Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #8001 (permalink)
Banned

Can people walking slow it down???
How, if people would still be in motion together with the station?
If thing on space worked like that, they would need no copmbustion propulsion, just a axis with a electric motor to spin thing.
On Space as it have no sustantion point to the force of spin, you have no way to change.

But let's supose you are right, it would be a matter of manage people flux from one direction to another, to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Bicycle wheel design is the way to go for a space station. But you would need some kind of propulsion to keep it spinning. Centripetal force will do a lot but people walking around inside it will slow it down over time.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #8002 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
With a full wheel, considering the mass of water and fuel and structure, everyone would have to run around the wheel in the same direction (until they tire).

Reduce the wheel down to it's minimum and you have two pods restrained by a cable (with cablecar?).

Old 12-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #8003 (permalink)
Banned

When they stop moving they release energy in oposition direction, and so the energy return to the wheel anyway.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #8004 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Assuming a rigid cable connection, the station would spin. You be weightless but dizzy.

However if the station and counterweight rotate around a common barycenter; the station and counterweight could be equal in mass , or not.
Ideally the counterweight would be as heavy as possible, so the living quarters are as far away from the rotation point as possible.

Instead of a cable it could be a long tube so stuff inside the counterweight could still be accessed easily (storage?). A cable is cheaper but a tube is more practical.

There is no way the rotation speed would gradually slow with people walking inside. The total rotating momentum is constant if no outside forces are applied. Astronauts moving toward or away from the center of gravity may temporarily speed up or slow down the stations rotation slightly, but it assumes its original speed when the astronauts return to their quarters.

There's a big problem however. Power.
You cannot aim a rotating space station at the sun. In half a year it would point in exactly the wrong direction as the station moves around the sun together with the earth, unless you work to change the axis of the rotation along with the trajectory. Maybe gyroscopes can do that, but then again I don't know about doing this on a grand scale.
You could also adjust the panels to the sun, but you don't want to do that continuously to compensate fro the station's own rotation.

The simplest solution would be to have solar panels in different directions, but they'd be way less efficient than panels that do point straight at the sun, and they may suffer from thermal stress by the ever changing direction of light.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 12-22-2019 at 04:02 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (12-22-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #8005 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Ideally the counterweight would be as heavy as possible, so the living quarters are as far away from the rotation point as possible.
With a small living quarters, the barycenter could be within the bigger object.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
[Search domain en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth-Moon_barycenter] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth-Moon_barycenter
This is the case for the Earth-Moon system, in which the barycenter is located on average 4,671 km (2,902 mi) from the Earth's center, well within Earth's radius of 6,378 km (3,963 mi).
Minimum of six cables in an hyperbolic paraboloid for a rigid structure under tension. Plus a Hyperloop tube for transiting?

Good point about the precession of it's orientation. Perhaps it would actually be a thick barrel shape with open ends and the unshielded parts in the inside.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #8006 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
Solar particle climate forcing is definitely going to be in the 2022 ipcc report, after 40 years of only taking into account the wavelength of UV light that changes the least.
So you guys have 2 more years before the church of man made global warming is burned to the ground.
Who's going to be in the church when it burns?

Also that UV irriadance I mentioned, turns out that a large portion was made up.
It appears that solar irradance was assumed not to change and some how this assumption became part of science.
Man they do that a lot.

Things will get interesting, by interesting I mean bad for climate cult belivers.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 12-23-2019 at 10:08 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-26-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #8007 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Were one to go back through the thread, they might find the part where Coronal Mass Ejection's energy input is mistakenly ascribed to humankind.

I think we should be gentle. People have a lot invested in their belief patterns.

Wish the anti-Trumpers a Merry Christmas, they'll find out soon enough.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #8008 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
It is hard to not be an anti-Trumper if you see that he doesn't understand windmills, and anything he says about them is comically wrong.
How long will proper Republicans stand behind this fraud?

I read Scott Adams blog back in the days and was curious about Trumps chances in the election, and happy to see him win as Scott Adams predicted he would.
Now I get that he's not there to do a job for America, or the Republicans, or anyone. Only for himself. And he'll do whatever needs to be done to help himself.

I discussed Trump with my dad back in the day. He was very scared of Trump, he said he's an American version of Hitler. I told him that's not the case; he's just a clever man who understands and utilizes other peoples motives for the better. But I could not convince my dad.

Now my dad was a.o. a HR manager and led the job assessment department of a big Dutch telecommunication company. I'm just a software developer, so he has so much more insight in human nature than I do that I cannot simply ignore his judgment.
And grudgingly at first, but now wholeheartedly, I have to admit he was right all along.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (12-27-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #8009 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

And I thought 'Merry Christmas' was edging close to being political.

If you've followed Scott Adams you know about two movies on one screen. I heard a meme that I think both sides can agree on (although they won't). Maybe the Mods can tell me if it would be Okay for a Signature: Trump 2020 — Greatest Impeachment Ever.

Or maybe: It's there in the Constitution — Precrimes and Misdemeanors.

It's all about the windmills, eh?

[Now it's Nordstroms showing ads for women in skimpy underwear. At least it's not that Godaddy/Lyn Carter full screen video]

By the way:

Galactic spiral arms don't exist any more than rainbows.

Edit: watching it again, Density Wave Theory obviates the need for Dark Matter.

Last edited by freebeard; 12-23-2019 at 08:35 PM..

Old 12-24-2019, 04:10 AM   #8010 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
I like how trump can make people in other countries hate him.

I credit the idiot extreamist democrats with 4 things.
I to give credit to those who deserve it.
They unified and consolidated the Republican party in a way that no republican ever could.
They alienated millions of reasonable moderate dems by caving in and meeting all the demands of the most extreme left.
They have driven, ore repelled a large portion of unaffiliated voters to the Republican side.
My favorite, the one that really takes the cake, that no republican could ever pull off, they restarted the militia movement after they promised to go after law abiding gun owners. Especially in Virginia.

Trump didn't do any of that.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam