Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2023, 02:45 PM   #1171 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Thanks. Winco is further away than Grocery Outlet and there is more walking involved, but I could check there.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2023, 11:22 AM   #1172 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
My winco stopped stocking them due to lack of sales. I think the Sparks one in the land of Preppers does. They do online, so save yourself the walk.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:49 AM   #1173 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Mom wants me to apply to a dental school, says she would move with me, and sell the house.

All of these things are subject to change.

A.T. Still University is a school of Osteopathic Medicine in Mesa. Supposedly they have various and sundry programs, but I only hear people talk about their dental school.

I went there in before having my wisdom teeth removed August 18th of 2005 after the district benefits nazi tricked me out of dental benefits and suddenly I had tons of dental problems.

Curiously, the school opened in 2007.

I recently ran across a message I sent a friend a couple of years ago where I mentioned that A.T. Still was opening up an SLP program, but didn't consider the G.R.E.

There site gives out very little information, they answer most questions with "It varies from year to year."

What is the mean, median, mode, range, ballbark, etc?!

Give us some idea!

It was easy to find the tuition, though--$39,600 annually!

The usual corollary of "Have you considered applying to grad school?" is "Have you considered applying to an on-line program?"

Do people think that it is easier to get into on-line programs?

I was middle-aged and carefree! I moved close to school and had the GI bill. My only job was the Guard, so I didn't need to juggle schedules and responsibilities.

However, I only attended in-person because the GI bill would have paid half as much for an on-line program!

Who wants to attend in-person?!

I kind of do. I feel that I should make relationships and whatever, but I spent another 2 years at ASU, and didn't make any relationships.

I did better in my on-line classes, at least through ASU.

MUMU is garbage!

I figured that not nearly as many people would apply to a program this expensive, so I looked it up on the website for the American Speech & Hearing Association, and it says that 57 people applied last year, and Still made 49 offers.

That is 86%!

Midwestern has a campus in Glendale and they charge even more. Last year 157 people applied and they made 105 offers, which is 67%.

SLPDegreeFinder shows the SLP programs at the state schools and Midwestern. They say that NAU charges $27,000, UofA (the highest-ranked in the state) charges $31,500, ASU charges $39,500, and Midwestern charges $89,000, so Still charges about twice as much as the state schools--and 89% as much as Midwestern.

It is curious that Midwestern charges more and accepts fewer, but I do not know how accurate any of these numbers are, which is great.

They say that UofA accepts 21%, NAU accepts 29%, ASU accepts 33%, and Midwestern accepts 55%, which you may know is not 67%.

I have almost $17,000 in the bank and only owe taxes, but usually need to pay $5,000.

NAU says that the annual tuition and fees for 3 credits a term is $3,608, so I could have taken 6 classes.

Maybe I should have?

I earned 2 Cs and 4 C+s and have a total of 175 credits. In theory I could improve my GPA from 2.92 to 3.1, although I don't know I don't know how MUMU might mess up that.

I also attended a community college, so I would have 4 schools on my transcripts.

Anyway, Mom says that she and my brother would need to move with me so I could continue to take care of them, and she could help take care of him, but we would be near my sister and her family, and we had better be able to find a decent respite provider!

The cheapest site-built home I found within an hour is $290,000, and Zillow says that payments would be $1,801. The housing allowance would be $2,382, almost as much as I earn working for 2 agencies, and the mortgage payment alone would be over $2,000 more than I pay Mom.

I did a bunch more math, but there is a nice house, larger than Mom's, although the lot is about 60% as large, and they are asking $1,900 a month, and it is 12 minutes from Still.

How is that so close to the cost of the mortgage of a smaller house?!
Old 03-29-2023, 12:57 AM   #1174 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
TLDR, but my sense is you'd be great as a radiation oncology therapist. Some of them make close to 6 figures. You leave work at work, which is nice.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-29-2023, 01:27 AM   #1175 (permalink)
Not Doug

Good thing I edited that 5 times!

I don't know about that, man! Prefer Associate's and 1 year of experience, $79,040 starting pay, plus a bonus.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:46 PM   #1176 (permalink)
Not Doug

Mom said radiation therapists become sterile.

I needed to search very specifically to find results about the therapists having side effects, not the patients, but I found a list stating that astronauts were exposed to the most radiation, then flight attendants, radiation therapists, baggage screeners, military servicemembers maintaining nuclear reactors, mine workers, nuclear power plant workers, and pilots.

"Radiology technicians who were working before 1950 have an increased cancer risk[…] Since then, the risks have been greatly reduced. Thanks to improved work-related health standards, most regulations now cap the annual radiation exposure at 5 REM, about 10 times the average background radiation that we all receive annually."
We know 3 women in their thirties and forties with cancer, so arguably risks are excessively high for the general population.
It is like this was written by someone promoting radiation therapy and they specified 1950 to distract us from the rest. https://www.everydayhealth.com/pictu...-cancer-risks/
Old 03-29-2023, 01:19 PM   #1177 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I needed to search very specifically to find results about the therapists having side effects, not the patients, but I found a list stating that astronauts were exposed to the most radiation, then flight attendants, radiation therapists, baggage screeners, military servicemembers maintaining nuclear reactors, mine workers, nuclear power plant workers, and pilots.

"Radiology technicians who were working before 1950 have an increased cancer risk[…] Since then, the risks have been greatly reduced. Thanks to improved work-related health standards, most regulations now cap the annual radiation exposure at 5 REM, about 10 times the average background radiation that we all receive annually."
We know 3 women in their thirties and forties with cancer, so arguably risks are excessively high for the general population.
It is like this was written by someone promoting radiation therapy and they specified 1950 to distract us from the rest. https://www.everydayhealth.com/pictu...-cancer-risks/
Why are you researching your way out of not doing it?

The first people who started fooling around with ionizing radiation (Marie Curie) took no precautions because they didn't know they needed to. Practically every injury type was more common in the 1950s because they knew less then, and didn't have the safety culture of today's standards.

In the future, they will look back to the standards of today and think we were savages. Shooting ionizing radiation into someone as a therapy; that will look like bloodletting to them.

We wear dosimeters to track cumulative exposure and have access to the results. The therapists work outside of the treatment vault, and it is sealed by a several ton concrete door (the rest of the vault is thick concrete too). The gun is aimed laterally from the therapists, so they are never even in line with directed radiation.

The "10x background radiation" limit is simply that, the limit they decided was the threshold for safety. It doesn't mean therapists are all receiving the limit. I'd be surprised if they hit even 2x background on average.

While you're in research mode, look up "electron trees".

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-29-2023 at 01:29 PM..
Old 03-29-2023, 01:36 PM   #1178 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
look up "electron trees".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichtenberg_figure

Quote:
Radiology technicians who were working before 1950 have an increased cancer risk
In 1950 I was looking at my feet through a fluorocope at a shoe store.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Shoe-fitting_fluoroscope
Shoe-fitting fluoroscope - Wikipedia
Shoe-fitting fluoroscopes, also sold under the names X-ray Shoe Fitter, Pedoscope and Foot-o-scope, were X-ray fluoroscope machines installed in shoe stores from the 1920s until about the 1970s in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa, Germany and Switzerland. In the UK, they were known as Pedoscopes, after the company based in St. Albans that manufactured them.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:49 PM   #1179 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

They didn't use a linear accelerator back in the day, but instead radioactive material stored within the machine. As it decayed over the course of days and weeks, the amount of time to treat a patient had to increase to account for the reduced radioactivity to receive the correct dose. Eventually the radioactive source would have to be replaced.

Radioactive sources are still used in brachytherapy (I recommend not googling that one).

Old 03-29-2023, 02:28 PM   #1180 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Word of the day:
Quote:
https://www.interaction-design.org › literature › topics › affordances
What are Affordances? | IxDF - The Interaction Design Foundation
An affordance is what a user can do with an object based on the user's capabilities. As such, an affordance is not a "property" of an object (like a physical object or a User Interface). Instead, an affordance is defined in the relation between the user and the object: A door affords opening if you can reach the handle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (03-30-2023), redpoint5 (03-29-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread