to a trusted board member. They should have the same vehicles preferably Nissan with ECU and fuel injection that I have used to match my experiment. If the board can help it would be appreciated
Old 08-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #38 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

well shoot, just build/buy/steal a mpguino so you can test for yourself. and like the link says, use average mpg over the same course/conditions/speed/direction.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

dcb, What does a mpguino do?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

it keeps track of how long the injector are open (@ low microsecond resolution) vs closed and can count distance tics from the vehicle speed sensor too. And displays instant and a couple averages, translated to various permutations of gallons/miles/time for display.