Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

Ohn, I got now... it was the geat for the steering wheel...
Formula-1 cars move the steering wheel not to full revolution, despite habe tire quite large in wifth and with great aderense. How is possible ? Hidraulics ?

A lightweight electric solar car probably don't need much help of a gear to get a light feel for the steering wheel.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #62 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Formula-1 cars move the steering wheel not to full revolution, despite habe tire quite large in wifth and with great aderense. How is possible ? Hidraulics ?
I don't know the exact reason why, but in Formula 1 it might also have to do with all those buttons mounted at the steering wheel. Well, it could become quite confusing to find them while doing multiple turns at the steering wheel, plus it requires quicker reactions while cornering at speeds we usually don't dare to drive on the street...
Old 03-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Back to Morelli, and maybe it was already posted in this forum years ago, it's quite interesting to think about this "Morelli bike for 4 people" :

The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center

I wonder if the drag coefficient it's better than Aptera o Solarworld No.1

The problem is that the fixed wheel streamlined covers, probably don't allow much wheel moviment to the sides.

Maybe a Aptera car like, similar, could fit 4 people, if had in wheel electric motor, solar panels. And batteries somehwere else I can't figure yet... ;-)
Canned sardine mobile in a Morelli shape.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-01-2018 at 04:21 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-03-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I question the value of the reflex curves on the topside. They rob interior volume — notice how close that guy's knuckles are to the porthole. aerohead found little benefit to the reflexed extension when he took Baby Template to the Darko wind tunnel.

Here's a shape that I can scale from single-seater bellytank to motorhome sized. Much better interior volume, ingress/egress and sightlines.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

The curved in the width direction, right ?
That' why APtera was less curved on the top.

I wish a design nthat can have 0.1 drag coefficient or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I question the value of the reflex curves on the topside. They rob interior volume — notice how close that guy's knuckles are to the porthole. aerohead found little benefit to the reflexed extension when he took Baby Template to the Darko wind tunnel.

Here's a shape that I can scale from single-seater bellytank to motorhome sized. Much better interior volume, ingress/egress and sightlines.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #66 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
The problem is that the fixed wheel streamlined covers, probably don't allow much wheel moviment to the sides.
I'd also be concerned about the lack of air recirculation in the cabin, and the smell of the riders sweating while trying to use it in a sunny day.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

I was up to comment about that opened thing inside allowing see the tires... and say that in a street the car could pass over a piece of... and it splash inside.

But it could be fixed.
A fan or a small air vent could also be added. But look, it had a open space in the end of the "nail".

But I would prefer it a bit more broad, maybe maybe like Aptera.
I keep thinking what car have lower drag coefficient, this one (two front wheel and one in back) or the Solarworld No.1 (one front wheel and two in the back).

The rider in the back take space, and that are that carries them are a bit lower, near the ground, than the design of Aptera, despite the head of the back riders" be almost in the topmost area of vehicle.

The pedals it's interesting, if if think about a electric assisted car, like the Twike :

But Twike it's a bit heavy, and the pedals are not direct connected to the gear or the axis, but it moves a alternator the help recharge the battery.

I notice, among such Morellis's shape vehicles, the secret of Aptera's beauty was the design of the windshield and lateral windows, that made it look pretty and cool. It's a matter of sellect the area that would be covered by glass. The headlight design and rear windows also looks nice.
These few wise details is what saved it from be a typical Morelli's boring look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I'd also be concerned about the lack of air recirculation in the cabin, and the smell of the riders sweating while trying to use it in a sunny day.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-02-2018 at 08:26 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I was up to comment about that opened thing inside allowing see the tires... and say that in a street the car could pass over a piece of... and it splash inside.
Not to mention burns on the outside of their knees!

Quote:
I notice, among such Morellis's shape vehicles, the secret of Aptera's beauty was the design of the windshield and lateral windows, that made it look pretty and cool. It's a matter of sellect the area that would be covered by glass. The headlight design and rear windows also looks nice.
Technically the DLO, or DayLight Opening. Aptera improved quite a bit in that regard. The early prototypes were built as is done by Scaled Composites:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-e7a888eeb69c5053f196a2caad288518-c?convert_to_webp=true

Here's a picture of a four-wheel Aptera-like:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-aptera-6254-5.html#post231014

then there is this:

What's with the orange chest straps? Bruce McCall did a cartoon (that I can't find) about a small import economy car powered by a strap around the driver's chest.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

The Four wheel APtera was much worse than this..

It was created (project) to destroy the company, since they decided to abbandon the original and start a new one from zero, and the money just run off :

That's why many people said it was a sabotage commanded by oil industry or standart car manufacturers.

Uhnn... I imagined it was to more the vehicle left-right, but now that you pointed it.. Perhaps it's a pull/push wire to increase the speed. While one guy push to one direction, the other pull to another, increasing rotatiopn of the axi.
But if it's really this, who controlls direction ???

It's connected vey near the pedals, look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
then there is this:

What's with the orange chest straps? Bruce McCall did a cartoon (that I can't find) about a small import economy car powered by a strap around the driver's chest.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-02-2018 at 08:25 PM..
Old 03-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #70 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Notice that lever at the left-side of the rider seated at the left-hand front seat. I don't know what it does, but wouldn't be surprised if that happened to be a steering control.

Reply  Post New Thread