Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #121 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I have a bentley, even better

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #122 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
It may be better organized if folks made car specific wiki pages w/kill switch and whatnot info.

Main Page - EcoModder
I started a new thread on how to kill a diesel, just so we don't get lost here.

Killing a Diesel - a detailed how-to (much info on commonrail technology)

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #123 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Update, sorry this didn't sink into my head till now, but on the metro at least (and probably many other cars) YOU ONLY NEED TO INTERRUPT THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR CIRCUIT. I just ran some real world tests to confirm this. This would be a good wiki thing.

Let me explain,

interrupting the camshaft sensor tells the computer that the engine is now doing 0 rpm. The computer responds by sending out an ignition signal appropriate for 0 rpm AND an injector signal appropriate for 0 rpm. In other words, it stops both the ignition and the injector.

I confirmed this by monitoring the mpguino instant injHIus while coasting in gear while pressing the camshaft circuit interrupt kill switch. when I hit the switch, the injHIus would go to 0 even though the engine was still turning over via engine braking. I believe the ignition is also being killed because the car shuts down cleanly but havent confirmed with an actual test (i.e. play with the timing light and the kill switch).

So the actual circuit could just be a normally closed switch put in series with the camshaft sensor.

Other cars might be different, that is where the wiki would be useful.
Hmm. Very interesting. I have been thinking about this for my Dodge RAM. A fuel cut-off for downhills would be great, especially since my truck's dogamatic will downshift if the cruise control is engaged and I go down a hill...
The Following User Says Thank You to ECONORAM For This Useful Post:
Jethro (01-15-2010)
Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #124 (permalink)
Getting BETTER Mileage

Lucky No 19 - '11 Ram 1500 Express ST

Venti - '13 Ram 2500 Tradesman
I am planning on unpluggin the cam sensor with the engine running and see what happens. If this kills it, well, I'm going to put a N.C. pushbutton to kill it. I'm not sold as to where to mount it, of if I just want a toggle switch. Around here there are ALOT of long hills (I can coast for over 2 mi on one hill in particular) It'd be nice to just kill the ignition.

I am also thinking of a push button start. Best I understand all I need to do is trigger the solenoid on the starter correct? Killing the radio gets really annoying, so much so I rarely kill the car. If the ignition is in 'run' and 0 RPM engine off, and I hit the starer it should fire right up... Right? Guess I can test this too. Just needs to warm up already!
Old 01-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #125 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
im curious if the neon camshaft sensor kills both ignition and fuel, that would be preferable over and injector kill.

I take at least 2 trips a year over the grapevine, and on the way home i can coast for 15+ miles at over 55 mph. EOC would be awesome on those trips.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #126 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
FYI, make sure you are cutting the fuel at a minimum, or taking other precautions:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...age-12014.html

FYI, the cam signal interrupt does stop the fuel on a 98 metro, the crank signal interrupt does stop the fuel on a 97 saturn, per mpguino gph readings with the kill switch held in.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #127 (permalink)
halos.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I'm thinking about joining the kill-switch crowd (Christ will call me a follower ), so I asked on my local Peugeot forum how to kill the engine w/o fooling around with the key in the ignition. Someone mentioned the camshaft position sensor and after googling I see that's the way many ecomodders went. So I ask the Peugeot guys where to look for that sensor and its wires in my engine (1.6HDi) and guess what? I get about 10 answers, none of them helpful "Why do you want to kill the engine?" "Oh that may be hard." "Some cars can be stopped and started with a remote control. I have one of those setups. If anyone is interested, drop me a PM." etc. Kinda PI$$ED me off.

So even though this site doesn't specialize in HDi turbodiesels, the users are much more friendly and helpful That's why I ask: Does anyone have any idea where to look for my camshaft sensor's wires? Do you think I'll have to take the engine apart to find them? I've looked for (and asked for) wiring diagrams for my engine, but it seems to be too new, I can only find specs for the older units. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Do you happen to own a repair manual? It should have a wiring diagram that will show you where the wire is. All my diesel time is on cars w/o electronics in the injection system, so I can't help you with the cam sensor location. You might see if there is an optical sensor near the camshaft pulley, or find a mechanic at the Peugeot dealer who will tell you.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #128 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
Do you happen to own a repair manual? It should have a wiring diagram that will show you where the wire is. All my diesel time is on cars w/o electronics in the injection system, so I can't help you with the cam sensor location. You might see if there is an optical sensor near the camshaft pulley, or find a mechanic at the Peugeot dealer who will tell you.
Most of the time that I've seen, cam sensors are on the backend of the cam, or in the distributor.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 AM   #129 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
In the Killing a diesel thread Ecoxantia gave a link to a detailed text on HDi engines. I mentioned there that I found my cam sensor, but unplugging it didn't stop the engine, only prevented it from starting. Unplugging the crankshaft sensor had no effect (didn't stop engine, didn't prevent from starting, no code). I didn't get to try pulling both at the same time before it got cold, but my new approach will be either killing the low-pressure fuel pump, or grounding the fuel pressure sensor in the high-pressure rail. Both will have to wait until spring, as the car frozen solid (the last week saw temperatures as low as -30*C/-22*F, so the car wouldn't start anyway).

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 01-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #130 (permalink)
halos.com

Hmm. I recall my VW Rabbit diesel had a little solenoid on the end of the injector pump. There was a single wire that got +12v to open, and that would allow fuel to go to the injectors. Otherwise, the engine would just turn over. If you have a mechnical injector pump, this wire might be the key.
-30C!! Good gravy, that is COLD!

Reply  Post New Thread