Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
As Ecomodders, we really don't need to go above the speed limit unless we are coasting into a lower speed zone.
Simply not true, if you are going for max fuel economy. As for instance, one road I drive on often (lightly travelled, limit 50 with most people doing close to 60) has a fairly small hill. If I start up it at 50-ish, my speed will drop to about 45 at the top, then if I let off the gas, I'll be back to 60 by the time I reach the bottom. So if I hit the brakes to maintain legal speed down the hill, then I'm wasting fuel.

Then there are all the real hills hereabouts, where I can easily get up to 85+ while in gear and getting some regen too.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Simply not true, if you are going for max fuel economy. As for instance, one road I drive on often (lightly travelled, limit 50 with most people doing close to 60) has a fairly small hill. If I start up it at 50-ish, my speed will drop to about 45 at the top, then if I let off the gas, I'll be back to 60 by the time I reach the bottom. So if I hit the brakes to maintain legal speed down the hill, then I'm wasting fuel.

Then there are all the real hills hereabouts, where I can easily get up to 85+ while in gear and getting some regen too.
Valid.

I live in a flat area. The only way to get above the speed limit is to use the gas pedal.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Radar detectors don't always detect as they should. Also, in Virginia, they are illegal.
ROTFL!!! That's why Virginia made them illegal. Because they DO work. Also, the law is unconstitutional. You have a right to receive radio signals, and a radar detector is basically a signal receiver. All the other states that had such laws "saw the handwriting on the wall" and repealed them. I recall reading that the reason why they are still illegal in Virginia is because every time a legal challenge is brought by a lawyer, the courts drop the citation for the detector, so that their law remains on the books and not struck down by a higher court.

I won't be moving to Virginia - ever, due to things like this. Not that I speed very often, but living in a police state doesn't appeal to me.
Quote:
As Ecomodders, we really don't need to... (etc.)
That does sound a bit preachy, doesn't it? I guess I'm not a devout ecomodder...
Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
It's only preachy, condescending, and patronizing if it isn't your P.O.V.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
ROTFL!!! That's why Virginia made them illegal. Because they DO work. Also, the law is unconstitutional. You have a right to receive radio signals, and a radar detector is basically a signal receiver. All the other states that had such laws "saw the handwriting on the wall" and repealed them. I recall reading that the reason why they are still illegal in Virginia is because every time a legal challenge is brought by a lawyer, the courts drop the citation for the detector, so that their law remains on the books and not struck down by a higher court.

I won't be moving to Virginia - ever, due to things like this. Not that I speed very often, but living in a police state doesn't appeal to me.

That does sound a bit preachy, doesn't it? I guess I'm not a devout ecomodder...
I don't care if they work or not. I just learned to drive the speed limit and I won't need a radar detector.

And you mentioned a lawyer. So now, I get a radar detector and get caught, go to court after paying my lawyer, etc, etc. I just spent how much time and money on something because I wanted to speed? Lawyers are expensive.

I don't know what you are. But, when thinking of Eco friendly people, do you think of people that are getting speeding tickets?

This is a public forum that you chose to come into, so you get to read everyone's opinion. I have one, like everyone else.

Last edited by sarguy01; 08-01-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
I don't care if they work or not. I just learned to drive the speed limit and I won't need a radar detector.

And you mentioned a lawyer. So now, I get a radar detector and get caught, go to court after paying my lawyer, etc, etc. I just spent how much time and money on something because I wanted to speed? Lawyers are expensive.
You are good at constructing hypothetical negative fantasies. Apparently you have the mindset that supports radar detectors being kept illegal in VA. Thank God your state is a minority of ONE.

Quote:
I don't know what you are. But, when thinking of Eco friendly people, do you think of people that are getting speeding tickets?
Do I need always to be of the "Eco friendly" religion to participate on this discussion list? What is your problem with reading my dissenting opinion? BTW, in starting this thread the OP asked how he could mitigate the ticket that he already got. He didn't ask for lectures about how he should never go over the speed limit.

Quote:
This is a public forum that you chose to come into, so you get to read everyone's opinion. I have one, like everyone else.
Yes, I get to read it and I also get to respond to it if I choose. No one is denying you the opportunity to speak your piece. But in a forum that is open you must tolerate responses with which you disagree. It seems you want this forum to be one in which only the "Eco friendly" dogma is allowed to be said, as determined by a consensus. That's intolerance - and it's starting to sound like ecomodding is a religion with proclaimed sins.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
You are good at constructing hypothetical negative fantasies. Apparently you have the mindset that supports radar detectors being kept illegal in VA. Thank God your state is a minority of ONE.

Do I need always to be of the "Eco friendly" religion to participate on this discussion list? What is your problem with reading my dissenting opinion? BTW, in starting this thread the OP asked how he could mitigate the ticket that he already got. He didn't ask for lectures about how he should never go over the speed limit.

Yes, I get to read it and I also get to respond to it if I choose. No one is denying you the opportunity to speak your piece. But in a forum that is open you must tolerate responses with which you disagree. It seems you want this forum to be one in which only the "Eco friendly" dogma is allowed to be said, as determined by a consensus. That's intolerance - and it's starting to sound like ecomodding is a religion with proclaimed sins.
Are you done yet?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Are you done yet?
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what you might or might not say in response.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
A.D.D. kicking in.... getting sleepy. Soooo sleepy....

Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what you might or might not say in response.
Nothing. It isn't worth it.

I just looked at your " view member's posts". You have extreme views and I don't care enough to argue with you.

Reply  Post New Thread