Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #5811 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
price

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Okay, so I shouldn't be PO'd if instead the utility said "Good news everyone, you'll all get the same amount of power but pay 1.9x the amount".

It's not double the price, but it's near enough. If the prices hold steady, rising wages should create price parity by what, 2050?
Wind is already the cheapest.It's beyond parity.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (05-13-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #5812 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As a New York state resident most of my life I am familiar with state politics. Programs tried here have historically been proposed to the rest of the country. Unfortunately the current crop of downs state Democrats are technically inept and hungry for power. Their proposals rise to criminal nuisance. We can and should do much better. See Toyota 2030 program as an intelligent and effective approach. The root causes are uncovered when we ask"Why?" enough times. Thank you to those posting information. I want to be able to make thoughtful recommendations to my Assemblyman, state Senator, and Congressman. Land usage does not get enough attention. The other question is can our electrical grid reliably handle the increase in demand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #5813 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

solar forcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
*Pre-1999 radiometric data was off by up to an order of magnitude.
*The data represented is non-factual.
*While solar irradiance is certainly a factor in climate,it is not the driver.
*The ozone layer acts like a living 'iris'.Higher irradiance photochemically produces higher concentration of ozone,which blocks the increase in UV radiation reaching the ground.When solar output lessens,ozone,an unstable molecule to begin with,biodegrades,reducing the ozone concentration,allowing more UV to reach the ground.
*The amount of UV insolation at ground level regulates the amount of infrared radiation in the troposphere,where the 'climate' is.
*Higher concentrations of CO2 and Methane block the infrared's ability to radiate to space,warming the planet,exactly like Venus.
*Paleoclimatic records show that all warming events were always accompanied by an increase in atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases.
*Average,mean,global surface temperature has continued to rise since the onset of the Industrial Revolution.
*As the Sun has grown dimmer the planet continues to set heat records.
*Local and regional variability in temperature is not an unforeseen phenomena of anthopogenically-induced climate change.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #5814 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
As a New York state resident most of my life I am familiar with state politics. Programs tried here have historically been proposed to the rest of the country. Unfortunately the current crop of downs state Democrats are technically inept and hungry for power. Their proposals rise to criminal nuisance. We can and should do much better. See Toyota 2030 program as an intelligent and effective approach. The root causes are uncovered when we ask"Why?" enough times. Thank you to those posting information. I want to be able to make thoughtful recommendations to my Assemblyman, state Senator, and Congressman. Land usage does not get enough attention. The other question is can our electrical grid reliably handle the increase in demand.
There would be no technological barrier,although, since humans are involved in that calculus,then its anybody's guess.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #5815 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

funding

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If I had trillions......

Anything can be viewed through a political or religious frame. Other frames might be scientific or statistical or economic.

Look at the science. Is aerohead right about the Electric Universe and Space Weather? The news from space today is that galaxies are shaped less like a frisbee and more like a jelly fish. The visible stars trail tendrils of gas that are hard to see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellyfish_galaxy

Cold weather causes famine, rising temperature causes more CO2.
Glad someones willing to fund basic research.We monkeys still want an explanation for our origins.
As to visibility,any object above absolute zero will emit a radio frequency electromagnetic signature which can be computer-colorized to help us visualize their details.
Same for any others of the spectrum.Spectrometers rock!

Old 05-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #5816 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Critical metals/minerals

The subject came up about strategic materials and our future.Here are some mentioned:
bauxite
caustic soda
coal
copper
diamond
gallium
germanium
indium
iron oxide
lead
limestone
lime
nickel
rare earths (perhaps some are already listed here)
silver
tantalum
tellurium
uranium
vanadium
zinc sulfide

Old 05-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #5817 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lithium supply

According to the May,2019,National Geographic Magazine,the world estimated deposits (terrestrial) for lithium is 53-million metric tonnes,or
116,865,000,000-pounds.
It would be enough for 834,750,000 Tesla Model S cars.
If streamlined to Cd 0.12,you could build 939,093,750 Model S's.
Or if you made shorter range cars with just half the capacity,you could do 1,669,500,000 model S's.
1,878,187,500 streamlined models S's.
At 2017 global car production levels,this would be 22-years of production.
And then there's the world's oceans.
Presently,the following countries have proven lithium deposits,either in brine or hard rock:
Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Bolivia
Canada
Chile
China
Congo
Czechia
Germany
Mali
Mexico
Portugal
Russia
Serbia
Spain
USA
Zimbabwe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sodium is presently undergoing R&D as a battery technology.
Same for Graphene,a single atomic thickness form of graphite,which is said to be infinitely cyclable,and totally recyclable.

Last edited by aerohead; 05-11-2019 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: correct redundancy

Old 05-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #5818 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Normalize prices to include hidden costs,then do the comparison.Wind is the cheapest energy on Earth.Today.
Figuring all of the externalities of all non renewable resource depletion, assigning a value to them with a view to deep time, and figuring in all of the costs of waste streams, will require an all new world view of the market system that only a handful of us are willing to admit and participate in. Everything will have to change.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-11-2019), Grant-53 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #5819 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

change

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Figuring all of the externalities of all non renewable resource depletion, assigning a value to them with a view to deep time, and figuring in all of the costs of waste streams, will require an all new world view of the market system that only a handful of us are willing to admit and participate in. Everything will have to change.
Maybe it will just evolve one day at a time.The market would like that.The economy is prone to enough instability as it is.Nobody wants a meltdown.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #5820 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
Since you don't provide specifics I'll guess:
  • mini nova: I went over to NASA and looked.I didn't see anything related to climate.What am I looking for? The CHANDRA satellite is looking in the X-ray spectrum.
  • Earth's atmosphere is completely opaque to X-ray.It can't affect the Earth.
  • Relativistic charged-particles from a nova will begin to be deflected 11-billion miles from the Sun,at the Heliopause (Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF)).And again above 215-miles elevation above Earth.
  • Some particles will strike the atmosphere and create secondary particles.And those routinely penetrate us.We're mainly space,so they just blow through the orbital space between our atom's nuclei and electron cloud.These may be responsible for life on Earth.
  • If the Sun's magnetic field is stronger,there will be fewer cosmic particles reaching Earth.
  • Earthquakes,Volcanoes,sea-floor spreading,Mountain ranges,and volcanic islands are all possible due to the axial asymmetry of Earth's core and the tidal effects it creates.Suspicious Observer would have the listener believe that they're controlled by the Solar/Earth electromagnetic coupling.
  • Refrigerator magnets have 100X the magnetic strength of the Sun.
  • Refrigerator magnets have 1000X the strength of Earth's magnetic field.
  • If electromagnetic fields were responsible for earthquakes and volcanic eruptions,we'd have to be looking at refrigerators and computer hard drives as the causal agents.
Please let me know specifically what else I need to address.
Formatting. Dropping the asterisks and applying an unordered list is less keystrokes.

The Sun's Heliosphere extends to beyond Pluto, much larger that a refrigerator magnet. The gradient is steeper and much longer.

I'd have to refresh my memory but the theory is that one thing affects the timing and another the location of earthquakes. It's predictive.

Quote:
Some particles will strike the atmosphere and create secondary particles.And those routinely penetrate us.
It the upper end of the scale the 'particles' reach the surface on fire or bury themselves in it.

What do you think of the hypothesis that the Sun is black (i.e., radiating in UV), and the Photosphere is visibly luminescent. It's not just contrast in the imaging.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-15-2019)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam