Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
I have the feeling just getting one of those oddly shaped metal pieces that control vent settings and swapping it out for the one that receives "commands" from the bolt-on electric controller will work just fine. I tried to jimmy it so that the cable moves what the servo moved, but it just doesn't work. Not a priority anyway - I can reach that stuff with my hand and move it that way for now. Any ideas as to the pinout/use of that round 8 pin connector on the drivers side tower on the crx? Is that engine info going back in, or what?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #72 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Driver's side tower plug is ECM stuff... that one should contain the injector pins, the ground wires (switched lead) for the injectors (that's the ECM leads), and most of the "important" stuff.

I'm trying to think of what all each individual wire was for... I'm going to have to look around and see if I can find the pinout diagram again.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #73 (permalink)

Follow the wires back from that 8 pin plug... I know 5 of the wires are for the injectors, one goes to the resistor box, and 4 back to the injectors. (They have a common power, ECM switched ground x 4) I believe the other three are for the TPS, to be honest, but they may be for the IACV, the ECT, of one of a few others, although I believe those run to the right side of the car (pass side) through the firewall.

The wires aren't really hard to trace, though. Each one has it's own color in the engine subharness, so find the wire color you want to identify in the plug, then find the same wire color at one of the other plugs in the engine harness.

I have the pinouts for the ECM, when you need those. I can scan you a copy of the page, or just give you the ones you want for your swap.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've got all the pinout stuff printed (remember when I did the PGM-FI swap?). I actually got a hold of an 88 (not just any, but 88! How convenient.) CRX manual and a G10/G13 repair manual. There are some more helpful pinout diagrams people have made on forums that I'm using too.

...Welding time!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #75 (permalink)

Do yourself a favor before you follow those pinout diagrams (unless you found one specifically for an HF) and trace the wires anyway, just to be sure. There are some wires that have been transposed in the HF's harness to make way for the addition of EGR, and some other wires, I believe, were shifted to other points in the harness connections.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
Do yourself a favor before you follow those pinout diagrams (unless you found one specifically for an HF)
Do yourself a favor and get me a pinout for an 88 HF! Or else!

</sass>

The 88 HF repair manual I have has a big diagram with all the wire routing in addition to the pinout. I don't see EGR anywhere on the diagram though :-/

I'm kicking myself now because I forgot my CF card today when I was working, so I have no pics... A shame because I got a lot done.

I learned how to use and used for the first time:
Oxygen/Acetylene torch
Plasma Cutter
MIG welder

I made a totally custom (like totally, bro) pass. side mount, and a little reinvention of the driver side mount. I still have to make a rear mount, but I have a plan for that. I made a custom plate to mate the metro shift linkage with the crx because the solid bit of the CRX linkage is on the pass. side of the center of the car, but the metro's is on the driver's side... this is an irreconcilable difference when it comes to shift linkage, so I really won't have any use at all for the crx's shift linkage - oh well! Even though the two cars have the same track width, and the distance between the unibody around the engine bay is 1 1/2" wider in the CRX, things just worked out with the engine fitting best such that I had to chop only my pass side axle in half and make a pipe sheath. That wasn't too bad. The wheel hubs on the metro are also apparently wider than the crx, so I had to make some fancy huge washers to compensate for the extra splines sticking out - if I hadn't done this, the outer part of the axles would be able to move back and forth in the hub.

That's about it... I'll post some pictures tomorrow then - they will explain more than my words here. Sleepytime.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wahoo!!! Great news, and a lesson in NYS law: Contrary to my understanding, I just learned today that one doesn't need to physically have a title to be able to register a vehicle and put it on the road. All that is required is proof that the title is currently being processed, which is the case for me. Chances are very good we'll see the CRXFi at the green grand prix!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #78 (permalink)

Woot! about the registration. You should have a receipt for the payment process when you did the title work, so you should be good to go!

I don't know if you remember ever seeing an HF manifold, but on the pass-side of the intake manifold (cyl #4, specifically) there's a "thingy" that's not on any other MPFI manifolds. I can't say specially that it's EGR, but it's a thingy that's not there for the others. I never cared enough to check on it, it never malfunctioned for me, so it was never a part of my "looking over".

Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pictures!
Pass. mount:

Driver mount:

Rear mount:

Shift Linkage:

Pass. axle

Whole car on the lift:

Tomorrow:
-Registration & temp. inspection sticker
-Finish making exhaust fit
-Paint welded areas
-Battery mount? or may have to mount battery inside car.
-Get some elbows so the coolant hoses can get to the radiator (anode and cathode hoses are in front of exhaust manifold (towards the passenger side) instead of in front of the transmission where they belong (or where the engine "expects" them to be)

Weds.: Windshield replacement
-Don't quite know what else

???

Profit!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #80 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Hope everything goes well this week... I'm really looking forward to seeing the car at GGP.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread