Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #151 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I'm not a pothead, but I wouldn't be unfavorable to hemp-based biofuels. Also, after extracting the textile fibers from the weed, some cellulosic leftovers could be used for ethanol production. In Europe there are some THC-free varieties of cannabis, used for industrial purposes. It's worth to note that cannabis was never forbidden in China, and is widely used for industrial purposes and even to reinforce concrete in buildings.
Isn't there a "conspiracy theory", that the reason marijuana was made illegal in the US was because the hemp plant was considered a threat to the cotton industry?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #152 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
If by "conspiracy theory" you mean historical fact, then yes. And paper.

The precipitating factor was the hemp decorticator described in Popular Mechanics in February, 1938. They really blind-sided the paint industry with the legislation.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:04 AM   #153 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
Anything that can use cellulose (even better with lignin) is potentially good because that is what makes up most of all terrestrial plants.
(...)
Yeast, consuming 6 Carbon sugars, are pretty much the best option at the moment, which, regardless of subsidies, is why that is the predominant biofuel.
So if we can make plants grow glucose instead of lignin that would change all.
We would no longer have to use food crop; any woodlike plant would do.
(gives a whole new meaning to Maple Syrup )

Once a plant has formed lignin it is pretty much useless as a biofuel source.
AFAIK there is no efficient way (yet) to obtain biofuel from delignification.
The Kraft process produces turpentine as a by-product, but apparently not efficiently enough to make it the primary reason for using that process.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #154 (permalink)
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
I think you have that backwards. The high surface area to volume ratio and that the combustion chamber is constantly moving into a new, cool, part of the engine means that Wankels are less prone to detonation than piston engines. This is one reason why they have promise - if any ICE does - for running on H2

The consequences of detonation in a Wankel may well be worse than it occurring in a piston engine.
My knowledge of Wankels is limited to Mazda stuff. Their Rotary have extra wide combustion chambers which are prone to hot spots similar to wide bore engines. They make their best power and efficiency at near pig rich mixtures.

The dual fuel Rotary concept by Mazda has greatly reduced power and range on H2. Hardly a successful approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

The precipitating factor was the hemp decorticator described in Popular Mechanics in February, 1938. They really blind-sided the paint industry with the legislation.
Similarly, high taxes enacted on Alcohol after the Civil war weren't repealed until the early 20th century. Then Prohibition in 1920 shut down many Distilleries and put pressure on Industrial Distilleries. People nowadays assume that alcohol consumption was illegal during Prohibition, but it wasn't. The law was specific to distillation and sales. Which basically undercuts the whole idea that it was supported by the Temperance movement.

I tend to think that a trade organization funded the whole ordeal. BTW, the mob didn't have any real power until after Alcohol sales were banned. But that's another silly notion of mine.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #155 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
The dual fuel Rotary concept by Mazda has greatly reduced power and range on H2. Hardly a successful approach.
That's true of any ICE running on H2 though. (I think H2, particularly in ICE's, is a non-starter in the alternative fuel race.)
Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #156 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
BTW, the mob didn't have any real power until after Alcohol sales were banned. But that's another silly notion of mine.
An look what that led to: Mixed drinks. With little umbrellas
Old 09-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #157 (permalink)
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Exactly. There is nothing wrong with being sophisticated. This topic needs more of it.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #158 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Isn't there a "conspiracy theory", that the reason marijuana was made illegal in the US was because the hemp plant was considered a threat to the cotton industry?
I don't know what was the reason for that move, but wouldn't it be easier for the cotton farmers to just start planting hemp?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #159 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

The real sad part was western native american tribes lost a large part of their livelyhood because it was really the only thing that could grow on their land with any sucess.

Very foolish we have continued a ban on industrial scale hemp, its one of the better foods, oils and makes good old fashioned rope.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #160 (permalink)
radioranger

anyone ever work with methane, it bubbles up everywhere from ponds etc, I know it;s hard to handle though .

Reply  Post New Thread