Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
trikkonceptz -

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
Believe me its not for me ... my dealership is going to invest in it as a distributor, with an installed price of $1799 We have the demand for it already, I just wanted some fresh eyes to look it over in case there was something I missed. It looks and sound theoretically possible and they have done a butload of research to make sure it generates the proper amount of gas and such.

I just figured if anyone could find flaws in this we could .. LOL
Ok, that's different. I'll spend more time on the site than just looking at the pri$e.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Because of the low current the creator says it takes about 30 days for the unit to begin producing hydrogen efficiently.
My, how convenient - for the con artist, I mean. The 30-day delay for the effects to show up means a lot of gullible marks can be parted from their money, before said con artist needs to skip town with the swag.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The need for distilled water is simply to keep the unit clean. As the water is broken down any impurities will remain. Eventually the generator needs to be refilled as it'll run out of water. The impurities continue to build up and will eventually short the generator.
The thing MUST have the salt in there in order to work! Salt IS an impurity, too. And yes, any and all impurities will built up as a crust on the electrodes.

So again, why would one use distilled water -- and then add an impurity? (Which will build up inside the plates.) The only reason I can think of is to try and control the rate of conductance -- though he sure doesn't measure it, like he said in the instructions...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 06-14-2008, 07:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

88CRX - '88 Honda CRX Standard DX
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IS250 - '07 Lexus IS250
90 day: 25.79 mpg (US)

RX300 - '00 Lexus RX300
90 day: 18.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
88CRX -

110% agreement here. For HHO to work, the car must be reconfigured for lean burn. That's one of the reasons it's a PITA to make work. A diesel engine likes to "go-lean" by design, so it is a better ICE for the job.

I have an HHO generator from www.hydrogen-boost.com. just like Daox says, I haven't had any results. However, I have not been willing to implement all the mods required for "the system" to work. This includes MAP and 02 sensor spoofs, and a fuel heater (using waste heat from engine coolant).

If I had to do it all over again, I would seriously *consider* this gizmo :

HydranOx - $400
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/hydro...x/hydranox.php

The reason I am curious about it is that it *claims* to separate the H2 from the 02. If the gizmo is only sending H2 into the air intake, this would remove the need to modify the 02 sensor, which I like, . But, I wouldn't pump the 02 into the cabin of the car, that's for sure.

I am not saying that the above gizmo is not a scam, I am just saying that it claims to solve an existing deficiency with HHO designs.

CarloSW2
So you have an HHO in your car now. no differences huh... how much did it cost?

I believe that there might be merit, but only certain cars.

It would seem like something free for nothing, but i reality you have to check it often put water, clean etc. so it does not end up free...
Old 06-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
trikkonceptz -

Quote:
Believe me its not for me ... my dealership is going to invest in it as a distributor, with an installed price of $1799 We have the demand for it already, I just wanted some fresh eyes to look it over in case there was something I missed. It looks and sound theoretically possible and they have done a butload of research to make sure it generates the proper amount of gas and such.

I just figured if anyone could find flaws in this we could .. LOL
I did some more reading but I don't understand parts of it. There is no traditional catalyst, just mineral water :

Gerolsteiner Spring Water - Sparkling
http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Wa...rolsteiner.asp
Code:
Gerolsteiner Analysis BOTTLED WATER ANALYSIS:
milligrams per liter (mg/l)
2527 	TDS 	
	ph factor 	
347 	Calcium 	
39.7 	Chlorides 	
0.21 	Fluordine 	
1817 	Bicarbonate - See (1) below
108 	Magnesium 	
0.4 	Maganese 	
5.1 	Nitrate 	
10.8 	Potassium 	
40.2 	Silica 	
119 	Sodium 	
2.9 	Stroncium 	
36.3 	Sulphates
After initially charging the system with mineral water, you switch to distilled water. Usually, for the system "to work", I would think they must have a (nasty) catalyst. Because of this my vivid imagination makes me think that they have done something exotic with the interior metal conduction plates (which have to be there), but I have no proof. They are claiming stainless steel, but that doesn't seem enough to me :

(Technology Tab)
http://hydro4000.com/technology.htm
Quote:
... For example, using iron electrodes in an electrolyte solution will produce iron oxide at the anode, which will react to form iron hydroxide. When producing large quantities of hydrogen, this can significantly contaminate the electrolytic cell reducing its hydrogen output. This is why our HYDRO-4000 is made entirely of stainless steel.
(1) I noticed the Bicarbonate component to the mineral water. For some HHO generators, people have claimed that bicarbonate soda (Arm & Hammer) would work as a catalyst. Others have said this is a bogus catalyst.

