Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
A Jiffy Lube once took out my filter to show it to me. Since that's something I can do myself, I just told them to not change it. A week later I bought the filter, opened the filter box and realized that they never put the dirty filter back in--I had been running without an air filter for a week.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.59 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmomni View Post
OR the Jiffy Lube Pro who filled my car with 5/30w even after I paid the extra $10 for semi-sythetic 5/20w that was spec for the Mazda.
This is why I would never bring my Civic anywhere for an oil change. I know I would get it back with 5W30 in it (0W20 is spec'd), and probably missing it's belly pan too. An experienced mechanic once told me to put 10W30 in a Ford van that ran 5W20. I know enough not to listen, but do his other customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmomni View Post
My Camry oil filter sits at a 45 degree upright position right over cross member. Messy change unless I do the drain all oil, put oil plug back on, start car, shut off after 5 seconds, drain rest of oil. That seems to get the cup or so oil out of the oil filter. Spin it off quick and turn it upside down and no mess.

Pete
That's genius, isn't it? My folks have a '99 Camry with the 2.2. Every time I look at that I scratch my head and wonder who would think to locate an oil filter there.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
The PRC.

If you spill a ton of oil cat litter is pretty good at soaking it up. If you get it quick enough it doesn't leave much of a stain either.

Mechanics, gaerages arrgh.

I used to wrench my cars back in the good old days but less so now. Back then I had more time and no money, now I have neither of both

When I got my current car they promised a service (it was used) so it went back a week or so later. I checked it when it came back and the oil was fresh, filter changed and fluids all up to the right level. All seemed OK.

A couple of days later I heard a rattle from a front wheel. So thinking maybe a loose pad or something scraping I went to take the wheel off. As I pulled the cover for the bolts off out fell the locking wheel nut. Oh oh.

Then I went to put it back on and it wouldn't go on at all. It turned out that the DPO had decided to spend hundreds of quid on new wheels and tyres (aftermarket and I hate them) but not the extra 20 or so on the correct locking nuts. And worse the garage had just been banging them on for the half turn they would do and hoping they wouldn't come loose.

And then there was the Volvo dealer which would charge 70 quid for oil I could buy for 30 and 10 quid to top up the already full screenwash and wanted to replace front brakes for 400 quid for an MOT (safety test) pass when the other garage quoted 180 quid, said it wasn't needed and put the car through the MOT which it passed with no work done at all anyway.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I made a placard that I first show to the service manger, then place on the dash so it could be seen through the windshield:

"OWNER SPECIFIED TIRE PRESSURE IS 40PSI ALL AROUND"

...I've only found the tires back at 32PSI once; and, that tire shop now knows WHY I'm "...NOT a happy camper..." and NOT one of their "...comeback customers."

Last edited by gone-ot; 06-19-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Old 06-20-2010, 03:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I was going down a busy street in brewer maine...looked over at a quick lube I worked at as a teen in the early 90s (over 2000 faultless servicings) Someone tried to make it a curtain shop..but the other day
noticed it had become a "citgo oil lube"..and there was a little car on the lawn as if to be a raffle. Nice to see bigger money took over with a brand name... maybe I'll go check to see if they need a part time manager. (local, citgo is a "good" on the gas station ok list)

going back checking for part time 17 years later just as hopeless as a starving teen...

I remember 110 car days, me being one of two pitmen. if someone makes a mistake, its like a pilot crashing an f16....the quantity was a damn blur for some of those workers. It brke every labor law known to a waiter, and got away with it...

I only saw manufactured mistakes (bad oil filters rare..pcv bad all the freakin time) , no user errors, except computers.

as I said..glad to see a big brand name attempting it. I am interested.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Neddy Seagoon

TRD Vibe - '09 Pontiac Vibe
I always do my own oil/filter changes on all our cars and bikes. I had bad experiences with the quick lube shops, i.e wrong oil filters or missing dip sticks!! they told me it must have fell out due to the car being a stick shift!!!!!!. My last one was on my 09 Vibe this year before I drove to Florida, I had the car in for a recall ( sticking gas pedal ) and they offered me a real cheap oil change, so I said what the hell ok go ahead. The car was sitting for hours before they did it, it normally takes me 20 mins or so to do it myself. Anyway all was well until a few weeks later when I went to change the oil after the trip, I found the filter was not on that tight at all!! That's the last time I will let them change my oil.
Also the dealerships want you to have the wheels rotated and brakes checked, I told them I rotate them when I swap winter to summer wheels and back again, and I inspect my brakes when I swap wheels ( not that I use my brakes much ). I was even told one time my brakes were dirty and needed servicing ( this was during the winter ) of course they are dirty I told them look outside at the crud on the road and you will see why!!
Remember this is how they make their money.

Have a good one, Neddy Seagoon.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Last time I took my car in to a Jiffy lube the moron on the other end of the wrench WAY overtightened the drain plug to the point I couldn't remove it with a pipe wrench! i then took it to a Jiffy lube, told the manager the problem, and managed to get the plug off with a special socket meant to basically destroy the head of the bolt, but remove it nonetheless.

I'm hoping to be hired by a Jiffy Lube type place in the next week, so we'll have someone who knows a crankshaft from a camshaft in the oil and lube business!

On the bit about garages trying to upsell their customers, I've a story for that one. My babysitter has a POS Dodge van that is a headache to work on, but since I resurrected it from the grace so to speak she always takes it to me for a cheap service. She once decided to take her van to the Dodge dealership to fix the electric windoes that didn't always want to roll up and down. Thing about it was, if you held your tongue right, they would both work, but if the didn't work, they were both inoperable. Some guy at the dealership wanted $400 to change out both the motors for the windows (she said adios at that point.) Thing about it is, what were the chances of both motors going out at once, and intermittently at that, and simultaneously? Someone there needed a class in critical thought for certain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.

Last edited by ShadeTreeMech; 06-20-2010 at 08:54 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread