Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFZO View Post
I just purchased a 94 Civic VX California version. I will be driving it to Colorado where I live.

I was looking to do the Federal conversion and I have read through your thread as well as a few others on the net.

I have two questions about the conversion.

1.) If I find a 5 wire O2 sensor, wire harness and Federal ECU will it all be "plug and play" on my VX without having to make/create a custom wire harness?

2.) I have read about needing a Federal version intake manifold and EGR control box to make this conversion complete. Are those two things necessary?

ZO.
Reading is one thing but its best to confirm that by going to any honda oem parts store online and pull up part numbers and compare. If you really read the OPs post he lists everything needed so, NO this is not plug and play because you need to wire in that 5 wire o2 sensor thats expensive as hell. Without that o2 that ecu is worth a damn.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Reading is one thing but its best to confirm that by going to any honda oem parts store online and pull up part numbers and compare. If you really read the OPs post he lists everything needed so, NO this is not plug and play because you need to wire in that 5 wire o2 sensor thats expensive as hell. Without that o2 that ecu is worth a damn.
Thanks for the education, but I did really read the OP's post.

You didn't read or answer either one of my questions. If it weren't for owning a federal 92 Vx now, I would still be looking for the answers. Thankfully I am not because your post is useless.

By the way, I own 5 5-wire O2 sensors. 4 used and one brand new Bosch. One I paid $50 for, another came in a ECU/O2 sensors package for $150, one installed in each Vx that I owned. And the brand new Bosch sensor was just sitting in the spare wheel well of my '92 when I bought it.

ZO.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:

You didn't read or answer either one of my questions. If it weren't for owning a federal 92 Vx now, I would still be looking for the answers. Thankfully I am not because your post is useless.

By the way, I own 5 5-wire O2 sensors. 4 used and one brand new Bosch. One I paid $50 for, another came in a ECU/O2 sensors package for $150, one installed in each Vx that I owned. And the brand new Bosch sensor was just sitting in the spare wheel well of my '92 when I bought it.

ZO.
Of course not, because the answers are obvious easy to find by cross referencing part numbers from a cali vx model to a federal vx model. So simple. The best part about making yourself look really useless is that you asked a question in a thread that tells you "HOW" to convert a cali vx to a federal vx. If it were that easy than it would be best to get the federal vx engine harness and be done with. PROBLEM SOLVED RIGHT? Damn so freakin easy to search.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:

ZO.
Also if it were indeed "Plug and Play" the op would've never made this DIY thread. Wouldn't that have click in your brain? Get real and stop acting cocking
Old 10-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #65 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Peace, brothers.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Of course not, because the answers are obvious easy to find by cross referencing part numbers from a cali vx model to a federal vx model. So simple. The best part about making yourself look really useless is that you asked a question in a thread that tells you "HOW" to convert a cali vx to a federal vx. If it were that easy than it would be best to get the federal vx engine harness and be done with. PROBLEM SOLVED RIGHT? Damn so freakin easy to search.
Here ya go tony, I did an internet search for you Internet Anger Management

Since you can't answer my questions, I'd like to respectfully ask you to leave my questions alone. Search or no search, maybe there is someone on here within this thread that would have the answer, or at the very least, a much more productive and positive response.

Good luck, my friend. I hope the search I did for you really helps.

ZO.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New guy has a question...

I registered here at Ecomodder just so I could get in on this thread!

I'm in the process of building my wiring harness right now. I'm about 75% finished and there's a part of the OP that I'm reading that I need clarification on....

Quote:
You create your custom harness by wiring them together as follows:

8-pin female.
pin 1 needs to be wired to 4-pin male, pin 4.
pin 2 needs to be wired to ground, G101.
pin 3 needs to be wired to 4-pin male, pin 2.
pin 4 needs to be wired to 6-pin male, pin 3.
pin 5 is not used.
pin 6 needs to be wired to 6-pin male, pin 2.
pin 7 needs to be wired to 6-pin male, pin 6.
pin 8 needs to be wired to 6-pin male, pin 5.
The wires from 4, 6, 7, and 8 need to be shielded, and the shield should be grounded.
Specifically, I'm looking at the last line where it says 4, 6, 7, and 8 need to be sheilded? what exactly does that mean? I'm putting the ground wire on the 8pin Female, pin 2. Do I need to do anything more to "shield" it?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #68 (permalink)
NightKnight

Subaru

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel

It was nearly 5 years ago when I built the harness & wrote the instructions so my memory may be off, but I believe I ignored that part of the instructions. What monroe74 was saying there was that those 4 wires should have shielding on them (which is a foil wrapping around the core wire(s)), as shown in the image below:

Then the shield itself (which the silver/gold wire is attached to in the pic above) should be grounded; to pin 2 would probably be fine.

The idea is that you don't want electromagnetic interference to corrupt the signal on those wires, as that could confuse the ECU. As I mentioned, I believe I ignored those instructions; I just pulled some wires out of my mess-o-wires box and soldered stuff together. I can't say if that's causing a problem; the car drives fine but I haven't compared a harness with the shielded wires vs my current harness.
The Following User Says Thank You to NachtRitter For This Useful Post:
VX Fuego (11-25-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thanks for clearing that up!! I'm 90% done building my harness, but I ran out of heat shrink!!! So, I'll pick that up tomorrow...

I might have some of that shielded 4-wire laying around and if so, I'll go the shielded route.

Even thought you wrote this 5 years ago, this write-up has been extremely helpful to me! Otherwise, I never would've attempted this.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #70 (permalink)
NightKnight

Subaru

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel

Thanks! Glad you found it useful

Reply  Post New Thread