I am expecting a "catch can" to catch the H2 and 02 that reforms back into liquid, but it isn't there. Also, If they are adding 02 to the air intake without separating it, they need to modify the 02 sensor to make sure the ECU/PCM doesn't add more fuel.

It just seems too "simple" to me. To appear this simple up front, I think it should have more explanation as to why it is so simple. The "simplicity" could be a selling point where they say "we have this advantage over our competition, blah blah blah yada yada yada ...", but they don't.

Question: When you interact with them in person, do they give you more information than what is on the website? For example, what happens in a typical installation?

CarloSW2

Last edited by cfg83; 06-14-2008 at 01:49 PM..
Old 06-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
88CRX -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
So you have an HHO in your car now. no differences huh... how much did it cost?

I believe that there might be merit, but only certain cars.

It would seem like something free for nothing, but i reality you have to check it often put water, clean etc. so it does not end up free...
I spent $500 about 2 years ago on a closeout system before he hiked his prices. It came with a scangauge, so I consider the cost to be about $350. I also did the "typical customer thing" and ignored the installation instructions. He told me time and again to install the *whole* system, but I only installed the hydrogen generator. He wanted me to install an 02 and Map sensor spoof, along with a fuel heater, but I didn't.

This summer I will have an EFIE (02 sensor voltage modifier) in place, and a DC motor controller to limit the Amperage (to control HHO production overrun). Still no fuel heater or Map sensor spoof. We'll see what happens.

It's definitely not for free. There is a lot of care and feeding involved. In his newsletter, he even claimed that it's not very efficient for hypermilers because we are driving small displacement vehicles under very low-load conditions. It's more appropriate for vehicles or stationary engines that are "doing work". We Hypermile because we have a choice on how and what we drive. A diesel engine at a worksite has more narrow load usage conditions. A trucker has to haul X-Amount of weight. He/she can't say "I'll haul the load, but you'll have to take everything out of the boxes in order for me to save weight".

This is all my opinion, YOMV.

CarloSW2

Old 06-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
-cfg83

The setup is very simple ... you tap the intake after the MAP sensor avoiding such problems with air fuel ratios .. the only variable is the ECU leaning back the fuel once it realizes it needs less to combust in the chamber. They claim that the Hydrogen created is browns gas and other than the mineral water to start it, distilled water is all you need to maintain it. They claim there is no cleaning or maintenance involved once you install it.

Their only caution is that you install it below the level of the air intake. Also the unit has a pretty hefty air filter, but otherwise, simplicity it is.

Currently the Palm beach sherrif's office is putting 2 units in their cruisers to see what results they get. With the beating those cars take any positive change will be a good boost for their product.

Mind you they have video dyno tests of thir unit working on a vehicle with and without. They basically moved an established system into this test vehicle to see immeadiate results. The dyno confirmed improvements of 7 miles per gallon I think. They did the run with and empty tank adding 1 gallon of gas each time, once without the unit as baseline and a second time with it for their tests.

Who knows this may actually work, I figured you guys could sniff out a rat if it were to good to be true.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 06-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.43 mpg (US)
I think people are saying "MAP" and meaning "MAF"

MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor
MAF - Mass Air Flow sensor

I was just coming here to post up about the Hydro 4000, but I searched first and found this thread. The idea sounds very appealing, using wasted energy from the alternator to split water and create fuel. I would love to hear any first hand experience anyone has had with it. It really does sound too good to be true.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
...using wasted energy from the alternator to split water and create fuel.
What wasted energy from the alternator? The alternator only converts the mechanical energy of the engine to electricity, and it only does so when electricity is needed. If you take energy from the alternator to run this hydrogen generator, that will put more load on your engine, and decrease your fuel economy.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
What wasted energy from the alternator? The alternator only converts the mechanical energy of the engine to electricity, and it only does so when electricity is needed. If you take energy from the alternator to run this hydrogen generator, that will put more load on your engine, and decrease your fuel economy.
But an alternator doesn't shut itself off when the battery is full, it keeps right on spinning. As opposed to say the air conditioner which has a clutch that engages when the A/C is turned on and disengages when the A/C is turned off. Unless there is some huge gap in my understanding of how an alternator works.

Reply  Post New Thread