Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #351 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee
US now leads the world in number of COVFEFE virus cases.

I don't suppose all that early waffling and diddling around had anything to do with it.
Shilling for the Chinese, are we?

Who was it beat us to closing the border? Russia and Mongolia? The waffle diddling happening in Congress no problem?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-26-2020, 10:55 PM   #352 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Who was it beat us to closing the border? Russia and Mongolia? The waffle diddling happening in Congress no problem?
We didn't close the border with China. On January 31st, we banned foreign nationals that had traveled to China in the past 14 days from entering the USA. US citizens, permanent residence and their families were allowed to return.

The government did this after American, Delta, United, Air France, British Airways, and SAS had announce they were no longer flying to China.

Here is Trump saying COVID 19 isn't as severe as the common flu on March 5th. (After bragging he had things under control because he closed the border with China).

Sean Hannity:

I know you have Vice President Pence at the helm of running this task force, and people like Dr. Anthony Fauci, who is warning it could be a pandemic, it could get worse. And, at times, we might have to take more severe safety measures.

Donald Trump:

That's right.

We have a report today the global death rate at 3.4 percent, and a report that the Olympics could be delayed. Your reaction to that?

Donald Trump:

Well, I think the 3.4 percent is really a false number. Now, this is just my hunch, and -- but based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this, because a lot of people will have this, and it's very mild. They will get better very rapidly. They don't even see a doctor. They don't even call a doctor.

You never hear about those people. So, you can't put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and -- or virus. So you just can't do that. So, if we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work -- some of them go to work, but they get better.

And then, when you do have a death, like you have had in the state of Washington, like you had one in California -- I believe you had one in New York -- you know, all of a sudden, it seems like three or four percent, which is a very high number, as opposed to -- as opposed to a fraction of one percent. But, again, they don't know about the easy cases, because the easy cases don't go to the hospital.

They don't report to doctors or the hospital in many cases. So I think that that number is very high. I think the number -- personally, I would say the number is way under one percent. Now, with the regular flu, we average from 27,000 to 77,000 deaths a year. Who would think that? I never knew that, until six or eight weeks ago.

I asked that question. I said, how many people die of the flu? You keep hearing about flu shot, flu shot, take your flu shot. But I said, how many people die of the flu? And they said, sir, we lose between 27,000 and, you know, somewhere in the 70s. I think we went as high as 100,000 people died in 1990, if you can believe that.

But a lot of people, regardless, I think it averages about 36,000 people a year. So I said, wow. And that's -- now, that's a percentage that's under one percent very substantially. So, it would be interesting to see what that difference is. But, you know, again, a lot of people don't report, because they get the coronavirus, and they get better relatively quickly. It's not that severe.

Then they start talking about nobody giving him credit for killing a Iranian general in an airstrike in Iraq.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Fit_is_slo (03-28-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 11:06 PM   #353 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

I don't have to shill for anyone. Any non-MAGAt can clearly see what happened.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:01 AM   #354 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Any non-MAGAt can clearly see what happened.
Sounds like an over-generalization about a fairly large group. Am I included or excluded?

Does 'what happened' involve Ft. Detrick, MD?

edit:
Quote:
I don't have to shill for anyone.
So you're saying you could stop if you wanted to?

Last edited by freebeard; 03-27-2020 at 01:58 AM..

Old 03-27-2020, 02:08 AM   #355 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
11,062 deaths in 5 days

I didn't want to do this! I really didn't want to do this!

[uses Google]

freebeard, are you talking about this? Deadly Germ Research Is Shut Down at Army Lab Over Safety Concerns?

I understand they were trying to fight girls' cooties.

I found an error in my averages by about half a percent. Instead, at our current rate, everyone in the world will have it June twenty-first.

"The Trump administration is planning to issue guidelines categorizing counties across the nation as high-risk, medium-risk or low-risk to help state and local authorities decide whether to bolster or relax social distancing measures intended to combat the novel coronavirus." -WSJ

"The coronavirus pandemic could kill more than 81,000 people in the United States in the next four months and may not subside until June, according to a data analysis done by University of Washington School of Medicine." -Reuters

What will make it subside besides reaching everyone that will eventually get it?

"Brazil’s governors pressed President Jair Bolsonaro on Thursday for more federal support in the coronavirus battle after he blasted them as job-killers and undermined their orders with a decree keeping churches open at evangelical preachers’ request. " -Reuters

"Leaders of the Group of 20 major economies pledged to inject $5 trillion in fiscal spending into the global economy to blunt the economic impact of the coronavirus and `do whatever it takes to overcome the pandemic.'” -Reuters

"President Vladimir Putin said he hoped Russia would defeat the virus in two to three months, as authorities suspended international flights, ordered most shops in the capital to shut and halted some church services." -Reuters

"Australia entered 4,000 healthcare workers into a trial to see if a century-old vaccine for tuberculosis can fight off the new coronavirus." -Reuters

They vaccinated them and then gave them coronavirus?

Unemployment will pay the equivalent of $21 an hour, 40 hours a week. I work two jobs and rarely make that much.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:41 AM   #356 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Was the WHO influenced by China?

This post argues that China influenced the WHO to name Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus director-general and he repeated their talking points during the early days of coronavirus. They want us to believe that people died all over the world because this guy repaid political favors.

They gave sources, like Financial Times, CNN, and Reuters, but I did not check them. I need to be up in less than five hours!

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mf8gDyk

What do you guys think?

Old 03-27-2020, 04:55 AM   #357 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
We do not have enough tests in the Netherlands and we don't have the necessary means of treatment either.
Our statistics do not seem terribly out of line with the countries around us until you dig deeper.

A lot of people die of pneumonia nowadays, more than are even attributed to Corona. The problem is that the number of non-Corona pneumonia deaths has tripled during the outbreak. It only counts as Corona when there's a positive test, but there's a shortage of tests so most deceased are not tested.

Then there is a sharp rise in deaths that are not attributed to a cause at all; typically people who die without going to hospital. They go to bed with high fever and never wake up again. They are not tested as that won't help them, nor can they tell anymore who they've met in the last 2 weeks.

We were at 434 official deaths this morning, but realistically there must be more than 1000 Corona deaths outside of the tally.

There are undoubtedly many more people (than the 7,431 registered ones) who are infected but show no or only light symptoms.
Also, thousands of people have already recovered but then again registration lacks badly (3 officially...!) because they need to be tested twice before officially getting that status.

Dutch medics rely heavily on the products of the reliable Swiss pharmacy firm Roche. But Switzerland is up to its neck in Corona too and we're pulling the short straw now.
We can make many of the stuff they make ourselves, except for secret formula stuff.
They decided to not license that out, which is their good right of course, but will likely cause thousands of unnecessary deaths.
We take note and will not forget.
EDIT Roche has just released the recipe for the lysisbuffer, an important ingredient for Corona tests. We may at last catch up with tests!

We got some spare respirators (a.o.) from China. Now they've got the situation in their own country pretty much under control they have an overage. We need them badly.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 03-27-2020 at 12:42 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 05:39 AM   #358 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
This post argues that China influenced the WHO to name Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus director-general and he repeated their talking points during the early days of coronavirus. They want us to believe that people died all over the world because this guy repaid political favors.

They gave sources, like Financial Times, CNN, and Reuters, but I did not check them. I need to be up in less than five hours!

What do you guys think?
I think you're wasting your time. It no longer matters whether this is true or not.
Blaming China does not help you or anyone.
Rather, we should learn from their approach (at least their approach from February onward) and buy their med supplies as long as the world is still running short of them.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:58 AM   #359 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

What do you guys think?
I thought our Administration liked people who repeat government talking points. And I agree fully that people are dying because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I think you're wasting your time. It no longer matters whether this is true or not.
Because politics. In case anyone in the media doesn't repeat government talking points, it helps drown them out. As Trey Parker and Marc Shaiman wrote, "We must blame them and cause a fuss before someone thinks of blaming us".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #360 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Rather, we should learn from their approach (at least their approach from February onward) and buy their med supplies as long as the world is still running short of them.
Our current government talking points are:

1. We will have this handled by Easter and people will go back to normal
2. The financial cost of saving lives is not worth it.
3. If anything has gone wrong it wasn't our fault. To quote Trump: "“Yeah, no, I don’t take responsibility at all". (That was specifically an answer to the delay in getting test kits - which we still don't have enough of)

Yes, responsible people and organizations have to push back against that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (03-27-2020), Xist (03-27-2020)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread